Uploading your own scanned maps into a mapping GPS?

  • simondynamitecomau
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
      I want to buy a colour GPS for backcountry snowboarding and bush
      walking.

      Since there are no commercial topo maps available for mapping GPS
      units in Australia, I need to work out if (and how) it is possible
      to load scanned topo maps into the GPS units.

      Is there software available that lets the user upload their own topo
      maps into a GPS unit, rather than the commercial GPS ready topo maps
      that are available (or not available for my location)?

      I am considering the following units...
      Garmin GPSMAP 60C
      Garmin GPSMAP 60CS
      Garmin eTrex Vista C
      Garmin eTrex Legend C
      Magellan Meridian Color
      Magellan SporTrack Color

      Any opinions on these choices, and which would be best suited to my
      applications...bushwalking and use in the snow...I guess stability
      in a cold environment be an issue?

      Thanks,
      Simon
      Canberra
      AUSTRALIA
    • brian sommerville
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
        Message
        Hi Simon,

        We did some topo maps (as an experiment) for the Magellan colour range, Meridian and Sportrak. You can download them for free from:

        cheers
        brian
        ph  02 9999 2313
        fax 02 9999 6716

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
          --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "simondynamitecomau"
          <simon.wheaton@c...> wrote:

          > I want to buy a colour GPS for backcountry snowboarding and bush
          > walking.
          >
          > Since there are no commercial topo maps available for mapping GPS
          > units in Australia, I need to work out if (and how) it is possible
          > to load scanned topo maps into the GPS units.

          I realize this is not a direct answer, but I still think this opinion
          may be relevant!

          Frankly, I don't think topo maps are all that relevant, if the
          following are true:

          1) You can plan your possible destinations beforehand, and upload
          waypoints and tracks. Using something like oziexplorer or expertgps,
          you can upload up to 10 tracks of 500 points each to your 60c/s
          (leaving one for the active route), and can well-define anywhere you
          might go. The tracks can just be ridgelines, rivers, etc.

          2) You log constantly, so you can always see "where you've been."
          I found the latter feature important when backcountry skiing (in
          fact, snowbaorders had been there), since it is so easy to go into
          the "wrong" bowl when you are sailing downhill at a fair speed. It's
          good to catch that sort of error soon so you don't end up miles from
          your car.
        • McKellar, Peter
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
            I never thought I would be saying this, but TOPO maps for Garmin GPS's
            are now available for New Zealand and it seems that this is BEFORE
            Australia. WOW!.

            A Christchurch company http://www.geosystems.co.nz/ has just released a
            CD, though it isn't mentioned on their web site. I have seen it in
            action on a 60C and it is great! It also works on the Vista & the 76C

            This is the reason I joined this list, I am considering buying one
            myself.

            While this doesn't help you in Australia, it means you can take heart.
            There are obviously local companies working with local data to produce
            just what you want. The solution can't be far around the corner.

            CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential information
            intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not
            the intended recipient of this message you are notified that any use,
            dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited;
            If you have received this message in error please notify the sender
            immediately via return email and erase all copies of this message and
            attachments. Any views expressed in this message are those of the
            individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Rotorua
            District Council.
          • annoyedone@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
              --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "McKellar, Peter"
              <peter.mckellar@r...> wrote:

              > I never thought I would be saying this, but TOPO maps for Garmin
              > GPS's are now available for New Zealand and it seems that this is
              > BEFORE Australia. WOW!.

              FYI the maps were created by Brent Cannard and I've mentioned them
              several times before over in the 76C/76CS group. He also has maps of
              NZ for Magellan units. Here's a direct link to his site.

              http://www.nzgpsmaps.com/

              Brent was kind enough to supply me with an early version of his v4
              street maps (http://www.nzgpsmaps.com/Ver4.htm). I can attest that
              they work fine in MapSource just as any Garmin product does. Of course
              they don't autoroute on the PC or GPS but they're still very useful. I
              know how much effort Brent put into those maps so when you see the
              prices remember they're in NZ$.

              If anyone wants further information about v4 (segments sizes etc) I'll
              be glad to supply that info.

              Finally, Brent owns a 76CS and is a member of the 76C/76CS group (and
              maybe this one too).
            • McKellar, Peter
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
                Thanks for the links to those sites.

                I had been to the Geosystems home page but there doesn't seem to be a
                link there to http://www.geosystems.co.nz/movingwindow/

                I think brent deserves our thanks.

                Yahoo! Groups Links