Problem with 60 CSx and tracks/elevation

  • David Ross
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006

      This is a copy of an email I sent to Garmin last night.  I have had this problem before, and have mentioned it in this forum, as have others.  So far, no resolution.

      Okay, today I went hiking. The track would not display on the unit, despite the fact that I have track log "on". I even toggled it off and on a couple of times, but still no display.

      When I got home, the track uploaded to the computer correctly. I then saved the track on the unit, and still no display.

      I am running software 2.60. I have Topo maps loaded on the unit, and also City Navigator maps. I have a 512 MB card in the unit. I have Variable Elevation selected. I used different Record Methods during the hike and none of them resulted in a display. AND BY THE WAY, I did NOT have "Transparent" selected for color. I tried Magenta, Blue and Red. None displayed.

      Another problem: the elevation would NOT display, until I calibrated the altimeter manually. The GPS knew the elevation, though, because I could obtain it from the Satellite page. What gives with that?

      At home, when I ran a profile for my track, the starting and ending elevations were MINUS 4921 feet, and the distance was 105 miles. The Trip Computer page recorded the odometer reading as 4 miles, which is closer to the truth. The max speed, moving avg and times were probably correct for the hike.

      I know this is not what the unit should be doing, since I have an old Vista, and have NEVER had a problem with that. It is perfectly predictable.

    • GSV Three Minds in a Can
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
        Bitstring <e0lva4+3as6@...>, from the wonderful person David
        Ross <davidross2243@...> said

        >This is a copy of an email I sent to Garmin last night. I have had this
        >problem before, and have mentioned it in this forum, as have others. So
        >far, no resolution.
        >
        >Okay, today I went hiking. The track would not display on the unit,
        >despite the fact that I have track log "on". I even toggled it off and
        >on a couple of times, but still no display.
        >
        >When I got home, the track uploaded to the computer correctly. I then
        >saved the track on the unit, and still no display.
        >
        >I am running software 2.60. I have Topo maps loaded on the unit, and
        >also City Navigator maps. I have a 512 MB card in the unit. I have
        >Variable Elevation selected. I used different Record Methods during the
        >hike and none of them resulted in a display. AND BY THE WAY, I did NOT
        >have "Transparent" selected for color. I tried Magenta, Blue and Red.
        >None displayed.
        >
        >Another problem: the elevation would NOT display, until I calibrated the
        >altimeter manually. The GPS knew the elevation, though, because I could
        >obtain it from the Satellite page. What gives with that?

        I wonder if this is related to the first problem too? Did you have
        automatic calibration set? Had you =ever= calibrated this unit to set
        the barometric altimeter to some known value (eg the GPS altitude)?

        >At home, when I ran a profile for my track, the starting and ending
        >elevations were MINUS 4921 feet, and the distance was 105 miles.

        Can you spot the bad point(s) which gave you 105 miles? I assume there
        was one or two dud points, probably at the beginning. The screwed up
        altitudes is obviously from not having a calibrated altimeter (and
        having automatic calibration turned off?)

        --
        GSV Three Minds in a Can
        Advert:
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
          Hi David:

          Not seeing the tracks:
          Easy to fix. In the map screen, hit MENU, scroll to SETUP MAP hit enter.
          Now move the cursor one spot to the right, to the lying S shaped form.
          Now go down to the saved track box and set it by hitting ENTER, scroll
          down to 2mi. and hit ENTER. Do the same with the next box down.

          Now I like my tracks to appear when the zoom is below 2 miles. I picked
          that number as I wanted to see my tracks when at all possible and I tend
          to be overcautious.

          Elevation:
          A Garmin problem that will hopefully be solved in the next software
          release. My 60CSx also did not show altitude today as I was driving. I
          re-set the barometer, using GPS elevation (I was driving so I was not
          about to check height or barometric pressure). It has been working fine
          since. I must say I never, ever, calibrated the barometer. My fault I
          guess. I don't show any points with abnormal altitude after I calibrated
          the barometer.

