RE: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] Re: Remove Batteries = Calibrate Compass?

  • AYALA Gustavo AUTO
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 5 10:25 AM
      if you remove the batteries for, say, 1 week the internal capacitor will
      be dried out, and you will start to "lose" time.

      afterwars you will have to do a Autolocate.
      because I didn't find a way to set the time manually and the GPSr was
      lost in time.
      Did anyone find a way to set the time (or an aproximation) manually ? so
      the satellites the GPSr thinks are up there are really up there ?

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 5 6:45 PM
        Hi,

        When I first got my 60C, the batteries were not
        installed, so the capacitor must be bone dry for
        months. Anyways it's not an issue. After in stallation
        of batteries, one must stand out in the open field
        with clear skies above to collect data for the
        Almanac. Having done that, one may find that the time
        is not correct for the region. So goto menu, select
        setup, and there will be a time button on the menu.
        Select time button, set time format, set time zone,
        nearest to your country, set UTC Offset, and any
        Daylight Saving time in your country. Press Quit
        button, and you are done.

        Please do all this while in the open field, or unless
        you have an external patch antenna sticking out of
        your bedroom window, by at least four feet, and with
        clear skies.

        I hope this helps ...

        K C Tsang

        --- AYALA Gustavo AUTO
        <YAPAYG@...> wrote:

        > if you remove the batteries for, say, 1 week the
        > internal capacitor will
        > be dried out, and you will start to "lose" time.
        >
        > afterwars you will have to do a Autolocate.
        > because I didn't find a way to set the time manually
        > and the GPSr was
        > lost in time.
        > Did anyone find a way to set the time (or an
        > aproximation) manually ? so
        > the satellites the GPSr thinks are up there are
        > really up there ?

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • AYALA Gustavo AUTO
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 6 3:11 AM
          Thanks, but i know all that.

          What I whished to know was if there's a way to AVOID to do that once you
          got you unit without batteries for more than one week and the capacitor
          is dry and the unit is behind in time.

          Aparently not.

          Just curious.