Performance book

  • Wendell
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2004
      Has anyone bought or read this book sold by Champion Radio? Wendell

      HF VERTICAL PERFORMANCE - TEST METHODS & RESULTS
      N�AX and K7LXC are at it again - this time it's HF multiband verticals. Now you can read an unbiased report on how they really performed. Antennas tested include the Cushcraft R8, Butternut HF6V, MFJ 1798, Force 12 ZR-3 and V-3, Diamond CP-6, Hustler 6BTV and Gap Titan. It's 64 pages of protocol, data sets and summaries. Presented at the 2000 Dayton Hamvention. $17.00
      QUANTITY TO ORDER:

    • n3hkn
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2004
        Have had it for about 3 years. Seems accurate and reasonable in its
        conclusions. Worth the money to see where your favorite antenna
        stands in the mix.
        Dick N3HKN

        --- In GapAntennas@yahoogroups.com, "Wendell" <ncic_ok@g...> wrote:
        > Has anyone bought or read this book sold by Champion Radio? Wendell
        >
        > HF VERTICAL PERFORMANCE - TEST METHODS & RESULTS
        > NØAX and K7LXC are at it again - this time it's HF multiband
        verticals. Now you can read an unbiased report on how they really
        performed. Antennas tested include the Cushcraft R8, Butternut HF6V,
        MFJ 1798, Force 12 ZR-3 and V-3, Diamond CP-6, Hustler 6BTV and Gap
        Titan. It's 64 pages of protocol, data sets and summaries. Presented
        at the 2000 Dayton Hamvention. $17.00
        > QUANTITY TO ORDER:

      • NF6E
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2004
          Hey Dick,

          Any chance you could let us know what the book says about the GAP
          Titan? Is there a raiting scale or a chart or something like that?

          Inquiring minds want to know.

          Thanks,
          Jason NF6E

          --- In GapAntennas@yahoogroups.com, "n3hkn" <n3hkn@y...> wrote:
          > Have had it for about 3 years. Seems accurate and reasonable in its
          > conclusions. Worth the money to see where your favorite antenna
          > stands in the mix.
          > Dick N3HKN
          >
          > --- In GapAntennas@yahoogroups.com, "Wendell" <ncic_ok@g...> wrote:
          > > Has anyone bought or read this book sold by Champion Radio?
          Wendell

          > > HF VERTICAL PERFORMANCE - TEST METHODS & RESULTS
          > > NØAX and K7LXC are at it again - this time it's HF multiband
          > verticals. Now you can read an unbiased report on how they really
          > performed. Antennas tested include the Cushcraft R8, Butternut
          HF6V,
          > MFJ 1798, Force 12 ZR-3 and V-3, Diamond CP-6, Hustler 6BTV and Gap
          > Titan. It's 64 pages of protocol, data sets and summaries.
          Presented
          > at the 2000 Dayton Hamvention. $17.00
          > > QUANTITY TO ORDER:

        • Wendell
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2004
            I second that request Dick, it would be nice to know. Wendell

            Any chance you could let us know what the book says about the GAP
            Titan? