Re: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] Re: Problems with 60CSx

  • Robert Lipe
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 8, 2006
      On 3/8/06, Chuck Bernard <chuck@...> wrote:
      Software Version 2.60
      GPS SW Version 2.40

      Why are there two versions displayed?  I'm sure that when the unit arrived it only showed one and it was

      The first is the version of the software running on the main processor.
      The second is the version of hte software running on the processor controlling/in the Sirf receiver.
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 10, 2006

        > Maybe someone here could tell me what is special about 98422ft?

        98421.92 feet = 29999 meters which may be the max elevation the
        60CSx will read.

        On your second issue... Do you have your track log setup record
        method set to "time" and the interval set to "1 second"? If you do
        I believe the GPSr will continue to record track points even if
        you're standing (or sitting) still.

        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Bernard
        <chuck@...> wrote:

        > I am still seeing two (2) serious problems with my GPSMAP60CSx
        that I
        > have contacted Garmin technical support about.
        >
        > I was given a replacement unit but it behaves the same as the
        > original and I believe that these problems are with the software
        in
        > the 60CSx and that everybody that owns one will or has been
        affected.
        > You just may not have noticed but if you are aware of the issues
        then
        > you would also become aware when it happens.
        >
        > The first problem is that the Elevation goes crazy and locks at
        > 98422ft.
        >
        > Maybe someone here could tell me what is special about 98422ft?
        >
        > The second problem is that sometimes the track log contains as
        many
        > as 1000 points where the leg distance is 0 ft. Each point shows a
        > speed of 0.1mph or 0.2mph but the distance is 0 ft. For example,
        > have a track log where points 1772 through 2712 are all located
        at
        > exactly the same point. There is one point per second from 3:07:34
        pm
        > to 3:24:43 pm. This is very likely during a time where I took a
        > break and the unit remained located on the dash of my snowmobile.
        >
        > This problem is serious in that often times my track log, of
        10,000
        > points, will be filled with 40% garbage empty points.
        >
        > Going back the the first problem with the Elevation. I previously
        > reported that the Max Elevation would sometimes go blank (i.e.,
        > ----). Sometimes the Elevation field will also go blank (i.e., ----
        ).

        > This happens several times during some days and other days it
        does
        > not happen.
        >
        > After reviewing the track log of a trip which I took over a 6-7
        hour
        > period I can see that at some random time the GPS elevation will
        > suddenly jump to 98422ft. (Keep in mind that I can only see this
        by
        > examining the track log because the GPS screen shows an empty
        > Elevation field.) It will stay at that level until I have noticed
        > this and after recalibrating the altimeter using the GPS value it
        > will begin working again. If I reset the "Max Elevation" after
        > recalibrating the altimeter then it will also show the current
        and
        > correct value.
        >
        > After a period of time during the same journey it will again fail.
        >
        > I can say that this always happens when I am in a very clear
        space
        > upon mountains where the reception is VERY clear and VERY strong.
        >
        > I would like to mention that I have also owned a 60CS for over a
        year
        > and have never seen any such symptoms with it.
        >
        > Thanks for letting me vent...
        >
        > //Chuck

      • Chuck Bernard
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 11, 2006
          Mike,

          Thanks for the comments. The 29999 meter limit sure explains the
          98421 foot elevation.

          As far as the track log, I have the

          "Record Method" set to "Auto"
          "Interval" set to "Normal"

          This is the default setup and the same setup that I have been using
          with my 60CS for over a year. I have never seen these wasted points
          with that model.

          I sent a detailed message to Garmin Tech Support email and after 5
          days they have not even responded that they have received it. Not
          sure if I should send it again...

          //Chuck

          On Mar 10, 2006, at 2:46 PM, Mike wrote:

          > > Maybe someone here could tell me what is special about 98422ft?
          > >

          > 98421.92 feet = 29999 meters which may be the max elevation the
          > 60CSx will read.
          >
          > On your second issue... Do you have your track log setup record
          > method set to "time" and the interval set to "1 second"? If you do
          > I believe the GPSr will continue to record track points even if
          > you're standing (or sitting) still.

        • Wes Mahoney
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 11, 2006
            You could send a message to the Dept of Defence or the Air Force. They might have something to do with it too.
            Thanks for the comments. The 29999 meter limit sure explains the
            98421 foot elevation.

            As far as the track log, I have the

            "Record Method" set to "Auto"
            "Interval" set to "Normal"

            This is the default setup and the same setup that I have been using
            with my 60CS for over a year. I have never seen these wasted points
            with that model.

