Re: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] [Fwd: [Garmin_GPSmap_76C] Battery life for 76CS vs. 76CS with Gilsson Antenna]

  • GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
      Bitstring <ZmP6q0AoXfZDFAfn@...>, from the wonderful person
      GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@...> said
      >Bitstring <436449FC.2010809@...>, from the wonderful person Barry
      >L. Lankford <BarryL@...> said
      >>Here's a post I made to the 76C/CS group this morning. It doesn't
      >>apply directly to the 60C/CS, but I suspect the same experiment
      >>with a 60CS would have similar results and that the implications
      >>would be the same, so I thought I'd cross-post it here.
      ><snip good stuff>
      >
      >>So, here's a recap:
      >>76CS without Gilsson Antenna: 28 hours, 1 minute
      >>76CS with Gilsson Antenna: 21 hours, 52 minutes
      >
      >The 'half battery life' comment was from me - my old 60C (serial number
      >xxx48685) got ~25-30 hours on a pair of 2300 mAHr Ansmann NiMH cells,
      >with internal antenna only.
      >
      >The replacement unit (which is actually older - serial # xxx22183) got
      >only ~17 Hrs 38 Mins hours with an external Gilsson antenna (the one
      >with ~3m of lead). I guess I need to check the new unit and see if it is
      >just a bigger current hog than the original, even on the internal
      >antenna only.

      OK, I only get 21 hours with internal antenna, so the problem is that
      the replacement unit is a significantly bigger current hog than the one
      I had originally, which would run for ~25-30. Not a huge problem, since
      even 17 hours is still plenty. The Gilsson makes less difference on mine
      than it did on yours, and certainly not near the 50% I was claiming. Me
      bad!

      --
      GSV Three Minds in a Can