Re: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] 60CSx 'Data Abort' shutdowns

  • Mark Dundon
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2006
      >I've noticed some discrepancy on batter life with my 60csx, so I need to
      >perform a similar test.  Did you have functionality active that would
      >simulate what you would have active during a typical walk - such as
      >recording a track - whilst sat on your windowsill?  Also what battery type
      >did you use 2300 nimh?

      2500mAHr NiMH (Vapextech) fresh from the charger. The unit was connected
      to a Gilsson antenna, on the windowsill, and collected a full 1.5km of
      tracklog. Obviously I didn't push buttons, use the backlight, etc.

      In the field I normally don't do much worse than 10-15% less than that,
      unless I use the backlight (or compass?).

      Did you take the 17 hrs or so battery life from the screen that has the total moving time + the total stopped time?  I ask because sometimes I've looked at that screen and neither are incrementing, which I can only assume is when I haven't got a lock.

    • GSV Three Minds in a Can
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
        Bitstring <cf1149980603310946v3aab5ec1qfdd549e190df384e@...>,
        from the wonderful person Mark Dundon <mark.dundon@...> said

        >> >I've noticed some discrepancy on batter life with my 60csx, so I need to
        >> >perform a similar test. Did you have functionality active that would
        >> >simulate what you would have active during a typical walk - such as
        >> >recording a track - whilst sat on your windowsill? Also what battery
        >> type
        >> >did you use 2300 nimh?
        >>
        >> 2500mAHr NiMH (Vapextech) fresh from the charger. The unit was connected
        >> to a Gilsson antenna, on the windowsill, and collected a full 1.5km of
        >> tracklog. Obviously I didn't push buttons, use the backlight, etc.
        >>
        >> In the field I normally don't do much worse than 10-15% less than that,
        >> unless I use the backlight (or compass?).

        >Did you take the 17 hrs or so battery life from the screen that has the
        >total moving time + the total stopped time? I ask because sometimes I've
        >looked at that screen and neither are incrementing, which I can only assume
        >is when I haven't got a lock.

        Yep, total time (and it couldn't have been much more because the
        wall-clock time was only about 20 hours for the whole test). With the
        Gilsson and a 60CSx you don't ever lose lock! (If you did, yes, the
        timers all stop).

        --
        GSV Three Minds in a Can
        Advert: