legend"C" vs map60c?

  • canuguy
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
      I like the size (and price) of the new Legend C. The map 60C seems
      to haveno other "EXTRA" features other than the extra memory (good)
      and larger size(bad), and the different antenna (quad helix vs.
      patch). Is it worth the extra $ to go witht the map 60C?
      I doubt if the memory would be a big factor since I live in rural New
      Brunswick Canada and tend to stick around the province. I do worry
      about reports of poor etrex patch antennas.
      Uses of the GPS will be VARIED, and in this order:
      1) On handlebar of my ATV (that I drive agressively) for hunting,
      fishing, exploring, etc. (I've had an older GPSII+ on the bike for 2
      years with no problem).
      2) In my hand for geocaching/hunting. Often under lots of dense
      tree cover for both.
      3) On dash of my car for speedometer (speedometer broken:-
      ),geocaching and perhaps autorouting when I (RARELY) go to a major
      city in other provinces/states. I'd buy cd of maps
      in year or 2.
      4) In a case or around neck for occasional canoeing (couple times a
      year).

      I'd prefer to have responses carbon copied to my email address
      (*remove the "nospam")
      Thank you,
      NOSPAMcarmonly@...
    • Harlan Stockman
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "canuguy"
        <carmonly@n...> wrote:
        > 4) In a case or around neck for occasional canoeing (couple times a

        With a patch antenna, you may have a difficult time keeping it
        horizontal "around you neck," unless you plan to turn it on only
        ocassionally to check position.

        > I'd prefer to have responses carbon copied to my email address
        > (*remove the "nospam")
        > Thank you,
        > NOSPAMcarmonly@N...

        We can't see your full e-mail address.
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
          I havn't compared them, so take this with a grain of salt... The quad
          helix antenae seems pretty good. I've even heard it beeping the correct
          location inside my pocket when driving the car. However if you intend to
          mount it on the dashboard, you probably don't need it that much. And if
          you're prepared to hold the unit horizontal while caching/hunting, I
          suspect you don't need it either. I think if I were you I'd decide on
          memory. If you truely don't need the memory, go with the Legend. It's
          sooo nice and small. If you think you really may need the memory, use
          the antenae as an extra excuse to go with the 60C.

          canuguy wrote:

          >I like the size (and price) of the new Legend C. The map 60C seems
          >to haveno other "EXTRA" features other than the extra memory (good)
          >and larger size(bad), and the different antenna (quad helix vs.
          >patch). Is it worth the extra $ to go witht the map 60C?
          >I doubt if the memory would be a big factor since I live in rural New
          >Brunswick Canada and tend to stick around the province. I do worry
          >about reports of poor etrex patch antennas.
          >Uses of the GPS will be VARIED, and in this order:
          >1) On handlebar of my ATV (that I drive agressively) for hunting,
          >fishing, exploring, etc. (I've had an older GPSII+ on the bike for 2
          >years with no problem).
          >2) In my hand for geocaching/hunting. Often under lots of dense
          >tree cover for both.
          >3) On dash of my car for speedometer (speedometer broken:-
          >),geocaching and perhaps autorouting when I (RARELY) go to a major
          >city in other provinces/states. I'd buy cd of maps
          >in year or 2.
          >4) In a case or around neck for occasional canoeing (couple times a
          >year).
          >
          >I'd prefer to have responses carbon copied to my email address
          >(*remove the "nospam")
          >Thank you,
          >NOSPAMcarmonly@...
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
            Harlan Stockman wrote:

            >--- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "canuguy"
            ><carmonly@n...> wrote:
            >

            >>4) In a case or around neck for occasional canoeing (couple times a
            >>

            >With a patch antenna, you may have a difficult time keeping it
            >horizontal "around you neck," unless you plan to turn it on only
            >ocassionally to check position.

            True, although with the bigger 60C, you may not _want_ it hanging around
            your neck.
          • cbjesseenh
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
              I have the Legend (not C) and 60CS. The larger screen on the 60CS
              makes a difference in auto, as a quick glance works. Also, depending
              on your age and eyesight, the larger screen helps if approaching
              bifocals. The 60CS antenna picks up better in all circumstances vs
              my Legend, or even the iQue3600 I use.
              BRET
            • Giovanni Bertani
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
                Is anyone been able to test the new Quest?

                Thanks

                Giovanni
              • Harlan Stockman
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
                  --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, Chris <chris@t...> wrote:
                  > Harlan Stockman wrote:
                  [...]
                  > >With a patch antenna, you may have a difficult time keeping it
                  > >horizontal "around you neck," unless you plan to turn it on only
                  > >ocassionally to check position.
                  > >

                  > True, although with the bigger 60C, you may not _want_ it hanging
                  around
                  > your neck.

                  I'm not making a case for either GPS. I don't think I'd want
                  anything hanging around my neck while canoeing, unless the route were
                  rather sedate.
                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
                    Harlan Stockman wrote:

                    >True, although with the bigger 60C, you may not _want_ it hanging
                    >

                    >around
                    >

                    >>your neck.
                    >>

                    >I'm not making a case for either GPS. I don't think I'd want
                    >anything hanging around my neck while canoeing, unless the route were
                    >rather sedate.

                    No problem. I actually do hang my 76C around my neck quite often, and it
                    is ok.