            I sent a detailed message to Garmin Tech Support email and after 5
            days they have not even responded that they have received it. Not
            sure if I should send it again...

            //Chuck

            On Mar 10, 2006, at 2:46 PM, Mike wrote:

            > > Maybe someone here could tell me what is special about 98422ft?
            > >

            > 98421.92 feet = 29999 meters which may be the max elevation the
            > 60CSx will read.
            >
            > On your second issue...  Do you have your track log setup record
            > method set to "time" and the interval set to "1 second"?  If you do
            > I believe the GPSr will continue to record track points even if
            > you're standing (or sitting) still.

            Garmin Downloads: http://www.garmin.com/support/download.jsp

            Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Roy
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 11, 2006
              wrote:
              > This is the default setup and the same setup that I have been using
              > with my 60CS for over a year. I have never seen these wasted points
              > with that model.

              You should have seen it if you ever used Firmware version 3.90 with
              your 60CS. That version had a bug that recorded excessive track log
              points (though perhaps not as many as your 60CSx is currently doing).
              It was fixed in Firmware 4.00. I'm not sure how many models Garmin
              has had this bug in; but if I recall correctly, when it first showed
              up in the 60CS/76CS series, someone posted that it had once occurred
              in a version of the 76S series firmware. It sounds like they may have
              introduced it yet again in the firmware of a new unit. If so, then
              they don't seem to be doing a very good job of learning from past
              mistakes, or informing all of their software/firmware developers of
              past problems, their causes and prevention.
            • Chuck Bernard
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 11, 2006
                I never saw it on my 60CS because I never upgraded the firmware on
                that unit. Never needed it for what I was using it for.

                Thanks,

                //Chuck

                On Mar 11, 2006, at 10:53 AM, Roy wrote:

                > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Bernard <chuck@...>
                > wrote:
                > > This is the default setup and the same setup that I have been using
                > > with my 60CS for over a year. I have never seen these wasted points
                > > with that model.
                >
                > You should have seen it if you ever used Firmware version 3.90 with
                > your 60CS. That version had a bug that recorded excessive track log
                > points (though perhaps not as many as your 60CSx is currently doing).
                > It was fixed in Firmware 4.00. I'm not sure how many models Garmin
                > has had this bug in; but if I recall correctly, when it first showed
                > up in the 60CS/76CS series, someone posted that it had once occurred
                > in a version of the 76S series firmware. It sounds like they may have
                > introduced it yet again in the firmware of a new unit. If so, then
                > they don't seem to be doing a very good job of learning from past
                > mistakes, or informing all of their software/firmware developers of
                > past problems, their causes and prevention.

              • johnatyson
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 11, 2006
                  --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Roy" <roybassist@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Bernard <chuck@>
                  > wrote:
                  > > This is the default setup and the same setup that I have been
                  using
                  > > with my 60CS for over a year. I have never seen these wasted
                  points
                  > > with that model.
                  >
                  > You should have seen it if you ever used Firmware version 3.90 with
                  > your 60CS. That version had a bug that recorded excessive track
                  log
                  > points (though perhaps not as many as your 60CSx is currently
                  doing).
                  > It was fixed in Firmware 4.00.

                  I don't think this is the same problem that the 60CS had; the 60CS
                  recorded excessive points in the AUTO mode, but they were all valid
                  points -- just way too many for the operating mode.

                  John
                • Roy
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 11, 2006
                    --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "johnatyson"
                    <johnatyson@...> wrote:
                    > I don't think this is the same problem that the 60CS had; the 60CS
                    > recorded excessive points in the AUTO mode, but they were all
                    valid
                    > points -- just way too many for the operating mode.

                    That sounds to me exactly like what the OP reported with his 60CSx.
                    Your statement implies that you think his unit is recording
                    *invalid* points. I presume that you are referring to this:

                    <chuck@...> wrote:
                    > The second problem is that sometimes the track log contains as
                    many
                    > as 1000 points where the leg distance is 0 ft. Each point shows a
                    > speed of 0.1mph or 0.2mph but the distance is 0 ft. For example,
                    > have a track log where points 1772 through 2712 are all located
                    at
                    > exactly the same point. There is one point per second from 3:07:34
                    pm
                    > to 3:24:43 pm. This is very likely during a time where I took a
                    > break and the unit remained located on the dash of my snowmobile.

