Re: 60CS Crash

  • alpamayo57
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 10, 2006
      --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "ian773039"
      <i_broadhead@...> wrote:

      > Had my 60CS replaced by Garmin a couple of weeks ago for a hardware
      > problem.
      > Tried to upload some GB Topo to it last night and it crashed.When I
      > switch on all I get is the welcome screen,a bar graph goes along the
      > bottom,gets to 27% , the screen fades and it switches itself off.
      >
      > I have tried removing the batteries and reinserting them,tried a hard
      > reset in the seconds before it dies but nothing works.
      >
      > Anyone any ideas before I ring Garmin tomorrow.Don't really want to
      > return it if I don't have to.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Ian

      Ian,
      I would double check the batteries' contacts (assuming the batteries
      are fully charged). Then, before returning the unit for repair, I
      would try an external power source.
      Mike
    • ian773039
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 10, 2006
        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, GSV Three Minds in a Can
        <GSV@...> wrote:

        > Not sure what you mean by 'tried a hard reset in the second before it
        > dies' .. a hard reset is powering it on with page+enter held down. If
        > that doesn't bring up a menu asking if you really want to delete all
        > user data (yes/no .. pick yes!) then it is really seriously sick.
        >

        > Bitstring <ee0rua+ae93@...>, from the wonderful person ian773039
        > <i_broadhead@...> said
        > >Had my 60CS replaced by Garmin a couple of weeks ago for a hardware
        > >problem.
        > >Tried to upload some GB Topo to it last night and it crashed.When I
        > >switch on all I get is the welcome screen,a bar graph goes along the
        > >bottom,gets to 27% , the screen fades and it switches itself off.
        > >
        > >I have tried removing the batteries and reinserting them,tried a hard
        > >reset in the seconds before it dies but nothing works.
        > >
        > >Anyone any ideas before I ring Garmin tomorrow.Don't really want to
        > >return it if I don't have to.
        > >
        > >Thanks,
        > >
        > >Ian

        > --
        > GSV Three Minds in a Can
        > 6,632 Km walked. 1,126Km PROWs surveyed. 20.4% complete.

        What I meant was starting it up as you suggest to see if the menu
        would come up,but no it doesn't.

        I think it is really really sick.

        I will see what Garmin says.

        Ian
      • annoyedone
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 10, 2006
          <i_broadhead@...> wrote:

          > Tried to upload some GB Topo to it last night and it crashed.When I
          > switch on all I get is the welcome screen,a bar graph goes along the
          > bottom,gets to 27% , the screen fades and it switches itself off.

          Sounds like it has an issue with either the map memory (hardware) or
          the loaded mapset.

          How many map segments did you load? The 60C/60CS have a 900 segment
          limit as well as a 56MB one.

          Did you try powering up in diagnostic mode (hold the ENTER button
          *until* the unit comes up)? If that works you might be able to use
          sendmap20, with the -e switch, to erase all maps in the unit.

          http://cgpsmapper.com/en/buy.htm
        • ian773039
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 10, 2006
            --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "annoyedone"
            <annoyedone@...> wrote:

            > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "ian773039"
            > <i_broadhead@> wrote:
            >
            > > Tried to upload some GB Topo to it last night and it crashed.When I
            > > switch on all I get is the welcome screen,a bar graph goes along the
            > > bottom,gets to 27% , the screen fades and it switches itself off.
            >
            > Sounds like it has an issue with either the map memory (hardware) or
            > the loaded mapset.
            >
            > How many map segments did you load? The 60C/60CS have a 900 segment
            > limit as well as a 56MB one.
            >
            > Did you try powering up in diagnostic mode (hold the ENTER button
            > *until* the unit comes up)? If that works you might be able to use
            > sendmap20, with the -e switch, to erase all maps in the unit.
            >
            > http://cgpsmapper.com/en/buy.htm

            Yes I can get into diagnostic mode.

            How exactly do I use sendmap20 to erase the maps,which is what I think
            needs doing ?

            Ian
          • ian773039
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 10, 2006
              --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "alpamayo57"
              <alpamayo1@...> wrote:

              > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "ian773039"
              > <i_broadhead@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Had my 60CS replaced by Garmin a couple of weeks ago for a hardware
              > > problem.
              > > Tried to upload some GB Topo to it last night and it crashed.When I
              > > switch on all I get is the welcome screen,a bar graph goes along the
              > > bottom,gets to 27% , the screen fades and it switches itself off.
              > >
              > > I have tried removing the batteries and reinserting them,tried a hard
              > > reset in the seconds before it dies but nothing works.
              > >
              > > Anyone any ideas before I ring Garmin tomorrow.Don't really want to
              > > return it if I don't have to.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Ian
              > >
              > Ian,
              > I would double check the batteries' contacts (assuming the batteries
              > are fully charged). Then, before returning the unit for repair, I
              > would try an external power source.
              > Mike

              Mike,

              I don't think it is a battery problem as I can get the welcome screen
              and get into diagnostic mode.

              Thanks for your suggestion.

              Ian
            • annoyedone
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 10, 2006
                <i_broadhead@...> wrote:

                > Yes I can get into diagnostic mode.
                >
                > How exactly do I use sendmap20 to erase the maps,which is what
                > I think needs doing ?

                Run sendmap20 (with the GPS connected) and push the "Erase maps in GPS"
                button in the lower left of the dialog.

                I'm not sure if USB communications work in diagnostic mode. If not you
                could try serial if you have a cable.
              • ian773039
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 10, 2006
                  <annoyedone@...> wrote:

                  > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "ian773039"
                  > <i_broadhead@> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Yes I can get into diagnostic mode.
                  > >
                  > > How exactly do I use sendmap20 to erase the maps,which is what
                  > > I think needs doing ?
                  >
                  > Run sendmap20 (with the GPS connected) and push the "Erase maps in GPS"
                  > button in the lower left of the dialog.
                  >
                  > I'm not sure if USB communications work in diagnostic mode. If not you
                  > could try serial if you have a cable.

                  Many thanks,it worked a treat!!

                  Ian
                • annoyedone