Re: Software Unlock Concerns

  • luggageandleather
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 22, 2005
      --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, GSV Three Minds in a Can
      <GSV@q...> wrote:
      > Bitstring <dgut0u+cm8o@e...>, from the wonderful person ot2lund
      > <otto.lund@o...> said
      > <snip>
      >
      > >When you use a topo map product, you get topo map details, and
      direct
      > >line routes, not via roads.
      >
      > You can turn 'follow roads' on/off at the handset, I believe,
      regardless
      > of what (if any) mapping products are installed.
      >
      > Setup-> routing ->follow road (or off-road).
      >
      > Of course if you turn it on, with only the basemap installed (i.e.
      no
      > City Select or whatever) you will get some strange and useless
      routings!

      When you tell your unit to "go to" it asks if you want "follow road"
      or "off road". If you follow the road while navigating and then end
      up going to the same location off road, you can just hit "menu",
      choose "recalculate" then tell it "off road". I think it works great!
      > 8>.
      >
      > >When you use City Select v7 road navigation product, you get
      routing
      > >via roads, utn-by-turn, street names, road numbers, addresses,
      Points
      > >of Interest (POIs), a few topo details, etc.
      >
      > <snip>
      > --
      > GSV Three Minds in a Can
      > Contact recommends the use of Firefox; SC recommends it at gunpoint.
    • jkalenkiewicz
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005
        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "ot2lund"
        <otto.lund@o...> wrote:

        > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "bigwheel40"
        > <bigwheel@w...> wrote:
        > > Hi All,
        > > Thinking of trading in my magellan Sportrack pro for an Garmin
        C60 or
        > > C60s. (Magellan has really fallen down with their new units)A
        couple
        > > of questions for this forum:
        > >
        > > A: I am concerned though that the additional software has an
        unlock
        > > code that would prevent me from installing the software on both
        my
        > > home and laptop computer. Is this the case?
        > >
        > > B: Can I turn off the autorouting feature, while hiking? That
        is,
        > can
        > > I get "as the crow flies" non-road detail between two way points?
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance.
        > > Jeffrey
        >
        > You can install the map products on as many computers as you like,
        but
        > one license is for maximum two GPS units (serial numbers).
        >
        > When you use a topo map product, you get topo map details, and
        direct
        > line routes, not via roads.
        > When you use City Select v7 road navigation product, you get
        routing
        > via roads, utn-by-turn, street names, road numbers, addresses,
        Points
        > of Interest (POIs), a few topo details, etc.

        City select allows "as the crow flies" directions also. You have a
        choice of "Off road" and "Follow road"
      • Walter Haynes
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005

          But suppose you do not want any routing at all.  Can you turn it off?

          > > Thinking of trading in my magellan Sportrack pro for an Garmin
          C60 or
          > > C60s. (Magellan has really fallen down with their new units)A
          couple
          > > of questions for this forum:
          > >
          > > A: I am concerned though that the additional software has an
          unlock
          > > code that would prevent me from installing the software on both
          my
          > > home and laptop computer.  Is this the case?
          > >
          > > B: Can I turn off the autorouting feature, while hiking?  That
          is,
          > can
          > > I get "as the crow flies" non-road detail between two way points?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance.
          > > Jeffrey
          >
          > You can install the map products on as many computers as you like,
          but
          > one license is for maximum two GPS units (serial numbers).
          >
          > When you use a topo map product, you get topo map details, and
          direct
          > line routes, not via roads.
          > When you use City Select v7 road navigation product, you get
          routing
          > via roads, utn-by-turn, street names, road numbers, addresses,
          Points
          > of Interest (POIs), a few topo details, etc.

          City select allows "as the crow flies" directions also. You have a
          choice of "Off road" and "Follow road"

        • ot2lund
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005
            Yes, you can turn routing off, and on.

            --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Walter Haynes"
            <whaynes39@c...> wrote:

            > But suppose you do not want any routing at all. Can you turn it
            off?

            > _____

            t=ms&k=Garmin+gpsmap+60c&w1=Garmin+gpsmap+60c&

            w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&w5=Ele
            ctronic
            > s+hobby&w6=Electronics+hobby+kit&c=6&s=142&.sig=I7p_-
            qiWltmhpUSnXxPkRw>
            > gpsmap 60c
            >
            > Hobby
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Garmin+gpsmap

            +60c&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&w
            5=Elect

            ronics+hobby&w6=Electronics+hobby+kit&c=6&s=142&.sig=0vRHraBX8vEU8L8U
            0M67JQ>
            > and craft supply
            >
            > Craft
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Garmin+gpsmap+60c&w2=Hob

            by+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&w5=Electroni
            cs+hobb
            > y&w6=Electronics+hobby+kit&c=6&s=142&.sig=EJMpveHnkx9CAWlqqzurvA>
            hobby

            > Hobbies
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Hobbies+and+crafts&w1=Garmin+gpsmap+60c

            &w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&w5=El
            ectroni

            cs+hobby&w6=Electronics+hobby+kit&c=6&s=142&.sig=loLHUDpuzXd0jjA9DSr4
            ag>
            > and crafts
            >
            > Electronics
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Electronics+hobby&w1=Garmin+gpsmap+60c&

            w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&w5=Ele
            ctronic

            s+hobby&w6=Electronics+hobby+kit&c=6&s=142&.sig=EG9Ac0IBQWbvHBAOPg9Fo

            > hobby
            >
            > Electronics
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Electronics+hobby+kit&w1=Garmin+gpsmap+

            60c&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&w5
            =Electr

            onics+hobby&w6=Electronics+hobby+kit&c=6&s=142&.sig=FkYTan6NgatrfbaBj
            Cb81Q>
            > hobby kit
            >

            > _____
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            > * Visit your group "GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS> " on the web.

            subject=Unsubscribe

            > _____

          • rocksmyplimsoul
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005
              It's not a matter of turning Routing off, just don't initiate the
              routing function if you don't want to use it. You can always use the
              60C/CS to view your destination on a map without being directed to it,
              and if you'd like you can also set a proximity alert to tell you when
              you're close to it.