Altering default trail behavior on 60CSX -- possible?

  • pinkheadedbug
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2006
      I took my 60CSX for an off-road bike ride today and I find the default trail behavior annoying... it seems that if the unit can't establish a position, it creates a breadcrumb on the nearest road. As a result my trails jag back and forth between the trail and the nearest road -- extremely irritating. Is there a way to set the unit to not leave a breadcrumb if it can't
      establish a position?
    • pinkheadedbug
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2006
        Well, I'm replying to myself here but maybe this is the problem: the unit was set to 'lock on
        road'. I will try it with this disabled and report back.

        It's annoying that this setting is in the map options page when it also affects the way that
        tracklogs are recorded.
      • johnatyson
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2006
          --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "pinkheadedbug"
          <john.brownlow@...> wrote:

          > Well, I'm replying to myself here but maybe this is the problem: the
          unit was set to 'lock on
          > road'. I will try it with this disabled and report back.
          >
          > It's annoying that this setting is in the map options page when it
          also affects the way that
          > tracklogs are recorded.

          I've noticed that the 60CSx will sometimes "snap to the road" when it
          suddently loses track (as in driving into a tunnel). This is
          independent of the "lock on road" setting (which I find annoying and
          leave off), and seems to be one of the fallbacks the SiRF algorithms use
          when lacking other data.

          What maps were you using when this happened? I noticed you
          said "trails" which would imply topos; I would be suprised if the
          regular 100K topo would do this, but the 24K maps might.

          John
        • pinkheadedbug
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2006
            --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "johnatyson" <johnatyson@...> wrote:

            > I've noticed that the 60CSx will sometimes "snap to the road" when it
            > suddently loses track (as in driving into a tunnel). This is
            > independent of the "lock on road" setting (which I find annoying and
            > leave off), and seems to be one of the fallbacks the SiRF algorithms use
            > when lacking other data.
            >
            > What maps were you using when this happened? I noticed you
            > said "trails" which would imply topos; I would be suprised if the
            > regular 100K topo would do this, but the 24K maps might.

            Actually these are urban trails in the ravines of Toronto. It happened using the Canada Topo
            V2 maps which have quite a lot of street information.

            Turning 'snap to road' off solved the problem almost completely. I say almost because the
            waypoint tends to drift and wander when the unit is stationary. But it now works as I hoped it
            would.