          *Amir Findling*, 73 de K9CHP, Syracuse NY, member ARRL, AMSAT #36083

          Coordinator, Senior K9 Handler Western New York SearchDogs, Inc
          www.wnysearchdogs.org <http://www.wnysearchdogs.org>

          NYS Federation of SAR Teams www.nysfedsar.org <http://www.nysfedsar.org/>
          1st Special Response Group www.1srg.org <http://www.1srg.org>

          David Ross wrote:

          > /This is a copy of an email I sent to Garmin last night. I have had
          > this problem before, and have mentioned it in this forum, as have
          > others. So far, no resolution./
          >
          > Okay, today I went hiking. The track would not display on the unit,
          > despite the fact that I have track log "on". I even toggled it off and
          > on a couple of times, but still no display.
          >
          > When I got home, the track uploaded to the computer correctly. I then
          > saved the track on the unit, and still no display.
          >
          > I am running software 2.60. I have Topo maps loaded on the unit, and
          > also City Navigator maps. I have a 512 MB card in the unit. I have
          > Variable Elevation selected. I used different Record Methods during
          > the hike and none of them resulted in a display. AND BY THE WAY, I did
          > NOT have "Transparent" selected for color. I tried Magenta, Blue and
          > Red. None displayed.
          >
          > Another problem: the elevation would NOT display, until I calibrated
          > the altimeter manually. The GPS knew the elevation, though, because I
          > could obtain it from the Satellite page. What gives with that?
          >
          > At home, when I ran a profile for my track, the starting and ending
          > elevations were MINUS 4921 feet, and the distance was 105 miles. The
          > Trip Computer page recorded the odometer reading as 4 miles, which is
          > closer to the truth. The max speed, moving avg and times were probably
          > correct for the hike.
          >
          > I know this is not what the unit should be doing, since I have an old
          > Vista, and have NEVER had a problem with that. It is perfectly
          > predictable.
          >

          > Garmin Downloads: http://www.garmin.com/support/download.jsp

          > Craft hobby
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Garmin+gpsmap+60c&c=3&s=68&.sig=fJMSHQeaxi_LqwNBnF9F6A>
          > Hobby and craft supply
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Garmin+gpsmap+60c&c=3&s=68&.sig=e7LLruQVJHFZEWSB348zDw>
          > Garmin gpsmap 60c
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Garmin+gpsmap+60c&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Garmin+gpsmap+60c&c=3&s=68&.sig=cdXfosgB1AsiewRuiCL86g>

        • Chuck Bernard
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006

            On Apr 1, 2006, at 5:30 AM, David Ross wrote:

            Another problem: the elevation would NOT display, until I calibrated the altimeter manually. The GPS knew the elevation, though, because I could obtain it from the Satellite page. What gives with that?

            This is the main problem which I have been seeing since I bought my 60CSx. The problem is because the elevation is so high or so low that it cannot be displayed in the 4 digits which are on the GPS' display.

            If I download the tracks to my PC then I see the elevation jumps to 94,000+ feet.   I do calibrate, it works for a while and jumps again. I calibrate again, again, and again.  Problem comes back constantly.

            I really hope that they fix this.

            //Chuck

          • David Ross
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
              Thanks, Amir. I fiddled with the Saved track log myself, and found
              that if set to Auto the track will display. I haven't tried setting
              it to 2 miles, but when set to 20 ft it didn't display.

              Re the altitude. When I did calibrate the altimeter, the elevation
              started to work, and has continued to work, fairly well, even after
              being turned off overnight.

              david

              --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, Amir Findling
              <sarlabs@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > I know this is not what the unit should be doing, since I have
              an old
              > > Vista, and have NEVER had a problem with that. It is perfectly
              > > predictable.
              > >

              > > Garmin Downloads: http://www.garmin.com/support/download.jsp

              > > Craft hobby
              > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Garmin
              +gpsmap+60c&c=3&s=68&.sig=fJMSHQeaxi_LqwNBnF9F6A>
              > > Hobby and craft supply
              > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+suppl
              y&w3=Garmin+gpsmap+60c&c=3&s=68&.sig=e7LLruQVJHFZEWSB348zDw>
              > > Garmin gpsmap 60c
              > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Garmin+gpsmap+60c&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=
              Garmin+gpsmap+60c&c=3&s=68&.sig=cdXfosgB1AsiewRuiCL86g>

              subject=Unsubscribe>

              of

              -------

            • David Ross
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
                Hi GSV, I did find a bogus track point. The day before I had been
                down in Massachusetts, and shut the unit off. When I powered it up
                before the hike, and cleared the track log and the trip computer, I
                thought I was erasing all prior track points.

                Guess not, huh? There was one point just about 100 miles south of
                where I started the hike.

                Is there any way to avoid this problem, or is it innate to GPS
                technology?

                Regarding the altimeter, I did calibrate it, and it did start
                working, and seems to be working still.

                Does the altimeter have to be recalibrated each time the unit is
                switched on? Or every battery change? Of course, like an airplane
                altimeter, I suppose it should be recalibrated whenever you really
                are sure of the elevation, right?

