Re: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] Re: City Navigator vs City Navigator NT

  • tvnav.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
      From: "divinl" <janaarts@...>
      To: <GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 2:40 AM
      Subject: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] Re: City Navigator vs City Navigator NT

      > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "annoyedone"
      > <annoyedone@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Norm in Alaska"
      >> <kl7rs@> wrote:
      >>
      >> > Is there a reason I'd want the NT version rather then the standard?
      >>
      >> The maps are identical. The only difference is the size of the data
      >> (and hence the microSD card required). NT is compressed more than the
      >> standard version. While the 60CSx supports NT products older units
      > may
      >> not. Therefore if you have more than one GPS you might check.
      >>

      > I vaguely remember the NT version can be installed on 1 GPS only,
      > while you are allowed to install the standard version on 2 GPS units.
      > But may be these were only rumors.

      That is not correct. You can use NT on 2 units as well.

      Darrel Goheen
      GPS@...
      http://www.tvnav.com
      Voice 785-625-3546/FAX 413-383-8800
    • mike_d_lawson
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 12, 2006
        The NT version from my understanding from support does not support
        autorouting. So if you have a unit that does autorouting then you
        would want the non-NT version of City Navigator

        -Mike
        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "tvnav.com" <GPS@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        Navigator NT

        > > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "annoyedone"
        > > <annoyedone@> wrote:
        > >>
        > >> --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Norm in Alaska"

        > >> The maps are identical. The only difference is the size of the
        data
        > >> (and hence the microSD card required). NT is compressed more
        than the
        > >> standard version. While the 60CSx supports NT products older
        units
        > > may
        > >> not. Therefore if you have more than one GPS you might check.
        > >>

        > > I vaguely remember the NT version can be installed on 1 GPS only,
        > > while you are allowed to install the standard version on 2 GPS
        units.
        > > But may be these were only rumors.
        >
        > That is not correct. You can use NT on 2 units as well.
        >

        > Darrel Goheen
        > GPS@...
        > http://www.tvnav.com
        > Voice 785-625-3546/FAX 413-383-8800

      • Roy
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 12, 2006
          --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "mike_d_lawson"
          <mike_d_lawson@...> wrote:

          > The NT version from my understanding from support does not support
          > autorouting.

          Your understanding is incorrect. The NT version does support
          autorouting.
        • tvnav.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 12, 2006
            > The NT version from my understanding from support does not support
            > autorouting. So if you have a unit that does autorouting then you
            > would want the non-NT version of City Navigator

            That is in-correct. City Navigator and City Navigator NT are identical
            in functions as well as map and POI information.

            Darrel Goheen
            GPS@...
            http://www.tvnav.com
            Voice 785-625-3546/FAX 413-383-8800

            > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "tvnav.com" <GPS@...>

          • Robert Lipe
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 12, 2006
              it would be metroguide that doesn't autoroute.
              ___
              Sent with SnapperMail
              www.snappermail.com

              On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:57:46 -0000 "mike_d_lawson"
              <mike_d_lawson@...> wrote:
              >The NT version from my understanding from support does not support
              >autorouting. So if you have a unit that does autorouting then you
              >would want the non-NT version of City Navigator
              >
              >-Mike
              >--- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "tvnav.com" <GPS@...>

            • annoyedone
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 13, 2006
                --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lipe
                <robertlipe@...> wrote:

                > it would be metroguide that doesn't autoroute.

                Maybe ;-) Some Metroguide products auto-route in the GPS (e.g.
                Metroguide Canada v4) but most don't. In addition most current
                products auto-route on the PC but there are exceptions (e.g. Topo US,
                Worldmap).

                There's a nice table in the 76C(Sx) group that tells you.
              • mike_d_lawson
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 14, 2006
                  --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Roy" <roybassist@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "mike_d_lawson"
                  > <mike_d_lawson@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The NT version from my understanding from support does not support
                  > > autorouting.
                  >
                  > Your understanding is incorrect. The NT version does support
                  > autorouting.

                  Well, thats what you get for calling support and asking them to define
                  the difference between the products. I just called this week and asked
                  them and that was the information they gave me. Thanks for clearing
                  that up. I guess for future reference I should ask here first before
                  calling support.

                  -Mike
                • Roy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 14, 2006
                    <mike_d_lawson@...> wrote:
                    > Well, thats what you get for calling support and asking them to
                    define
                    > the difference between the products. I just called this week and
                    asked
                    > them and that was the information they gave me.

                    Unfortunately, the quality of Garmin's tech support personnel is
                    somewhat hit and miss. I think most of them are pretty good. I can
                    think of only one other case that I personally know of where they
                    gave an answer that was completely incorrect. Undoubtedly, like any
                    organization, a few people get hired who are either not competent
                    for the job or don't really care. I don't think that is the norm
                    for Garmin, and I wouldn't give up on their support personnel. That
                    said, it's obviously a good idea to corroborate what they tell you,
                    when possible.

                    >Thanks for clearing
                    > that up. I guess for future reference I should ask here first
                    before
                    > calling support.

                    Often a search of the group archives will get you the quickest
                    answer.
                  • Ricardo Silva
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 14, 2006
                      And even Metroguide can route if uploaded with a third party tool AFAIK.
                      Sendmap.

                      age, and price. Try it!