                    If that's what you consider invalid points, my 76CS would record
                    repeated track points exactly like that in while sitting still, with
                    Firmware 3.90. In fact, in a thread on the issue in the Usenet
                    group sci.geo.satellite-nav, Jack Yeazel reported on June 8,
                    2005: "In one case the receiver was standing still in the clear with
                    Auto, Least, and the tracklog was recording a trackpoint EVERY
                    SECOND!"
                  • David Ross
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 20, 2006
                      Has anyone heard of a fix for this problem, or are we just waiting
                      for firmware 2.7? I am running 2.60 and have the exact problem
                      described, and the worst part of it is the fact that the track log
                      fills up completely, thus each new point deletes the first points (I
                      know I can change this on the menu).

                      Do we just have to wait for new firmware? thanks David Ross

                      <chuck@...> wrote:

                      > I am still seeing two (2) serious problems with my GPSMAP60CSx
                      that I
                      > have contacted Garmin technical support about.
                      >
                      > I was given a replacement unit but it behaves the same as the
                      > original and I believe that these problems are with the software
                      in
                      > the 60CSx and that everybody that owns one will or has been
                      affected.
                      > You just may not have noticed but if you are aware of the issues
                      then
                      > you would also become aware when it happens.
                      >
                      > The first problem is that the Elevation goes crazy and locks at
                      > 98422ft.
                      >
                      > Maybe someone here could tell me what is special about 98422ft?
                      >
                      > The second problem is that sometimes the track log contains as
                      many
                      > as 1000 points where the leg distance is 0 ft. Each point shows a
                      > speed of 0.1mph or 0.2mph but the distance is 0 ft. For example,
                      > have a track log where points 1772 through 2712 are all located
                      at
                      > exactly the same point. There is one point per second from 3:07:34
                      pm
                      > to 3:24:43 pm. This is very likely during a time where I took a
                      > break and the unit remained located on the dash of my snowmobile.
                      >
                      > This problem is serious in that often times my track log, of
                      10,000
                      > points, will be filled with 40% garbage empty points.
                      >
                      > Going back the the first problem with the Elevation. I previously
                      > reported that the Max Elevation would sometimes go blank (i.e.,
                      > ----). Sometimes the Elevation field will also go blank (i.e., ----
                      ).

                      > This happens several times during some days and other days it
                      does
                      > not happen.
                      >
                      > After reviewing the track log of a trip which I took over a 6-7
                      hour
                      > period I can see that at some random time the GPS elevation will
                      > suddenly jump to 98422ft. (Keep in mind that I can only see this
                      by
                      > examining the track log because the GPS screen shows an empty
                      > Elevation field.) It will stay at that level until I have noticed
                      > this and after recalibrating the altimeter using the GPS value it
                      > will begin working again. If I reset the "Max Elevation" after
                      > recalibrating the altimeter then it will also show the current
                      and
                      > correct value.
                      >
                      > After a period of time during the same journey it will again fail.
                      >
                      > I can say that this always happens when I am in a very clear
                      space
                      > upon mountains where the reception is VERY clear and VERY strong.
                      >
                      > I would like to mention that I have also owned a 60CS for over a
                      year
                      > and have never seen any such symptoms with it.
                      >
                      > Thanks for letting me vent...
                      >
                      > //Chuck

                    • Jose
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 20, 2006
                        Regarding the recording of points while standing still....could it be due
                        to the accuracy of the Garmin to sense the rotation of the Earth with
                        respect to the satellites (even though they are a geosynchronous...there
                        has to be some discrepency!) ? This would in my assumption cause a drift in
                        the location of a unit that is in a static position with respect to the
                        ground.

                        Maybe 0.1 - 0.2 mph is the speed at which the earth rotates. As the unit
                        resynchs with the satellites it registers a new point (because of the
                        drift); however, since it has refer to it's own map from which depicts it
                        has not moved, it continously places the new points on top of each other.

                        It probably needs 1 or 2 conditional statement in the software logic to
                        prevent this.

                        Just a theory as to what's causing this.

                        The altitude thingy sounds like a bug.

                        Regards,

                        Jose
                        (Sent via Sprint Treo650)

                      • Chuck Bernard
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 20, 2006

                          Still not fixed...

                          More people need to email or phone Garmin and report the problem. If I'm the only one telling them about it then it will be low on their list of problems.

                          Thanks,

                          //Chuck

                          <chuck@...> wrote:

> [...]

