Re: Free Topo's for 60cs

  • fredhoorn
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
      --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Rudy, Alex, Patrick"
      <rudygis@h...> wrote:

      > Hello all, Is there any Free Topo Maps that can be loaded into the
      > 60cs. Can't see spending the money for the Garmin Topo CD for only
      > using it once or twice....Thanks..

      There are several webpages around where lists are available. I give
      some examples: http://rwsmaps.griffel.se/
      http://home.wtal.de/noegs/freemaps.htm
      http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/

      Of course you can also make maps yourself, transfer them to your GPS
      and make them available to others. This takes some time. There are
      many (free) tools available on the internet.

      Regards,
      Fred
    • Peter McKellar
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
        Actually making your own maps isn't too hard. I have done it. It more depends on what data you can get. I guess it also depends on how much data you want to be on that map and how large an area you are going to cover.

        I started off with some ESRI shp files that I obtained from a friend who worked in the GIS department of the local Council.

        These files included, roads, contours with 20m interval, contours with a 2m interval for a smaller area, location of geothermal features in the district, location of all the street lights in the district, all the property boundaries in the district.

        The tools I used were all free. GPSMapEdit, cGPSMapper and SendMap. I played around and used combinations of the above to create GPS loadable .img files. Some of this data was a bit useless, eg streetlights and 2m contours, but property boundaries is certainly very useful.

        One limitation might be the computing power needed for cGPSMapper to compile files covering a large area, but as I have restricted myself to a local area, that is not a problem.

        I certainly think that map creation is something that any slightly computer literate GPS user might like to have a go at. The question for me is whether it is possible to create files better than what is commercially available. For me the commercial ones are the ones I use most of the time so the map making was more of an intellectual exercise than anything else.

        On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:10:17 -0000, Roy wrote:
        > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Rudy, Alex, Patrick"
        > <rudygis@h...> wrote:
        >

        >> Hello all, Is there any Free Topo Maps that can be loaded into
        >> the 60cs.
        >>

        > AFIK, the only topo maps you can load onto a 60C(S) are those made
        > by Garmin.  Used to be I could just say that the only maps you
        > could load into your GPS receiver, *regardless of brand*, were the
        > maps sold by the manufacturer of the receiver.  For Garmin, it is
        > now possible to make one's own maps, but from what I've read the
        > process is not simple.  I get the impression that most people who
        > make these maps do it as an interesting hobby or because maps of
        > their area are not otherwise available.  The posts I remember
        > seeing regarding user- created maps have all referred to street
        > maps, not topo maps. I can only speculate that making loadable topo
        > maps would be much more difficult than making street maps.
        >
        >> Can't see spending the money for the Garmin Topo CD for only
        >> using it once or twice
        >>

        > You mean you only plan to go hiking (or whatever) once or twice??
        >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >

        > -  Visit your group "GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS" on the web.
        >
        > -  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        >
        > -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        > Service.

      • a1forester
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
          "I started off with some ESRI shp files that I obtained from a friend
          who worked in the GIS department of the local Council."

          Just curious. Were you able to use the native .shp files and translate
          them, or did you have to "trace" the data is some manner. The map
          creation I've looked into involved tedious digitizing from the screen.

          The reason I ask is that I use GIS quite a bit for work with access to
          all sorts of data. My work also involves the heavy use of the 60CS for
          recon puposes. Having a way to fairly easily make maps of road and
          contour info for use with the 60CS in the woods would be great.

          DS
        • Peter McKellar
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
            No, it is a lot simpler than that.

            You can open .shp files with GPSMapEdit (obtainable from http://www.geopainting.com ) by using File/import.

            You can also add waypoints, tracks or other objects that you can open with GPSMapEdit at this stage.

            Once you have the file open then you have to save it in .mp (Polish format)

            Then you do file/export to create the .img file, and during this process you will have to specify the path to cGPSMapper http://www.cgpsmapper.com/

            That's the broad outline. There are issues relating to the different layers when creating maps but I havn't really got the hang of that myself.

            Finally you use sendmap20.exe to load the img file into your GPS. You can get that from http://www.cgpsmapper.com/ as well.

