Re: [GapAntennas] Titan DX Roof Installation? Was: Voyager Install Conundrum

  • David Clark
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
      Hi Dave,

      The Titan is a very fine antenna that avoids wire radials and of course offers more choices of available HF bands. The use of guys is always CHEAP insurance against structural failure.

      I don't recommend the use of tripods on a roof because of roof damage. The decking under the shingles and the trusses (or rafters) used in modern construction are often "just enough to get by". Adding bolts through the shingles is a potential LEAK.

      One alternative is a telescoping mast and a wall bracket. Masts are available in 20, 30, 40 and 50 foot choices from Rohn Dealers. I prefer the H50 (50'). I use this model even when only going up to only 25'-30' in conjunction with the house bracket system often without mast guys. If being used at greater heights, this mast must be guyed. I have anchored these to the side walls just below the roof. Just be sure to attach these wall anchor devices to something structural such as framing. Minimal guying of the Titan using the black guy rope (as sold by GAP) atop such a telescoping mast should result in a stable antenna.

      Best Regards,
      David Clark, Ai2A
      Greenwood, IN 46143

      "Dave Tipton, W3DMT" <drdavedfw@...> wrote:
      Ok, so I ended up buying a Titan DX at the last minute. I set out to
      buy a challenger, I swear! But, one of my good friends, whom is one
      of the top DX'ers and Contesters in North Texas explained to me, that
      the Titan would more than adequately meet every need I had for a
      vertical, and that I'd be happier having all the bands in one stick,
      plus with no radials, mounting it somewhere other than the ground
      suddenly becomes a snap.

      So, I picked up a Titan DX and a 200 Foot Guy kit. (Going to most
      likely run one set of guys)

      On Eham, the photo shows the vertical mounted on a Roof Mounted Tripod
      of the cheap Radio Shack ilk. Is this really a safe way to mount this
      if I lasso the antenna with some guys?

      Dave

    • Dave Tipton
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
        Well.. Here's what I did.

        I assembled the titan, left it lying on the ground without the counterpoise.

        I got one of my spare (yes I keep spares) 40 foot masts, and grabbed a 5
        gallon bucket and buried it about 4 inches at the base, to keep it from
        slipping around. Cut a cardboard form the size of the OD of the bottom mast
        section, and filled it full of cement. Let it set up for about 3 hours, and
        then put the mast into it and bracketed that to my 12 x 20 shed by running 2
        - 2x4's across the gable and affixing that to the shed with 10 screws on
        each side. (Plenty of bite. I at 240lbs can swing from it.) The top of
        the mast had to be extended about 8 feet total, to get 3 feet of it above
        the roof line. I don't plan to raise it any higher, and the windload on the
        mast is minimum in it's current configuration. The reason for selecting the
        shed, over the house, was simple. I already have 2 push up masts with guy
        wires and what not up against the house, and when I load up the amplifier
        and put 800 watts into the antennas close to the house, let's just say that
        my mother in law (Who is Mexican and happens to live here) thinks that God
        is talking to her through the TV and he keeps talking about Whiskey and
        Dancing in the delta. (Whiskey Five Delta Mike Tango) Putting it next to
        the out building moves the antenna 50 feet away from her room.

        Later tonight, I'll raise the antenna up to the top of that mast, and pop it
        on. I will then affix the counterpoise to it, and drop 4 guys (from the 200
        Foot Guy kit I purchased of Gap branding) and that will be it. Since the
        antenna will already be vertical, I think this will end up being a one man
        job. I had a helper, but after lugging cement, and 100 degree heat all day,
        he crapped out on me. (Can't say as I blame him) I went through three
        shirts today myself. (Soaked through with sweat)

        We got a lot done, but it'll probably be tomorrow before we actually fire it
        up.

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
          Hi Dave,

          Great job on the installation. About the only tip from here on is to be ready to raise and lower the Titan a few times to adjust SWR if needed. I use an older AEA HF SWR Analyst handheld graphic device to check and adjust my SWR on all my HF antennas as a convenience. Low power on the transmitter/transceiver with an SWR bridge of course does the same thing.

          I have found that the GAP products are very close to the stated frequency design targets. (My MFJ1798 however needed LOTS of changes to make it resonate in the ham bands!). I feel that my experience with the GAP products reflects well on their efforts.

          Again, best of luck and I wish you many years of enjoyable operation using your GAP Titan! Please post your results when you have time.

          73,
          David Clark Ai2A
          Greenwood, IN 46143

          wrote:
          Ok, so I ended up buying a Titan DX at the last minute. I set out to
          buy a challenger, I swear! But, one of my good friends, whom is one
          of the top DX'ers and Contesters in North Texas explained to me, that
          the Titan would more than adequately meet every need I had for a
          vertical, and that I'd be happier having all the bands in one stick,
          plus with no radials, mounting it somewhere other than the ground
          suddenly becomes a snap.

          So, I picked up a Titan DX and a 200 Foot Guy kit. (Going to most
          likely run one set of guys)

          On Eham, the photo shows the vertical mounted on a Roof Mounted Tripod
          of the cheap Radio Shack ilk. Is this really a safe way to mount this
          if I lasso the antenna with some guys?

          Dave

        • Dave Tipton, W3DMT
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2006
            If anyone would like to see the installation saga, please check out
            http://www.lodave.org/HamShack/Titan/titandx.html

            We documented it kind of "Step by Step" covering the big
            highlights. we got it up in the air this morning and mounted, then
            made a few good contacts and then I went and collapsed for a 2 hour
            nap.