                          > suddenly jump to 98422ft. (Keep in mind that I can only see this
                          by
                          > examining the track log because the GPS screen shows an empty
                          > Elevation field.) It will stay at that level until I have noticed
                          > this and after recalibrating the altimeter using the GPS value it
                          > will begin working again. If I reset the "Max Elevation" after
                          > recalibrating the altimeter then it will also show the current
                          and
                          > correct value.
                          >
                          > After a period of time during the same journey it will again fail.
                          >
                          > I can say that this always happens when I am in a very clear
                          space
                          > upon mountains where the reception is VERY clear and VERY strong.
                          >
                          > I would like to mention that I have also owned a 60CS for over a
                          year
                          > and have never seen any such symptoms with it.

                          Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Garmin gpsmap 60c

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        • GSV Three Minds in a Can
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 20, 2006
                            Bitstring <dvm77e+qtta@...>, from the wonderful person David
                            Ross <davidross2243@...> said
                            >Has anyone heard of a fix for this problem, or are we just waiting
                            >for firmware 2.7? I am running 2.60 and have the exact problem
                            >described, and the worst part of it is the fact that the track log
                            >fills up completely, thus each new point deletes the first points (I
                            >know I can change this on the menu).

                            It has not happened to me - I have set the tracklog menu to 'by
                            distance' and '0.01km' (10m), which seems to work fine, so maybe it is
                            only 'auto' or 'by time' which is screwed up?

                            --
                            GSV Three Minds in a Can
                          • tiki112002
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 20, 2006
                              wrote:

                              > I am still seeing two (2) serious problems with my GPSMAP60CSx that I
                              > have contacted Garmin technical support about.
                              >
                              > I was given a replacement unit but it behaves the same as the
                              > original and I believe that these problems are with the software in
                              > the 60CSx and that everybody that owns one will or has been affected.
                              > You just may not have noticed but if you are aware of the issues then
                              > you would also become aware when it happens.
                              >
                              > The first problem is that the Elevation goes crazy and locks at
                              > 98422ft.
                              >
                              > Maybe someone here could tell me what is special about 98422ft?
                              >
                              > The second problem is that sometimes the track log contains as many
                              > as 1000 points where the leg distance is 0 ft. Each point shows a
                              > speed of 0.1mph or 0.2mph but the distance is 0 ft. For example, I
                              > have a track log where points 1772 through 2712 are all located at
                              > exactly the same point. There is one point per second from 3:07:34 pm
                              > to 3:24:43 pm. This is very likely during a time where I took a
                              > break and the unit remained located on the dash of my snowmobile.
                              >
                              > This problem is serious in that often times my track log, of 10,000
                              > points, will be filled with 40% garbage empty points.
                              >
                              > Going back the the first problem with the Elevation. I previously
                              > reported that the Max Elevation would sometimes go blank (i.e.,
                              > ----). Sometimes the Elevation field will also go blank (i.e., ----).
                              >
                              > This happens several times during some days and other days it does
                              > not happen.
                              >
                              > After reviewing the track log of a trip which I took over a 6-7 hour
                              > period I can see that at some random time the GPS elevation will
                              > suddenly jump to 98422ft. (Keep in mind that I can only see this by
                              > examining the track log because the GPS screen shows an empty
                              > Elevation field.) It will stay at that level until I have noticed
                              > this and after recalibrating the altimeter using the GPS value it
                              > will begin working again. If I reset the "Max Elevation" after
                              > recalibrating the altimeter then it will also show the current and
                              > correct value.
                              >
                              > After a period of time during the same journey it will again fail.
                              >
                              > I can say that this always happens when I am in a very clear space
                              > upon mountains where the reception is VERY clear and VERY strong.
                              >
                              > I would like to mention that I have also owned a 60CS for over a year
                              > and have never seen any such symptoms with it.
                              >
                              > Thanks for letting me vent...
                              >
                              > //Chuck

                              I have the same problems. I try with ver 2.62 Beta and all problems
                              still exists.

                              GARMIN, I am afraid for Your reputation!!!!!!

                              Tiki
                            • Chuck Bernard
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 20, 2006

                                Tiki,

                                Please go to http://www.garmin.com/contactUs/techSupport.jsp and report the problems. If I'm the only one then they will never fix it.