            On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 01:29:40 -0000, a1forester wrote:
            > "I started off with some ESRI shp files that I obtained from a
            > friend who worked in the GIS department of the local Council."
            >
            > Just curious.  Were you able to use the native .shp files and
            > translate them, or did you have to "trace" the data is some manner.
            >  The map creation I've looked into involved tedious digitizing from
            > the screen.
            >
            > The reason I ask is that I use GIS quite a bit for work with access
            > to all sorts of data.  My work also involves the heavy use of the
            > 60CS for recon puposes.  Having a way to fairly easily make maps of
            > road and contour info for use with the 60CS in the woods would be
            > great.
            >
            > DS

            > Craft hobby
            > Electronics hobby
            > Electronics hobby kit
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            > -  Visit your group "GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS" on the web.
            >
            > -  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            >
            > -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            > Service.

          • SK
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
              There are free Topo maps for Europe and some other regions on:

              http://www.gpsmaps.de/page2.htm

              Also there is a request form if you want some non covered regions.

              Sabin

              --
              ---
              http://www.sained.com/sabin

              "Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!"
            • wailing_asteroid
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
                > On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:23:06 +0200, Rudy, Alex, Patrick
                > <rudygis@h...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hello all, Is there any Free Topo Maps that can be loaded into the
                > > 60cs. Can't see spending the money for the Garmin Topo CD for only
                > > using it once or twice....Thanks..

                If you look into the "map_authors" yahoo group, there is lots of
                information on how to import boundaries, railroads, topo contours,
                streams and lakes into your device. Check out the instructions here:
                http://rwsmaps.griffel.se/ and scroll down about 2/3rds of the way to
                "How to make your own maps" example about Crater Lake.

                Also take a look at: http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm for
                more great info on loading data into your gps.

                Both are great sites that I used to build my first topo map.

                Chris
              • Rudy, Alex, Patrick
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 9, 2005
                  Hello all, I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my post
                  for "Free Topo's for 60cs". After reading all the replys, I've
                  learned a bit about topo's and it appears I could use TOPO's more
                  then "once or twice" like I first thought....Thanks again.

                  --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "wailing_asteroid"
                  <wailing_asteroid@y...> wrote:

                  > > On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:23:06 +0200, Rudy, Alex, Patrick
                  > > <rudygis@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Hello all, Is there any Free Topo Maps that can be loaded into
                  the
                  > > > 60cs. Can't see spending the money for the Garmin Topo CD for
                  only
                  > > > using it once or twice....Thanks..
                  > > >

                  > If you look into the "map_authors" yahoo group, there is lots of
                  > information on how to import boundaries, railroads, topo contours,
                  > streams and lakes into your device. Check out the instructions here:
                  > http://rwsmaps.griffel.se/ and scroll down about 2/3rds of the way
                  > "How to make your own maps" example about Crater Lake.
                  >
                  > Also take a look at: http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm for
                  > more great info on loading data into your gps.
                  >
                  > Both are great sites that I used to build my first topo map.
                  >
                  > Chris

                • eballina1960
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 24, 2005
                    <rudygis@h...> wrote:

                    > Hello all, Is there any Free Topo Maps that can be loaded into the
                    > 60cs. Can't see spending the money for the Garmin Topo CD for only
                    > using it once or twice....Thanks..

                    I have purchased an application named Mapwel that allows you to build
                    your own topo maps by simpling "tracing" over any scanned image (i.e.
                    a topo map) and calibrating the image by identifying two points on the
                    map with its coordinates. It works like a charm but is abit time
                    consuming. I have used it for my Garmin GPSmap 176C but the 60CS is
                    identified on their website as being compatible. The software cost me
                    $75 but youcan download a trial version for free. The website is
                    www.Mapwel.biz.
                  • r_owings1
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 24, 2005
                      --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "eballina1960"
                      <eballina@c...> wrote:

                      > I have purchased an application named Mapwel that allows you to build
                      > your own topo maps by simpling "tracing" over any scanned image (i.e.
                      > a topo map) and calibrating the image by identifying two points on the
                      > map with its coordinates.

                      Free Diigital Line Graph (DLGs) files are available for contour lines,
                      roads, trails, etc., that allow you to do this without "tracing" anything.

                      Rich Owings
                      http://www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com/
                      http://GPStracklog.typepad.com

                      "We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as
                      others do their holy books." – Edward Abbey