Re: [GapAntennas] Challer Installation

  • Dave Cole
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 20, 2013
      Hi,

      The radials are not ground radials, but caps for tuning, so you should
      not change from the recommended number or length, with out testing.
      --
      73's and Thanks,
      Dave

      On Wed, 2013-02-20 at 14:37 -0600, Bill Grimwood wrote:

      > I am fixing to install my Challenger. Would there be any benefit to running
      > more than three ground radials?
      >

      > Bill
      >

      > W4WEG

    • ClarenceC
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 21, 2013
        Chris

        Several years ago I was out checking the antenna when I discovered that two of my counterpoise wires had come loose, probably for "some time". Didn't even notice it! Always wondered what would have happened if they'd all come loose.

        73 Doc WB0FDJ

        --- In GapAntennas@yahoogroups.com, "cwgeib@..." <cwgeib@...> wrote:

        > Bill,
        >
        > From my conversation with folks at GAP, the radials are actually not ground radials but are part of the 40 meter tuning. You can run the three as recommended or two like I have because of issues with mine cut by the yard keepers.
        >
        > Chris W8CWG
        >

        > My iPhone eats Blackberries!
        >
        > On Feb 20, 2013, at 3:37 PM, "Bill Grimwood" <Bill@...> wrote:
        >

        > > I am fixing to install my Challenger. Would there be any benefit to running
        > > more than three ground radials?
        > >
        > > Bill
        > >
        > > W4WEG

      • kingmike2you
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 14, 2013
          I concur with Chris. The three 25 foot radial wires, are actually not "Radials" in the sense that most think of, they are NOT USED as a Ground Plane. These wires are only used on the 40 Meter Band, and add length to the antenna on that band only, they do not serve as a ground plane.

          Gap keeps their antenna operation as a closely guarded secret. Some people are put off by this, thinking that they deserve to know exactly how the Gaps do what they do. I would say to this, if you buy a bottle of Coke, should you then be able to demand to know their carefully guarded recipe?

          I suspect that since this antenna has about 35 or 40 feet of coax living inside of it, perhaps this has something to do with how this antenna works without ground radials. Perhaps all that coax serves as a ground plane somehow. I'll bet my friend Clarence can tell you, he knows more about these antennas than any other person I have spoken with, excepting the people at Gap themselves.

          When I've talked with Richard and Chris at the Orlando Hamcation and also Gap Tech Support, they have always been incredibly helpful, do not hesitate to give them a call, they will be eager to help you. I was once referred by them to read the U.S. Patent they hold on a Government website, which discloses some information on the antenna, but still will not give away exactly how these work.

          I know of no other trapless design vertical which does not use Radials as a Ground Plane, and, therefore, those antennas would benefit from additional radial wires, something which is not true of the Gap. Could it be all that coax inside the antenna has something to do with it. As far as I know, no other vertical uses this scheme. Please let me know if I am wrong about this.

          Best regards,

          Michael
          KM2U
          That's King Mike 2 You!

          --- In GapAntennas@yahoogroups.com, "cwgeib@..." <cwgeib@...> wrote:

          > Bill,
          >
          > From my conversation with folks at GAP, the radials are actually not ground radials but are part of the 40 meter tuning. You can run the three as recommended or two like I have because of issues with mine cut by the yard keepers.
          >
          > Chris W8CWG
          >

          > My iPhone eats Blackberries!
          >
          > On Feb 20, 2013, at 3:37 PM, "Bill Grimwood" <Bill@...> wrote:
          >

          > > I am fixing to install my Challenger. Would there be any benefit to running
          > > more than three ground radials?
          > >
          > > Bill
          > >
          > > W4WEG

        • desloan_1999
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 14, 2013
            Also I think that Gap is the only commercial dipole that is orientated
            vertically.

            Thanks,
            Dave Sloan N0EOP
            EXAMS Chair Dayton Hamvention ® 2013
            c 765-969-2212

            --- In _GapAntennas@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:GapAntennas@yahoogroups.com) ,
            "cwgeib@..." <cwgeib@...> wrote:

            > Bill,
            >
            > From my conversation with folks at GAP, the radials are actually not
            ground radials but are part of the 40 meter tuning. You can run the three as
            recommended or two like I have because of issues with mine cut by the yard
            keepers.

            > Chris W8CWG
            >

            > My iPhone eats Blackberries!
            >
            > On Feb 20, 2013, at 3:37 PM, "Bill Grimwood" <Bill@...> wrote:
            >

            > > I am fixing to install my Challenger. Would there be any benefit to
            running
            > > more than three ground radials?
            > >
            > > Bill
            > >
            > > W4WEG

          • Dennis Mingear
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 15, 2013
              MFJ makes several vertical dipoles. I have the mfj-1796, it's designed to work on 40 through 2 meters. It's short on 40 meters so the bandwidth is limited on that band, but it pretty much covers all the rest of the bands without any problems.

              I'm getting a Gap Challenger to evaluate in a couple of weeks, and I'm looking forward to installing and using it for a while.

              Dennis ... AI6R