RE: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] Topo Great Britain for Garmin

  • Kwok Choong Tsang
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2005
      Phew !!!! Many many thanks, I was looking for this too

      K C Tsang

      __________________________________
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • GSV Three Minds in a Can
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
        Bitstring <dmle00+4613@...>, from the wonderful person whaynes39
        <whaynes39@...> said
        >Does anyone know how to get topo maps for Great Britain (for example
        >for walking in the Lake District) that can be downloaded onto the
        >Garmin 60C or 60CS?

        Garmin have been negotiating with the OS over getting rights to the data
        for well over a year now, and as far as I know without resolution. If
        you just want contours, I've got the free ones (from NASA DEM data) up
        at the SMC website (Scottish Mountaineering Club) .. if you want rivers
        and tracks, it is a 'roll your own' job.

        I'm slowly working through South Shropshire .. someone else can do the
        rest of the UK!!

        (see www.quik.clara.co.uk/maps for example and links to the SMC and
        mirror sites).

        --
        GSV Three Minds in a Can
      • Walter Haynes
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2005

          Thanks.  I have followed the suggestions here from this group and your suggestions and looked at the Scottish Mountaineering Club site and related links.  All appear to be helpful. But based on your comments about rivers and work on Shropshire , I am wondering just what gets displayed if one uses the SMC data.  Apparently there are contour lines and place names, but apparently not streams, other bodies of water, paths or roads.  Right?  You suggest rolling your own on these.  What does that mean?  How would one add rivers and paths?

          Again thanks for your advice.  It would be a nice Christmas present if Garmin and the OS folks would solve this problem for us.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2005
            Bitstring , from the wonderful person Walter Haynes
            <whaynes39@...> said

            >Thanks.  I have followed the suggestions here from this group and your
            >suggestions and looked at the Scottish Mountaineering Club site and
            >related links.  All appear to be helpful. But based on your comments
            >about rivers and work on Shropshire, I am wondering just what gets
            >displayed if one uses the SMC data.  Apparently there are contour lines
            >and place names, but apparently not streams, other bodies of water,
            >paths or roads.  Right?

            Right - there is a coastline and some place names, mostly so you can see
            where you are. There are summits, trig points, and contours. The rest
            you imagine, or do yourself (actually the contours will tell you where
            the streams are likely to be).

            > You suggest rolling your own on these.  What
            >does that mean?  How would one add rivers and paths?

            You either need to actually walk/drive them, and then use the tracklog
            from t he GPS, or else you trace over a calibrated .jpg of the area in
            question. You compile what you've collected/drawn using cgpsmapper or
            gpsmapedit.

            head on over to:

            and read the archives. It is a LOT of work.

            --
            GSV Three Minds in a Can
          • Walter Haynes
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2005

              Thanks.  I suspected the “lot of work” part which is why I want a Christmas present from Garmin and the OS.

              W.