Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] Purchasing my first 60CSX

Expand Messages
  • Amir Findling
    I have not found any problem with the barometer. Some had problems but since I use it only occasionally to read altitude and practically never look at the
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      I have not found any problem with the barometer. Some had problems but since I use it only occasionally to read altitude and practically never look at the graph, I really can't tell much. The only thing is that shifting barometric pressure will make the altitude reading less accurate, but then you can always read the GPS altitude, which is not that accurate sometimes either. But no other barometric altimeter would work better in my experience.

      Compass: when I need to navigate with a compass, I use a compass, but when I need just to re-orient myself or have a glance at a direction of travel, I'd rather use the GPS. Having the compass means I also can use it when stationary and that is when I do most of my navigation planning.


      Huggy J wrote:
      I got a reply suggesting the 60Cx instead of the csx due to baramoter issues and the compass issues.
       
      have you found either of these issues?

      Amir Findling <sarlabs@twcny. rr.com> wrote:
      I've upgraded from a 60CS to a 60CSx. I needed the memory on a card for my trip to Italy as I did not want to schlep a laptop and have to download maps etc.  Well in addition to the expandable memory I got a unit that acquires faster, holds acquisition with the tenacity of a bulldog and  really doesn't need an external antenna. I'm very pleased with the 60CSx. I've said good things about the 60CS in the past, the 60CSx is much better.

      As for upgrading from a 12X, it will be like night and day. You'll be able to see the display in the sun, constant acquisition, good location etc. In addition, get CN for road navigation as it is neat to see how this little unit can guide you while driving and the topo maps are adequate if you don't expect USGS quality. Coming from no-map land, you can't be terribly disappointed by them. Frankly, I use them in SAR and have done so for several years now and rarely do I use paper maps (which I do carry as well as my compass, but my first move is to the GPS nowadays).

      I don't think it will cause you any problems. Sure you need to learn to use the unit, find  out how to get to the functions you need through the menus. BUt it is not very hard and most of the time you'll get by without the manual.

      I can definitely recommend the 60CSx as a very good GPS unit, so far, the best I've worked since 1994 I believe. (Magellan Trailblazer, Garmin II, Garmin III+, eTrex Vista, Rino 120, 60CS, Foretrex 201, 60CSx).

      bjhunt80537 wrote:
      I own an old 12X and am trying to make the decision on upgrading to a
      newer, fully map capable, GPS. Looking at web sites and reading this
      one, it appears that you folks are not happy with the functionality of
      the 60CSX.

      Is that true, or am i misreading the info and messages?

      I am a guide and staff memeber on private ranches in Colorado, and
      Wyoming for fishing and hunting, and use my old Garmin all the time. I
      like the Garmin and the quality and how rugged it is, but if the new
      one is going to cause me problems, i need a suggestion on what unit
      would be better to purchase.

      Suggestions and input is very welcome before i spend my $.


      --
      Amir Findling, 73 de K9CHP, member ARRL, AMSAT #36083
      Coordinator, Senior K9 Handler Western NY SearchDogs, Inc. www.wnysearchdogs. org
      K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of SAR Teams www.nysfedsar. org
      1st Special Response Group (1SRG) www.1srg.org


      Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

      --
      Amir Findling, 73 de K9CHP, member ARRL, AMSAT #36083

      Amir Findling, 73 de K9CHP, member ARRL, AMSAT #36083

      Coordinator, Senior K9 Handler Western NY SearchDogs, Inc. www.wnysearchdogs.org

      K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of SAR Teams www.nysfedsar.org

      1st Special Response Group (1SRG) www.1srg.org

    • johnatyson
      ... itup through the PC and download it? ... The altimeter fix has been in for quite a while, so you should have that. But sometime in the near future you
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, Huggy J <bjhunt80537@...>
        wrote:
        >
        > They just called and said my new CSX is here, will i need to hook
        itup through the PC and download it?
        >
        > Chuck Bernard <chuck@...> wrote:
        >
        >
        The altimeter fix has been in for quite a while, so you should have
        that. But sometime in the near future you will want to download the
        latest updates if they didn't come with the unit. I'd fire it up right
        out of the box though, just to see how it is behaving before loading
        anything. If you've used GPSr's in the past you will be impressed with
        how well this one works. My only remaining dissapointment is that they
        (some at least) don't work with Lithium batteries; but yours might, and
        they may have even put in a hardware fix on the more recent models. If
        you happen to have some Lithiums (I'm talking here specifically about
        the Energizer AA Lithium batteries; I wouldn't try it with anything
        else that said "lithium") then it would be a good data point to see
        whether your unit works with them (If it doesn't, then it will come on
        for about a second and then fade out).

