Re: How to scan and use own map in GPSMAP 60CS ?

  • r_owings1
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
      If you want to learn how to make vector maps for your Garmin, a good
      place to go is...

      Rich
    • tnphuket
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
        "The Garmin format is now known..."

        Does anyone know where to find a description of it (the .IMG-format,
        that is)?
      • Harlan Stockman
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
          --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "tnphuket"
          <seismic_dude@h...> wrote:

          > "The Garmin format is now known..."
          >
          > Does anyone know where to find a description of it (the .IMG-
          format,
          > that is)?
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          Go to the

          page, and type "mapsource" (without the quotes) into the search box.

          You will see 9 or ten groups that can help you out.
        • tnphuket
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
            Did that. 80-90 percent spam and the rest is just plain useless (for
            my purposes, anyway). Others have asked before me, but no one have
            been answered. Anyone?

            --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Harlan Stockman"
            <hwstockman@y...> wrote:

            > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "tnphuket"
            > <seismic_dude@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > "The Garmin format is now known..."
            > >
            > > Does anyone know where to find a description of it (the .IMG-
            > format,
            > > that is)?

            > .
            > Go to the

            > page, and type "mapsource" (without the quotes) into the search box.
            >
            > You will see 9 or ten groups that can help you out.
          • Brian van der Westhuizen (ZA)
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
              http://www.gpstm.com/eng/dekode_eng.htm

              http://www.gpstm.com/

              These might help

              Thanx
              Brian
              South Africa

              <hwstockman@y...> wrote:

              > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "tnphuket"
              > <seismic_dude@h...> wrote:
              > >
              > > "The Garmin format is now known..."
              > >
              > > Does anyone know where to find a description of it (the .IMG-
              > format,
              > > that is)?

              > .
              > Go to the

              > page, and type "mapsource" (without the quotes) into the search box.
              >
              > You will see 9 or ten groups that can help you out.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              "http://www.didata.com/disclaimer.asp"
            • Harlan Stockman
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
                <seismic_dude@h...> wrote:

                > Did that. 80-90 percent spam and the rest is just plain useless
                (for
                > my purposes, anyway). Others have asked before me, but no one have
                > been answered. Anyone?

                Pardon my not-useful and brusque answer; now here's one to consider.
                (Though you will find more help on the ggogle groups that you have to
                join and get approval -- they tend to be almost spam-free.)

                Go to google groups, ADVANCED (starting point www.dejanews.com),
                and search sci.geo.satellite-nav and alt.satellite.gps, in the last
                6 months, for appropriate keywords. This subject has come up there
                time and time and time again, and has come up on this group (where
                some fairly useful answers were given before).

                Bottom line: it is very, very difficult for a non-professional to
                scan a map and turn that raster format into a vector format suitable
                for Garmin handhelds (PDAs present a different situation). Yes, in
                principle you can make your own vector maps. But once you decide you
                want to get contours or other small-scale features from a raster map,
                you enter a wasp-nest of difficulty.

                However, there are now fairly complete packages that let you start
                from DEMs (digital elevation models), which often freely available.
                The programs will produce vector-format contours, and eventually by
                going through a series of programs, you end up with a garmin file.

                I don't bother doing this. Why? It is an incredible expenditure of
                time, and I find it much easier to plot tracks and routes from aerial
                photos and topo maps, which are then uploaded to my GPS. The topo
                maps one starts with are themselves often suspect. (5% of the time,
                I just ignore the map on the GPS screen, and just pay attention to my
                waypoints and uploaded tracks.
              • Harlan Stockman
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
                  <hwstockman@y...> wrote:

                  > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "tnphuket"
                  > <seismic_dude@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > "The Garmin format is now known..."

                  Another hint, which you may have done:

                  type "scan" (without the quotes) in the "search archives" box for
                  this group.
                • tnphuket
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
                    OK, I should probaly have started a new thread on this instead of
                    replying to the one about scanning (...I just picked up on that phrase
                    "the Garmin format is now known"...). I'm not trying to scan anything,
                    but to convert from another digital format. I live in South East Asia,
                    and MapSource does not cover my area. However, I have found, locally,
                    another electronic map that does, and I have decoded that format
                    (wasn't particularly difficult). I've already made a program that can
                    convert it to "Polish Format", used by cGPSMapper, but if I use the
                    free-/shareware option of that it's too limited and I find the other
                    options too expensive for what they are. I could of course sit down
                    and 'hack' the IMG-format as well, but no need to invent the hot water
                    again, if it's already out there....
                    I'll have a look at what you suggested, thanks....

                    <hwstockman@y...> wrote:

                    > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Harlan Stockman"
                    > <hwstockman@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "tnphuket"
                    > > <seismic_dude@h...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > "The Garmin format is now known..."
                    >
                    > Another hint, which you may have done:
                    >
                    > type "scan" (without the quotes) in the "search archives" box for
                    > this group.
                  • chsims1
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 11, 2004
                      <seismic_dude@h...> wrote:

                      > "The Garmin format is now known..."
                      >
                      > Does anyone know where to find a description of it (the
                      .IMG-format,
                      > that is)?

                      Most of the Yahoo Groups related to mapsource are full of spam & do
                      not appear to be moderated. The exception to this is the
                      "map_authors" group which contains no spam, has a large number of
                      contributors & is jam-packed with useful information for those trying
                      to make their own maps.

                      Regards,

                      Ian Sutherland