Battery foam sent by Garmin for older 60C models?

  • ludo_sak
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2004
      Hi there!

      I took my GPS on a bike trip and lost power a couple of times due to
      the batteries fitting loosely in the compartment.

      I saw a few messages here regarding foam included in newer 60C
      models. As I understood here, in for example America Garmin sends
      this foam free of charge if this occurs and people notify them about
      it.

      I contacted the shop where I bought my GPS (Netherlands, Europe) and
      asked them to ask Garmin about it.
      They now tell me that Garmin does not do that and I will have to try
      some foam attachment myself.

      Am I correct in America providing this to customers with this
      problem? Does Garmin Europe do the same?

      If I do this myself and one of the metals break because of
      overpresurising..

      Hear from you!

      Best regards,

      Ludo Sak
    • daleedwardestes
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "ludo_sak" <Yahoo@L...>
        wrote:
        > Hi there!
        >
        > I took my GPS on a bike trip and lost power a couple of times due
        > the batteries fitting loosely in the compartment.
        >
        > I saw a few messages here regarding foam included in newer 60C
        > models. As I understood here, in for example America Garmin sends
        > this foam free of charge if this occurs and people notify them
        about
        > it.
        >
        > I contacted the shop where I bought my GPS (Netherlands, Europe)
        and
        > asked them to ask Garmin about it.
        > They now tell me that Garmin does not do that and I will have to
        try
        > some foam attachment myself.
        >
        > Am I correct in America providing this to customers with this
        > problem? Does Garmin Europe do the same?
        >
        > If I do this myself and one of the metals break because of
        > overpresurising..
        >
        > Hear from you!
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Ludo Sak

        I had the same problem with the battery clips not springing back
        after so many battery changes. I would lightly bend the tabs back
        into position and it would last for several more changes. Well the
        last time I did this, one of the clips did break off. I wrote Garmin,
        and they sent me a RMA number. I sent it off and it was back in eight
        days. The little foam blocks had been installed by Garmin. I have
        seen on this forum that Garmin was sending the foam blocks out to
        those who had this problem. Maybe you shoud try to contact Garmin
        directly throught their site. See what they say about it.

        Dale
      • Yahoo@lsak.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
          Hi Dale,

          That is a good idea, using the dealer channel does not always work. Eight days is rather quick! It must have felt pretty painful when the pin broke off, I can imagine;)

          Ludo

          > I took my GPS on a bike trip and lost power a couple of times due
          > the batteries fitting loosely in the compartment.
          >
          > I saw a few messages here regarding foam included in newer 60C
          > models. As I understood here, in for example America Garmin sends
          > this foam free of charge if this occurs and people notify them
          about
          > it.
          >
          > I contacted the shop where I bought my GPS (Netherlands, Europe)
          and
          > asked them to ask Garmin about it.
          > They now tell me that Garmin does not do that and I will have to
          try
          > some foam attachment myself.
          >
          > Am I correct in America providing this to customers with this
          > problem? Does Garmin Europe do the same?
          >
          > If I do this myself and one of the metals break because of
          > overpresurising..
          >
          > Hear from you!
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > Ludo Sak

          I had the same problem with the battery clips not springing back
          after so many battery changes. I would lightly bend the tabs back
          into position and it would last for several more changes. Well the
          last time I did this, one of the clips did break off. I wrote Garmin,
          and they sent me a RMA number. I sent it off and it was back in eight
          days. The little foam blocks had been installed by Garmin. I have
          seen on this forum that Garmin was sending the foam blocks out to
          those who had this problem. Maybe you shoud try to contact Garmin
          directly throught their site. See what they say about it.

          Dale

        • ibikealot
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
            I don't know what kind of foam you will get from Garmin, but I have
            been using a small piece of sponge, typically used to clean dishes,
            between the batteries and the battery cover. When my Emap died, I
            took the same piece of foam and am using it in my 60cs. I have used
            it on numerous bicycle trips and have not lost power yet. Someone I
            know also uses a small section of bicycle inner tube compressed
            between the batteries and the cover to do the same thing. The
            solutions to your problem are fairly simple and do not require any
            special foam from Garmin.

            wrote:
            > Hi there!
            >
            > I took my GPS on a bike trip and lost power a couple of times due
            > the batteries fitting loosely in the compartment.
            >
            > I saw a few messages here regarding foam included in newer 60C
            > models. As I understood here, in for example America Garmin sends
            > this foam free of charge if this occurs and people notify them
            about
            > it.
            >
            > I contacted the shop where I bought my GPS (Netherlands, Europe)
            and
            > asked them to ask Garmin about it.
            > They now tell me that Garmin does not do that and I will have to
            try
            > some foam attachment myself.
            >
            > Am I correct in America providing this to customers with this
            > problem? Does Garmin Europe do the same?
            >
            > If I do this myself and one of the metals break because of
            > overpresurising..
            >
            > Hear from you!
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > Ludo Sak
          • Auke Koopmans
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
              I had the same problem as well as a problem with the USB port coming loose.
              Sent it to Garmin Taiwan (I live in Thailand) and they sent me a new unit
              with the foam (rubber?) pads inserted behind the springs in the battery
              compartment.

              Auke