        John

        John
      • Chuck Bernard
        Install all of the software (Mapsource and drivers) that come with the unit first. Get it to talk to your PC and understand how all of that works. Later run
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
        • 0 Attachment

          Install all of the software (Mapsource and drivers) that come with the unit first. Get it to talk to your PC and understand how all of that works. 

          Later run the WebUpdater, which you can download for free at the garmin.com website. Run that TWICE. The first time you run it will update the unit's software, the next time it will update the firmware.  Or was that the opposite...  It is real easy.

          //Chuck


          On Aug 3, 2006, at 10:29 AM, Huggy J wrote:

          They just called and said my new CSX is here, will i need to hook itup through the PC and download it?

          Chuck Bernard <chuck@villabernard.com> wrote:



          There were never any compass issues. In fact the built in compass is one of the best features added to any GPS.
          The problems with the altimeter has been fixed in the latest software versions and now works fine.

          So, I would recommend the 60csx.  Just make sure you install the latest software when you receive it since it would have been likely shipped with older versions.

          //Chuck


          On Aug 3, 2006, at 6:57 AM, Huggy J wrote:


          I got a reply suggesting the 60Cx instead of the csx due to baramoter issues and the compass issues.
           
          have you found either of these issues?

          Amir Findling <sarlabs@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
          I've upgraded from a 60CS to a 60CSx. I needed the memory on a card for my trip to Italy as I did not want to schlep a laptop and have to download maps etc.  Well in addition to the expandable memory I got a unit that acquires faster, holds acquisition with the tenacity of a bulldog and  really doesn't need an external antenna. I'm very pleased with the 60CSx. I've said good things about the 60CS in the past, the 60CSx is much better.

          As for upgrading from a 12X, it will be like night and day. You'll be able to see the display in the sun, constant acquisition, good location etc. In addition, get CN for road navigation as it is neat to see how this little unit can guide you while driving and the topo maps are adequate if you don't expect USGS quality. Coming from no-map land, you can't be terribly disappointed by them. Frankly, I use them in SAR and have done so for several years now and rarely do I use paper maps (which I do carry as well as my compass, but my first move is to the GPS nowadays).

          I don't think it will cause you any problems. Sure you need to learn to use the unit, find  out how to get to the functions you need through the menus. BUt it is not very hard and most of the time you'll get by without the manual.

          I can definitely recommend the 60CSx as a very good GPS unit, so far, the best I've worked since 1994 I believe. (Magellan Trailblazer, Garmin II, Garmin III+, eTrex Vista, Rino 120, 60CS, Foretrex 201, 60CSx).

          bjhunt80537 wrote:
          I own an old 12X and am trying to make the decision on upgrading to a
          newer, fully map capable, GPS. Looking at web sites and reading this
          one, it appears that you folks are not happy with the functionality of
          the 60CSX.

          Is that true, or am i misreading the info and messages?

          I am a guide and staff memeber on private ranches in Colorado, and
          Wyoming for fishing and hunting, and use my old Garmin all the time. I
          like the Garmin and the quality and how rugged it is, but if the new
          one is going to cause me problems, i need a suggestion on what unit
          would be better to purchase.

          Suggestions and input is very welcome before i spend my $.


          --
          Amir Findling, 73 de K9CHP, member ARRL, AMSAT #36083
          Coordinator, Senior K9 Handler Western NY SearchDogs, Inc.www.wnysearchdogs.org
          K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of SAR Teams www.nysfedsar.org
          1st Special Response Group (1SRG) www.1srg.org



          Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.





          Do you Yahoo!?
          Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.


        • Martin Basiszta
          The Garmin 60CSx is a great unit. I agree with all the posters who have recommended it. Have fun. Martín. ... to a ... this ... functionality of ... and ...
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 11, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            The Garmin 60CSx is a great unit. I agree with all the posters who
            have recommended it.
            Have fun. Martín.


            > bjhunt80537 wrote:
            > >
            > > I own an old 12X and am trying to make the decision on upgrading
            to a
            > > newer, fully map capable, GPS. Looking at web sites and reading
            this
            > > one, it appears that you folks are not happy with the
            functionality of
            > > the 60CSX.
            > >
            > > Is that true, or am i misreading the info and messages?
            > >
            > > I am a guide and staff memeber on private ranches in Colorado,
            and
            > > Wyoming for fishing and hunting, and use my old Garmin all the
            time. I
            > > like the Garmin and the quality and how rugged it is, but if the
            new
            > > one is going to cause me problems, i need a suggestion on what
            unit
            > > would be better to purchase.
            > >
            > > Suggestions and input is very welcome before i spend my $.
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.