Wind Noise

  • Mike Huizenga
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28 7:55 AM
      Greetings to all the Gap Antenna contributors:

      I'm considering a Gap Titan DX for my small QTH

      <http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43\
      148975,d.b2I&biw=1280&bih=664&q=2028+sudbury+lane,+naperville,+il&um=1&i\
      e=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x880ef79782410ea7:0x315d3ab0d44709da,2028+Sudbury+St,\
      +Naperville,+IL+60564&gl=us&sa=X&ei=Mn0vUZCYGqzo2gW9oYGYCw&ved=0CC0Q8gEw\

      I live in the outer burbs of Chicago and I don't have much of a
      yard nor any trees of significance -- thus my interest in the Titan.
      Because I have such a small lot, I'm thinking of putting it on the NE
      corner of my 2 story house so that the counterpoise is no lower than 3
      feet above the pitched roof (per Richard at Gap). This would put the
      base about 25' above ground level and right above the master bedroom.

      QUESTION: How much wind noise do any of the Gap antennas produce during an average nightime breeze of ~10 mph. I'm concerned that this antenna will start playing a Jethro Tull riff
      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnui4-fQhtQ>

      or maybe Scotland the Brave World
      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GkJM5Upfusc>
      while we are all trying to get to sleep.

      What is your experience with wind noise and your antenna? How strong does the wind have to get before you start to hear something? Do you guy your antenna and do the guy lines cause noise? Does the aluminum mast creak when it flexes in the wind?

      Thanks!

      Mike W9MIC

    • Roy Westra
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
        Hello Mike,

        I live in Stockton near the Delta and we have 10 mph winds here all the
        time, doesn't seem to affect it, make sure you guy it well, four ways is
        best. I have mine mounted on a 20 foot pole (pics on QRZ) and it works
        fine. They usually don't recommend over 20 feet because it will affect the
        angle of radiation.

        73

        --
        Roy
        AA6QQ

        No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large

      • Mike Huizenga
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
          Roy,

          Thanks for the feedback. I see your pictures on QRZ and I'm thinking of a similar setup. I understand about the angle of radiation problem, but after speaking with Richard at Gap about my constraints he thought a 25' pole to get over the roofline was my best option. What kind of pole are you using? Aluminum? Galvanized steel? Do you guy your antenna? If so, are you using dacron, kevlar or something else?

          BTW, we have good friends in Stockton -- real nice place to live.

          Thanks again,

          Mike
          W9MIC

          --- In GapAntennas@yahoogroups.com, Roy Westra <rpwestra@...> wrote:

          > Hello Mike,
          >
          > I live in Stockton near the Delta and we have 10 mph winds here all the
          > time, doesn't seem to affect it, make sure you guy it well, four ways is
          > best. I have mine mounted on a 20 foot pole (pics on QRZ) and it works
          > fine. They usually don't recommend over 20 feet because it will affect the
          > angle of radiation.
          >
          > 73
          >
          > --
          > Roy
          > AA6QQ
          >

          > No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large
          > number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

        • David Cook
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
            Didn't here a whisper during Sandy.

            David