Re: Screen protection

  • Dale Eva
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
      Glad I could help someone else out for a change.

      Dale

      Message: 7
      Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:23:34 -0500
      From: "Barry L. Lankford" <BarryL@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Screen protection

      Dale:

      Thanks for your suggestion. I stopped by Walmart a couple of nights
      ago
      and bought a lifetime supply (one yard & about 60" wide) of clear vinyl

      for
      the grand sum of $1.97 (I might have bought a thicker version than you
      got). Tried it out yesterday and it worked like a charm. I think I'll
      like your suggestion better than my own using Avery pressure sensitive
      laminating plastic.

      After I cut out a piece of the vinyl using the template I'd made for my
      76CS months ago, and temporarily fitted it to the screen to check for
      the
      need of further adjustments to the outline, I realized I had
      fingerprints
      all over both sides of it. Remembering your mention of getting it wet
      before applying it, I simply used dish detergent to wash it (and my
      hands)
      thoroughly. I also rinsed it thoroughly since I believe residual
      detergent
      can drain static charges. I applied it slightly wet from one of the
      long
      straight edges, squeezing out most of the air and water as I laid it
      down
      to the other edge. I was surprised at how tenaciously it gripped the
      plastic window. Great idea!

      Barry

      Dale Eva wrote:
      >> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:24:38 -0000
      >> From: "crayonharry" <crayonharry@...>
      >>Subject: Screen protection
      >>

      >>I want to put a little plastic protective screen -- thats normally
      >>used
      >>to protect the screens of Palm Pilots -- on my Garmin. Could it do
      >>any
      >>harm?
      >>Thx
      >

      > For $1 at Walmart (little more at other fabric stores) you can buy a
      > square yard of clear vinyl in the fabric department. The vinyl comes
      in
      > various thicknesses, I think I used the second or third from the
      > thinnest. Measure and make a template out of thin cardboard (cereal
      > box) then make as many protectors as you want for a lifetime. I use
      > them on the GPS and both my cameras. No sticky backing or glue
      > required, the vinyl will naturally adhere to the plastic. If you wet
      it
      > slightly before putting it on, it's easier to get the air bubbles
      out.
      > Don't worry about getting all the bubbles out immediately, they'll
      > disappear after a few days.
      >
      > Dale

      __________________________________
      http://farechase.yahoo.com
    • Sammy
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 4, 2005
        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, Dale Eva
        <dale_eva@r...> wrote:

        I don't know if the Garmin has a plastic or glass screen. I applied
        the plastic protector designed for the Palm Pilot to my Magellan.
        After several months I noticed the images were not as crisp. When I
        removed the protective protector, it had permanently clouded the
        plastic.

        My next GPS will be a Garmin....I'm just waiting for them to add a
        memory card slot. Does anyone know when this will happen?

      • rharvey422
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
          > I don't know if the Garmin has a plastic or glass screen. I applied
          > the plastic protector designed for the Palm Pilot to my Magellan.
          > After several months I noticed the images were not as crisp. When I
          > removed the protective protector, it had permanently clouded the
          > plastic.

          Try polishing the screen with Brasso or tooth paste.

          I've been using the screen protector from strongengineering.com. Its
          been on there for about 6 months now with no ill effect.

          I not sure of the entire Garmin line, but the 76cs feels like it has a
          plastic screen.

          Bob
        • GSV Three Minds in a Can
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
            Bitstring <dkircl+4qpu@...>, from the wonderful person
            rharvey422 <rharvey422@...> said
            >> I don't know if the Garmin has a plastic or glass screen. I applied
            >> the plastic protector designed for the Palm Pilot to my Magellan.
            >> After several months I noticed the images were not as crisp. When I
            >> removed the protective protector, it had permanently clouded the
            >> plastic.
            >
            >Try polishing the screen with Brasso or tooth paste.
            >
            >I've been using the screen protector from strongengineering.com. Its
            >been on there for about 6 months now with no ill effect.
            >
            >I not sure of the entire Garmin line, but the 76cs feels like it has a
            >plastic screen.
            <snip>

            I'm pretty sure they're all plastic (polycarbonate) these days. Glass is
            heavy, fragile, more prone to condensation, etc. I'm surprised that a
            protector could cause the screen to cloud up though - I wonder if the OP
            has tried some ordinary cleaning techniques (soapy water, Isopropanol,
            TFT screen cleaner .. ). I'd try that before mechanical polishing (which
            is what Brasso/toothpaste does) - too easy to get a bit of grit involved
            in the latter, and really scratch the screen all to blazes.

            Another trick is to polish with a drop of olive oil .. if the hazing is
            micro-scratches, that will (temporarily) fill them in and hide them.

            --
            GSV Three Minds in a Can
          • Roy
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
              --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, GSV Three Minds in a
              Can <GSV@q...> wrote:
              > I wonder if the OP
              > has tried some ordinary cleaning techniques (soapy water,
              Isopropanol,
              > TFT screen cleaner .. ). I'd try that before mechanical polishing
              (which
              > is what Brasso/toothpaste does) - too easy to get a bit of grit
              involved
              > in the latter, and really scratch the screen all to blazes.

              While I absolutely agree with your suggestion, if that doesn't work,
              I would suggest the OP get a product that is made for removing
              scratches from plastic and plexiglass. I used one on a cell phone
              display that had become cloudy from abrasion, and it restored it
              nicely. The particular product I used was Bluemagic Plastic &
              Plexiglass Cleaner and Light Scratch Remover, but I'm sure there are
              many similar products that would do the same job. I chose this one
              because it claimed to work on helmet visors, which in the distant
              past when I used to use one were *very* soft plastic and quite prone
              to scratches. I figured if it was safe for helmet visors, it
              probably wouldn't hurt anything else.
            • Paul Herman
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
                Try Cerium Oxide..I was give a container full from my local optrician where it is used for lens polishing...