barometer range

  • greg
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      Does anyone know what the limits of the barometer are? Just out of
      curiosity I put my 60cs in a vacum and the lowest reading I got was
      around 380 in HG. Does anyone know if the 60cs will read below that?
    • GSV Three Minds in a Can
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        Bitstring <d01efc+clo6@...>, from the wonderful person greg
        <glocke9704@...> said

        >Does anyone know what the limits of the barometer are? Just out of
        >curiosity I put my 60cs in a vacum and the lowest reading I got was
        >around 380 in HG. Does anyone know if the 60cs will read below that?

        I rather doubt it.

        Does it still work after being in a vacuum? I guess that proves the case
        seals leak, else it would likely have exploded (I'm sort of surprised
        the batteries and LCD didn't pop).

        The sort of sensors these things use are not generally rated (and
        certainly not calibrated) for anything outside normal barometer range.

        --
        GSV Three Minds in a Can
        SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
          Yes, it works fine....did this sunday morning and and than used it
          all that day and the next on a hike...seals appear to be fine. Had
          it out in a snow storm with no problem..

          I was concerend about doing damage to it, but went ahead anyway....I
          figured the seals are enough to make it waterproof/resistant, but
          not airtight...

          --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, GSV Three Minds in a

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
            actually that should be 3.89 in Hg