Re: 60CS usage on commercial aircraft

  • mike@paxsen.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
      I find that the Garmin 60CS does interfere with my radio. If I have
      my portable AM radio on and place the GPS unit close to it, it indeed
      interferes. Radio receivers have internal oscillators. Energy from
      those oscillators do radiate RF energy.
      It is hard to believe though that it would interfere with the cockpit
      instruments at the distance you would be from them. The regulations
      are broad and conservative. No radios on board what so ever.

      --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "TomDiederich"
      <tomdiederich@y...> wrote:
      > Anything that receives RF also generates RF. Normally it would be
      > shielded and have only an extremely small amout of RF discharge.
      > They probably are concerned that a shoddily built unit, or one that
      > junior had taken apart to see how it works, could realistically
      > interfere with the navigation systems. I used to work in
      > communication and navigation in the Air Force.
      >
      > Its ultimately up to the pilot. 9-11 has probably had some impact
      > on increasing restrictions of all types. My son recently flew home
      > commercially with his eTrex and was instructed to shut it off and
      > put it away.
      >
      > Tom.
      >

      > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "davstern2001"
      > <davstern@i...> wrote:
      > > For years I have used my Vista on aircraft to pass the time
      > without
      > > any problems. Last week I was on a American flight from Miami to
      > New
      > > York. The stewardess saw my GPS and asked what it was. I told her
      > > and she called the pilot and told me to turn it off as it would
      > > interfere with his flight instruments, and if I didn't turn it
      off
      > > it would be confisgated and I would be arrested upon landing.
      Does
      > > anyone know the regulations regarding usage? Or was this pilot
      > > overstepping his bounds?
    • Michael Tordoff
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
        First, to add to the thread on 60CS interfering with radios and cockpit
        instruments, my 60CS interfered with my wireless bike computer (a
        Specialized Elite) and I have had to switch for a wired bike computer.

        Second, my 60CS fell out of the Garmin bicycle mount and broke, and is now
        back at the factory being repaired. I have heard that older Garmin bicycle
        mounts suffered from problems with the plastic fastener snapping off. In my
        case, the GPS simply flew out of the cradle; the mount did not break. I was
        riding on a mildly potholed road - nothing rough. Anyway, it seems
        worthwhile to take the precaution of a using a backup mount, perhaps by
        fastening the lanyard around the handlebars.

        With my luck, it will probably get tangled in the front wheel spokes.

        Mike Tordoff
        GPSless in Philadelphia
      • joseyahoo@wowway.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
          Hello,

          Electronic devices prohibited on flights are listed in the Airline
          Magazine that is usually in the front pocket of your seat.

          Regards,
          Jose E.
          Society of N-Scalers
          Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
          www.societynscalers.com
          (Stop by and visit!)

          (This e-mail was sent via Tungsten C with built-in WiFi)

          >For years I have used my Vista on aircraft to pass the time without
          >any problems. Last week I was on a American flight from Miami to New
          >York. The stewardess saw my GPS and asked what it was. I told her
          >and she called the pilot and told me to turn it off as it would
          >interfere with his flight instruments, and if I didn't turn it off
          >it would be confisgated and I would be arrested upon landing. Does
          >anyone know the regulations regarding usage? Or was this pilot
          >overstepping his bounds?
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • beaumont_80004
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
            Hi Mike,
            Take the hand lanyard and loop it through the hole by the antenna and
            then loop it around the handle bar. It's still easy to remove and it
            may come out of the mount, but it won't hit the ground or get in the
            wheel.
            Good Luck,
            Barry
            Arvada, CO

            > With my luck, it will probably get tangled in the front wheel
            spokes.

            > Mike Tordoff
            > GPSless in Philadelphia
          • José E. Torres
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
              It's not so much the instruments right at the cockpit but the,
              literally, miles of wiring and other sensors running through out the
              airplane that the equipment itself uses.

              Later,

              <JéT>