Re: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] My Unit is shutting off !!

  • Martin Gendell
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2004
      Be VERY careful if you try to expand the metal springs holding the
      batteries. About 6 months ago I tried to do just that and even though I
      was using very light pressure, the metal springs snapped right off.
      Unfortunately the springs are NOT end-user replaceable, so I had to send
      my unit back go Garmin for repair. (They were great, BTW.)

      Before trying to bend the metal springs, I recommend trying different
      brands of battery (there is a big enough difference in size between
      brands to make a difference in how well they maintain contact.)
      Alternatively, some people have reported that after talking with
      Garmin's tech support about the battery contact issue, Garmin sent them
      some foam pads to place BEHIND the battery contacts that are very
      effective in solving this problem.

      >>> ilkera@... 9/8/2004 4:20:42 PM >>>
      Hi,

      Did you check the battery compartment of your unit ?
      Maybe your batteries are lose. You may want to try expanding the
      springed metals holding the batteries.

      > Hi everyone.
      >
      > My 60CS keep shutting off about 2or 3 times a day every very often
      !!
      > My Firmware Version is 3.50
      > MapSource V4
      > MapSource V5
      > all that shutting off had start since i downloaded version 3.40 and

      > Up,even Version 3.50.
      > I sent an support e-mail to Garmin, No Reply......yet !
      > Even my unit is loaded with fresh batteries,the unit keeps shutting
      > off.
      > Someone help me with this, Please
      > I don t want to return my unit back for repair. I can t go out
      > without it.!
      > Thanks !!
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:
    • David McNamara
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2004
        Message
        For loose batteries I've always used an aluminum foil shim. (just take a small piece of aluminum foil and fold it a bunch of times until it's the right thickness and size)

        Be VERY careful if you try to expand the metal springs holding the
        batteries. About 6 months ago I tried to do just that and even though I
        was using very light pressure, the metal springs snapped right off.
        Unfortunately the springs are NOT end-user replaceable, so I had to send
        my unit back go Garmin for repair. (They were great, BTW.)

        Before trying to bend the metal springs, I recommend trying different
        brands of battery (there is a big enough difference in size between
        brands to make a difference in how well they maintain contact.)
        Alternatively, some people have reported that after talking with
        Garmin's tech support about the battery contact issue, Garmin sent them
        some foam pads to place BEHIND the battery contacts that are very
        effective in solving this problem.

        ilkera@... 9/8/2004 4:20:42 PM >>>
        Hi,

        Did you check the battery compartment of your unit ?
        Maybe your batteries are lose. You may want to try expanding the
        springed metals holding the batteries.

        > Hi everyone.
        >
        > My 60CS keep
        shutting off about 2or 3 times a day every very often
        !!
        > My Firmware
        Version is 3.50

        MapSource  V4

        MapSource  V5
        > all that shutting off had start  since i
        downloaded version 3.40 and

        > Up,even Version 3.50.
        > I sent an
        support e-mail to Garmin,   No Reply......yet !
        > Even my unit
        is loaded with fresh batteries,the unit keeps shutting
        > off.

        Someone help me with this, Please
        > I don t want to return my unit back
        for repair. I can t go out
        > without it.!
        > Thanks !!
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • Scott Thompson
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2004
          I had my 60CS freeze (lock-up) and after a period of time, the unit turned itself off.  I was not vibrating the unit in any way and I believe it was a firmware problem that caused a watchdog timer timeout.  I was using MetroGuide V5 and Topo at the time.  I've since upgraded to Citi Select V6 and Topo 24k and have not experienced the lockout yet.  I'm very careful about trying to do things "too fast" and am allowing the maps to redraw, etc. before doing more.

          Peace,
          Scotty

          I know a no one to that it arrives (60C), I think that it is about bad
          electric contacts, to see the holding of batteries or it is inside that
          there is the defect.
          Maxime

        • mopman35
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9, 2004
            --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "mopman35"
            <mopman35@y...> wrote:

            I would like to thanks all my gps fellow guys and girls for the fast
            replies onto my previous msg,
            Thanks you veru much,to you all.