Re: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] Topo Great Britain for Garmin

  • GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
      Bitstring <dmle00+4613@...>, from the wonderful person whaynes39
      <whaynes39@...> said
      >Does anyone know how to get topo maps for Great Britain (for example
      >for walking in the Lake District) that can be downloaded onto the
      >Garmin 60C or 60CS?

      Garmin have been negotiating with the OS over getting rights to the data
      for well over a year now, and as far as I know without resolution. If
      you just want contours, I've got the free ones (from NASA DEM data) up
      at the SMC website (Scottish Mountaineering Club) .. if you want rivers
      and tracks, it is a 'roll your own' job.

      I'm slowly working through South Shropshire .. someone else can do the
      rest of the UK!!

      (see www.quik.clara.co.uk/maps for example and links to the SMC and
      mirror sites).

      --
      GSV Three Minds in a Can
    • Walter Haynes
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2005

        Thanks.  I have followed the suggestions here from this group and your suggestions and looked at the Scottish Mountaineering Club site and related links.  All appear to be helpful. But based on your comments about rivers and work on Shropshire , I am wondering just what gets displayed if one uses the SMC data.  Apparently there are contour lines and place names, but apparently not streams, other bodies of water, paths or roads.  Right?  You suggest rolling your own on these.  What does that mean?  How would one add rivers and paths?

        Again thanks for your advice.  It would be a nice Christmas present if Garmin and the OS folks would solve this problem for us.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2005
          Bitstring , from the wonderful person Walter Haynes
          <whaynes39@...> said

          >Thanks.  I have followed the suggestions here from this group and your
          >suggestions and looked at the Scottish Mountaineering Club site and
          >related links.  All appear to be helpful. But based on your comments
          >about rivers and work on Shropshire, I am wondering just what gets
          >displayed if one uses the SMC data.  Apparently there are contour lines
          >and place names, but apparently not streams, other bodies of water,
          >paths or roads.  Right?

          Right - there is a coastline and some place names, mostly so you can see
          where you are. There are summits, trig points, and contours. The rest
          you imagine, or do yourself (actually the contours will tell you where
          the streams are likely to be).

          > You suggest rolling your own on these.  What
          >does that mean?  How would one add rivers and paths?

          You either need to actually walk/drive them, and then use the tracklog
          from t he GPS, or else you trace over a calibrated .jpg of the area in
          question. You compile what you've collected/drawn using cgpsmapper or
          gpsmapedit.

          head on over to:

          and read the archives. It is a LOT of work.

          --
          GSV Three Minds in a Can
        • Walter Haynes
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2005

            Thanks.  I suspected the “lot of work” part which is why I want a Christmas present from Garmin and the OS.

            W.