Re: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] batteries and low temperatures

  • GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
      Bitstring
      <62D893DA359BD411BAA30008C7B16B0D13D1E091@...>, from the
      wonderful person AYALA Gustavo AUTO <YAPAYG@...> said
      >Javier, out of curiosity, I've been told that NiMh batteries don't work
      >well under such low temperatures, and that one shouldn't use
      >rechargables but Alkalies batteries.

      Even alkalines don't work well at low temps - you need Lithium or
      Lithium Ion or similar. However with a GPS the LCD will probably cr&p
      out before the batteries get to be a big issue. Google should find you
      various articles about battery capacity vs temperature.

      --
      GSV Three Minds in a Can
    • kahn98055
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
        I have used AA-NiMH batteries in my Canon camera at temperatures as
        low as about 10F (I'll let someone else figure out Celsius right now)
        while out cross-country skiing. The camera was in a thin case hanging
        off the shoulder strap of my pack. The camera seemed to work altho
        occasionally it sounded as if the gears were a bit reluctant to move
        the lens in/out. I cannot say that I've used them in the 76CS at
        those temps as I don't recall what was in it but have used them on
        occasion as well as alkaline AA's.

        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "AYALA Gustavo
        AUTO" <YAPAYG@S...> wrote:

        > Javier, out of curiosity, I've been told that NiMh batteries don't
        work well under such low temperatures, and that one shouldn't use
        rechargables but Alkalies batteries.

        > Is that true ? Did you use Alkalines for such low temperatures ?
        >
        > Is there some curve showing NiMh charge vs temperature ? ( I
        suppose for example that at 0°C a NiMh battery may hold 50 % of its
        nominal capacity, so to speak )

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
          I use NiMH almost all the time; I believe they actually do marginally
          better than alkalines in cold. I do notice my NiMH batteries go down
          faster on backcountry ski trips, etc., when the GPS is on my
          packstrap in the cold (as opposed to behavior on summer hikes).

          I always carry a set of Li AAs in my pack. I've been stuck in a
          whiteout when my NiMH dropped to half-charge quickly, and the
          knowledge of the back-up Li kept me from soiling my pants.

          Gustavo AUTO" <YAPAYG@S...> wrote:

          > Javier, out of curiosity, I've been told that NiMh batteries don't
          work well under such low temperatures, and that one shouldn't use
          rechargables but Alkalies batteries.

          > Is that true ? Did you use Alkalines for such low temperatures ?
          >
          > Is there some curve showing NiMh charge vs temperature ? ( I
          suppose for example that at 0°C a NiMh battery may hold 50 % of its
          nominal capacity, so to speak )

          > _____

        • alpamayo57
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
            AUTO" <YAPAYG@S...> wrote:

            > Javier, out of curiosity, I've been told that NiMh batteries don't
            work well under such low temperatures, and that one shouldn't use
            rechargables but Alkalies batteries.

            > Is that true ? Did you use Alkalines for such low temperatures ?
            >
            > Is there some curve showing NiMh charge vs temperature ? ( I
            suppose for example that at 0°C a NiMh battery may hold 50 % of its
            nominal capacity, so to speak )

            Gustavo,
            for your reference I found this site http://www.batteryuniversity.com/
            very useful.
            In my experience cold temperatures DO affect battery performance.
            That's why I always keep them warm by carrying them in my pockets and,
            at night in my sleeping bag. I only use NiMH batteries (2500mA) and
            only occasionally (in emergency) alkaline batteries.
            Plus bear in mind that in general all electronic material (cameras,
            cellphones, transceivers, gpsr's) may be adversely affected by (very)
            cold temperatures.
            Mike
          • AYALA Gustavo AUTO
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
              Thank you all for the battery in low temperatures information.

              I'll do more research on my own now.
              The thing is I'll be rarely in such cold, but when that happens I wanna
              be prepared for it.

              Gustavo.
            • kirbike03
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 8, 2005
                AUTO" <YAPAYG@S...> wrote:
                >I used 2 pairs of Lithium batteries over 16 days on
                Aconcagua....minus 35, 120kph winds, 22,000 ft....kept the GPS, and a
                Cannon Elph in a chest pack....neither failed me.

                > Thank you all for the battery in low temperatures information.
                >
                > I'll do more research on my own now.
                > The thing is I'll be rarely in such cold, but when that happens I wanna
                > be prepared for it.
                >
                > Gustavo.

              • Tim Rhind
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 8, 2005
                  Where are the pics...Would love to see them.  The weather you experienced is similar to our winters here in Winnipeg.

                  http://www.members.shaw.ca/ve4tjr/

                    AUTO" <YAPAYG@S...> wrote:
                  >I used 2 pairs of Lithium batteries over 16 days on
                  Aconcagua....minus 35, 120kph winds, 22,000 ft....kept the GPS, and a
                  Cannon Elph in a chest pack....neither failed me.

                  > Thank you all for the battery in low temperatures information.
                  >
                  > I'll do more research on my own now.
                  > The thing is I'll be rarely in such cold, but when that happens I wanna
                  > be prepared for it.
                  >
                  > Gustavo.

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  --