Converting Google maps search results to waypoints

  • r_owings1
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 2 6:06 PM
      Hi everyone-

      I thought this might interest some of you...

      http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_tracklog/2005/1
      0/converting_goog.html

      Rich Owings
      http://www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com/
      http://www.GPStracklog.com/

      "We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as
      others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey
    • cyrillianfangor
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3 9:29 AM
        Hello Rich.

        This is the second time I've come across the reference you cite in
        your note. Sounds great, and I'd love to deploy it on my web browser
        (Internet Explorer v6.0), but I can't seem to get past the first step
        where I'm supposed to "Drag this link: GMapToGPX to your browser's
        bookmark toolbar". As IE has no "bookmark" toolbar (I
        believe "bookmark" is a Netscape Navigator term) I'm assuming the
        IE "Links" tool bar would work, but it doesn't - I can't drag
        GMapToGPX there, or anywhere else for that matter. I tried it on two
        different PCs with no luck. I'm probably missing something trivial,
        obvious and simple. Any ideas?

        As an aside, I've got your book a while back and am thoroughly
        enjoying it. Great work!

        Regards,

        Dan

        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "r_owings1"

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3 6:18 PM
          Thanks Dan. I'm glad you're enjoying the book.

          I just emailed the author of GMapToGPX and asked how to do this in IE.
          I'll let you know if he replies. There's always Firefox! ;-)

          Rich Owings
          http://www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com/
          http://www.GPStracklog.com/

          "We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as
          others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

          > This is the second time I've come across the reference you cite in
          > your note. Sounds great, and I'd love to deploy it on my web browser
          > (Internet Explorer v6.0), but I can't seem to get past the first step
          > where I'm supposed to "Drag this link: GMapToGPX to your browser's
          > bookmark toolbar". As IE has no "bookmark" toolbar (I
          > believe "bookmark" is a Netscape Navigator term) I'm assuming the
          > IE "Links" tool bar would work, but it doesn't - I can't drag
          > GMapToGPX there, or anywhere else for that matter. I tried it on two
          > different PCs with no luck. I'm probably missing something trivial,
          > obvious and simple. Any ideas?
          >
          > As an aside, I've got your book a while back and am thoroughly
          > enjoying it. Great work!
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Dan
        • r_owings1
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3 7:22 PM
            Hi Dan-

            Sometimes I am so dense! Right-click the GMapsToGPX link in IE and
            select Add to Favorites. Then do your search at local.google.com, get
            the results and then click the GMapsToGPX Favorite.

            Please let me know how it works for you.

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4 11:38 AM
              I knew it! I knew it had to be something simple. I should have been
              able to figure that out :)Anyway, thanks.

              I was able to right click on the GmapToGPX link
              (http://tinyurl.com/7lbzl), and add the link to my Favorites folder
              via the "Add to Favorites" option in the right-click popup
              menu. Once the link was in my Favorites folder, I was than able to
              drag it from there onto my Links toolbar - I generally run my web
              browser (IE v6.0) with the Favorites window minimized. From here, I
              used your example of searching for Wi-Fi hotspots in my city via the
              Google site (http://local.google.com/), and once I had the results
              displayed, I clicked on the GmapToGPX button in my Links toolbar.
              This generated an XML (?) file with the Wi-Fi sites coordinate pair
              values. I used the Copy/Paste command to get this text into a WordPad
              document which I than saved to my hard drive making sure the file
              name ended with a GPX extension. The resulting GPX file opened
              perfectly in TopoFusion v2.7 (http://www.topofusion.com/). From here,
              I can easily upload the Wi-Fi waypoints to my GPS.

              Kudos to the author of GmapToGPX. And once again, thanks for sharing
              this cool tool and for helping me deploy it on my web browser.

              <r_owings1@y...> wrote:
              > Hi Dan-
              >
              > Sometimes I am so dense! Right-click the GMapsToGPX link in IE and
              > select Add to Favorites. Then do your search at local.google.com,
              get
              > the results and then click the GMapsToGPX Favorite.
              >
              > Please let me know how it works for you.
              >
              > Rich Owings
              > http://www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com/
              > http://www.GPStracklog.com/
              >
              > "We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as
              > others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey
            • Christian R.
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4 4:46 PM
                pretty cool,
                Acually if you have a GPX file, the latest Mapsource 6.8.0 should be
                able to deal with it.

                --
                Christian
                http://www.GpsXchange.com -- Exchange GPS Track log, routes and waypoints!
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4 5:24 PM
                  --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Christian R."
                  <Christian.Renninger@g...> wrote:
                  > pretty cool,
                  > Acually if you have a GPX file, the latest Mapsource 6.8.0 should be
                  > able to deal with it.

                  Yeah, I know. I downloaded 6.8 before reporting that it didn't work
                  for me. I'd be curious to know the results if anybody else tries this
                  (Google maps generated waypoints > gpx > Mapsource).

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 5 9:51 AM
                    I've downloaded MapSource v6.8 a while back, but have not installed
                    it yet. Just for grins, I tried opening the Wi-Fi locations GPX file
                    I generated yesterday via my existing installation of MapSource -
                    it's version 6.5. The file opened just fine.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 5 9:55 AM
                      I looked at it and seems like the GPX format generated is not standard
                      GPX and they are applying some transformation to it using their model

                      Let's see if we can do something.

                      <gpx version="1.1"
                      creator="GMapToGPX 3.3 - http://www.elsewhere.org/GMapToGPX/"
                      xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1"
                      xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1
                      http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd">

                      --
                      Christian
                      http://www.GpsXchange.com -- Exchange GPS Track log, routes and waypoints!
                    • wailing_asteroid
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 16 9:07 PM
                        > On 04/10/05, r_owings1 <r_owings1@y...> wrote:
                        > > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Christian R."
                        > > <Christian.Renninger@g...> wrote:
                        > > > pretty cool,
                        > > > Acually if you have a GPX file, the latest Mapsource 6.8.0
                        should be
                        > > > able to deal with it.

                        I tried it with Mapsource 6.8 and it didn't wotk, but then I took the
                        spaces out of the GPX name and it worked fine. It also works fine with
                        underscores instead of spaces for long names. "This long name.gpx"
                        doesn't work, but "This_long_name.gpx" does work.

                        Cool, this is a great addition in how to get waypoints into the gps.
                        Thanks!

                        Chris
                      • Robert Lipe
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 17 7:55 AM
                          GPSBabel will also read the output of Google Maps and make GPX files
                          (or Mapsource or Mapsend or pretty much anything else) out of them.