                David

                --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, GSV Three Minds in a
                Can <GSV@...> wrote:

                > Bitstring <e0lva4+3as6@...>, from the wonderful person David
                > Ross <davidross2243@...> said
                > >
                > >This is a copy of an email I sent to Garmin last night. I have
                had this
                > >problem before, and have mentioned it in this forum, as have
                others. So
                > >far, no resolution.
                > >
                > >Okay, today I went hiking. The track would not display on the
                unit,
                > >despite the fact that I have track log "on". I even toggled it
                off and
                > >on a couple of times, but still no display.
                > >
                > >When I got home, the track uploaded to the computer correctly. I
                then
                > >saved the track on the unit, and still no display.
                > >
                > >I am running software 2.60. I have Topo maps loaded on the unit,
                and
                > >also City Navigator maps. I have a 512 MB card in the unit. I have
                > >Variable Elevation selected. I used different Record Methods
                during the
                > >hike and none of them resulted in a display. AND BY THE WAY, I
                did NOT
                > >have "Transparent" selected for color. I tried Magenta, Blue and
                Red.
                > >None displayed.
                > >
                > >Another problem: the elevation would NOT display, until I
                calibrated the
                > >altimeter manually. The GPS knew the elevation, though, because I
                could
                > >obtain it from the Satellite page. What gives with that?
                >
                > I wonder if this is related to the first problem too? Did you
                have
                > automatic calibration set? Had you =ever= calibrated this unit to
                set
                > the barometric altimeter to some known value (eg the GPS altitude)?
                >
                > >At home, when I ran a profile for my track, the starting and
                ending
                > >elevations were MINUS 4921 feet, and the distance was 105 miles.
                >
                > Can you spot the bad point(s) which gave you 105 miles? I assume
                there
                > was one or two dud points, probably at the beginning. The screwed
                up
                > altitudes is obviously from not having a calibrated altimeter (and
                > having automatic calibration turned off?)
                >
                > --
                > GSV Three Minds in a Can
                > Advert:
                > My (European model) Garmin 60C GPS is currently available for
                purchase via
                > amazon.co.uk. £240 (and falling)..

              • Chuck Bernard
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
                  David,

                  Did you take a look at your "Max Elevation" value on the elevation
                  screen? You need to reset it after the elevation goes wacko.

                  //Chuck

                  On Apr 2, 2006, at 10:48 AM, David Ross wrote:

                  > Thanks, Amir. I fiddled with the Saved track log myself, and found
                  > that if set to Auto the track will display. I haven't tried setting
                  > it to 2 miles, but when set to 20 ft it didn't display.
                  >
                  > Re the altitude. When I did calibrate the altimeter, the elevation
                  > started to work, and has continued to work, fairly well, even after
                  > being turned off overnight.
                  >
                  > david
                • GSV Three Minds in a Can
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3, 2006
                    Bitstring <e0p362+73dd@...>, from the wonderful person David
                    Ross <davidross2243@...> said
                    >Hi GSV, I did find a bogus track point. The day before I had been
                    >down in Massachusetts, and shut the unit off. When I powered it up
                    >before the hike, and cleared the track log and the trip computer, I
                    >thought I was erasing all prior track points.
                    >
                    >Guess not, huh? There was one point just about 100 miles south of
                    >where I started the hike.
                    >
                    >Is there any way to avoid this problem, or is it innate to GPS
                    >technology?

                    You tend to get that when the unit powers up with just 3 satellites to
                    generate a fix .. best plan it to wait until it has a steady 3D fix on
                    as many satellites as it can see, and THEN clear the tracklog,
                    elevation, etc. You can also get whacky points if it loses and then
                    regains lock, but normally not as whacky as 100 miles!

                    >Regarding the altimeter, I did calibrate it, and it did start
                    >working, and seems to be working still.
                    >
                    >Does the altimeter have to be recalibrated each time the unit is
                    >switched on? Or every battery change? Of course, like an airplane
                    >altimeter, I suppose it should be recalibrated whenever you really
                    >are sure of the elevation, right?

                    It recalibrates itself against the GPS altitude on an ongoing basis, but
                    if you happen to know your height, the barometric pressure, or if you
                    have a real good GPS height fix (lots of satellites and an accuracy
                    reported of 2-3 m) then it's worth recalibrating.

                    Should not be a problem if you just turn it off, but if the location has
                    changed a lot, or the weather has changed (barometric pressure), then I
                    can see how it could get wells crewed up while it wasn't looking. I tend
                    to recalibrate mine to my back doorstep (321m +/- 1m) just after I
                    clear the tracklog.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 3, 2006

                      How do I get my 60CSx to automatically recalibrate to match what makes sense (i.e., what the GPS says that it is instead of 94200ft)?

                      Thanks,

                      //Chuck