Re: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] GB Topo 60cscx and 1GB cards - don't work

  • Gary Turner
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4 4:57 PM
      I guess you're meaning to select the card reader instead of the GPS in Mapsource?

      How does the transfer speed compare? Is it significantly faster to upload to the card directly?
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4 8:14 PM

        Well, I never have both the card reader and the GPS connected at the same time.  When I select the "copy to GPS" button in MapSource it just finds the card (through the card reader/writer) and I copy the maps to it directly.

        From experience, and it has been some time, I think that the transfer rate is about the same whether transferring it through the GPS to the memory card OR directly to the card through a card reader/writer.

        I now only transfer it directly to the card through the card reader/writer. It may be that I realized that transferring it through the GPS is what limited it to much less than 512MB in the first place.

        Now, I'm just waiting for the 2GB cards to come out.  I thought that my space problems would be solved with a 1GB card but I still can't fit all of the U.S. in the card :-(

        //Chuck

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4 8:27 PM
          By magntiudes - building the map can take time, but the upload to
          the card flies - took under a minute for about 100Mb of maps on my
          512Mb card...

          -Craig

          --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, Gary Turner
          <g.turner@...> wrote:

          > I guess you're meaning to select the card reader instead of the
          GPS in Mapsource?

          > How does the transfer speed compare? Is it significantly faster to
          upload to the card directly?

          Terms of Service.

          ---------

        • Bo Kullmar
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4 8:47 PM
            Chuck Bernard wrote:

            > Well, I never have both the card reader and the GPS connected at the
            > same time. When I select the "copy to GPS" button in MapSource it
            > just finds the card (through the card reader/writer) and I copy the
            > maps to it directly.
            I have always used a card reader. The maximum is around 970 MBytes for a
            1024 MByte card because it need space for the index as well. With 968
            MB I will get 11 MB free on the card. I have never tried to load big
            maps direct the GPS. I am running firmware 2.60 on 60CSX and Mapsource
            6.10.2.

            I have just upgraded from City Select Europe 7 to City Navigator Europe
            8. The map parts on the new map is much bigger than the old map. About 1
            /3 of the number of map parts. It takes more than one hour on my PC
            but it my be a bit faster with the new map. The total new Europe map is
            about 1800 MByte, but the difference in size compared to the old is not big.

            --- Bo Kullmar
          • Mark Dundon

[...]

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • Mark Dundon
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 5 1:33 PM
                On 05/04/06, Amir Findling <sarlabs@...> wrote:
                Hi Mark:

                Yes, it is a shame, but maybe there is a workaround. Go to:
                http://gps.chrisb.org/en/download.htm
                Scroll down to the bottom of the page and download SendMap. You may be
                able to bypass Mapsource's limitation. I don't know for sure as I have
                not tried it. Also I've read that SendMap allows you to send maps to the
                GPS without erasing what you had in it. Again, I have no experience with
                it, just what I read and maybe remember.

                Thanks Amir I'll check it out.

              • Kevin Cutts
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 5 1:36 PM
                  For large cards the time is signifcantly faster.

                  For smaller cards, the time to remove the card from the GPS, transfer the file and re-install the card becomes more of an issue. By the way you still get "bit" by MapSource. You gather up the maps you want to send to the GPS, connect the card through the reader, then MapSource 'chews' on it to create the final output to the card. MapSource can take some time!

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 5 3:43 PM

                    I find that it takes about 30 minutes to transfer data that will fill a 512MB card.  It took about double that to fill a 1GB card.

                    And to answer the other question (earlier)... Yes, if you plug in a card reader with the card installed instead of the GPS then MapSource will find the card as the device to send the maps to.