Re: How to scan and use own map in GPSMAP 60CS ?

  • tnphuket
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
      OK, I should probaly have started a new thread on this instead of
      replying to the one about scanning (...I just picked up on that phrase
      "the Garmin format is now known"...). I'm not trying to scan anything,
      but to convert from another digital format. I live in South East Asia,
      and MapSource does not cover my area. However, I have found, locally,
      another electronic map that does, and I have decoded that format
      (wasn't particularly difficult). I've already made a program that can
      convert it to "Polish Format", used by cGPSMapper, but if I use the
      free-/shareware option of that it's too limited and I find the other
      options too expensive for what they are. I could of course sit down
      and 'hack' the IMG-format as well, but no need to invent the hot water
      again, if it's already out there....
      I'll have a look at what you suggested, thanks....

      --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Harlan Stockman"
      <hwstockman@y...> wrote:

      > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Harlan Stockman"
      > <hwstockman@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "tnphuket"
      > > <seismic_dude@h...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > "The Garmin format is now known..."
      >
      > Another hint, which you may have done:
      >
      > type "scan" (without the quotes) in the "search archives" box for
      > this group.
    • chsims1
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 11, 2004
        <seismic_dude@h...> wrote:

        > "The Garmin format is now known..."
        >
        > Does anyone know where to find a description of it (the
        .IMG-format,
        > that is)?

        Most of the Yahoo Groups related to mapsource are full of spam & do
        not appear to be moderated. The exception to this is the
        "map_authors" group which contains no spam, has a large number of
        contributors & is jam-packed with useful information for those trying
        to make their own maps.

        Regards,

        Ian Sutherland