                                Thanks :-)

                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 20, 2006
                                  Tomorrow, if the sun shines a little and the creek don't rise, I'll take
                                  the 60CSx and 60CS for a walk on the road near my house. I hope to do
                                  several things. One is checking for accuracy on the aerial which has
                                  this road (the topo map doesn't). I will also check altitude. I intend
                                  to have two tracks, one with sampling every 0.01 miles and one timed,
                                  maybe every ten seconds, as I don't see any use for a point every
                                  second. I'll do one track, download it to Mapsource, then do a second
                                  track and download it so no data will be lost. I will then save the
                                  second dataset to my card. I want to see whether this saved track to the
                                  card is "simplified" or if finally we can save a track and have it too.

                                  *Amir Findling*, 73 de K9CHP, Syracuse NY, member ARRL, AMSAT #36083

                                  Coordinator, Senior K9 Handler Western New York SearchDogs, Inc
                                  www.wnysearchdogs.org <http://www.wnysearchdogs.org>

                                  NYS Federation of SAR Teams www.nysfedsar.org <http://www.nysfedsar.org/>
                                  1st Special Response Group www.1srg.org <http://www.1srg.org>

                                  Chuck Bernard wrote:

                                  > Tiki,
                                  >
                                  > Please go to http://www.garmin.com/contactUs/techSupport.jsp and
                                  > report the problems. If I'm the only one then they will never fix it.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks :-)

                                • Amir Findling
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 21, 2006
                                    I had both 60CS and 60 CSx out today for about 24 minutes. They spent
                                    about 17 minutes stationary on my truck's windshield. Setting was for a
                                    point every 10 seconds. Both units did just that, recorded a point every
                                    10 seconds, no more, no less.

                                    Now I'll upload an aerial photo with the tracks and you can see that
                                    there was some scatter, on these points as the GPS units were totally
                                    immobile. The 60CS had one point way on my neighbor's property to the
                                    NNE and the 60CSx had a much smaller scatter but nevertheless it was
                                    there. And yes the GPS shoed some movement.

                                    Once I started moving, I had each unit in the breast pocket of my
                                    jacket, antenna covered by the flap.

                                    I made a right turn off my driveway and kept to the right. I could not
                                    follow the very edge of the road as there was snow, but I definitely was
                                    6 feet away from the middle of the road at all time.

                                    Evidently the 60CSx is more accurate (cyan). The 60CS (purple) is far
                                    from being horrible, but there definitely is a qualitative difference.

                                    Altitude: I did not calibrate either unit but the numbers given were
                                    consistent enough most of the time. While stationary, both units showed
                                    incorrect altitude. While the difference is only about 30 feet, it makes
                                    me think that perhaps there is a problem there. Once on the move, both
                                    units adjusted to the actual profile of the short route I made.

                                    So no abominable aberration here this time.

                                    This pm, I'll re-do the same experiment, this time with setting on
                                    distance interval, looking for scatter when not in motion and accuracy
                                    of track. I'll also walk on the inside of the loop so perhaps tracks
                                    will not overlap badly.

                                    Well I did the second test and this time it shows a lot of consistency
                                    between the two units, both showing me on or very very near to the road,
                                    teh 60CSx is in green and the 60CS is in pink.

                                    NO scatter of points when recording in distance mode, no recording of
                                    any point till there is movement. This is something to remember. If
                                    using timed mode, just need to remember to turn the unit off if
                                    stationary for a long time. Perhaps Garmin ought to come up with an
                                    option to record on a time base but only when there is motion, like the
                                    follow road option in navigation.

                                    Altitude:
                                    I saw nothing to report. All is well.
                                    Thought: Chuck noticed the problem after 4-5 hours the unit was working.
                                    Well maybe it is a memory management problem as at one point per second,
                                    you'd fill the 10000 memory points and then the 60CSx should act
                                    according to a user setting. But maybe that is where the problem is
                                    created.

                                    I just uploaded the screen dump to the list's photo section.

                                    *Amir Findling*, 73 de K9CHP, Syracuse NY, member ARRL, AMSAT #36083

                                    Coordinator, Senior K9 Handler Western New York SearchDogs, Inc
                                    www.wnysearchdogs.org <http://www.wnysearchdogs.org>

                                    NYS Federation of SAR Teams www.nysfedsar.org <http://www.nysfedsar.org/>
                                    1st Special Response Group www.1srg.org <http://www.1srg.org>
                                  • Teppo Rapo
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 22, 2006
                                      I have a small problem with my gadget as well. It shuts down by it self
                                      if I have more than few percent of active tracklog and when I open
                                      altimeter page. I mailed to Garmin about that.
                                      -teppo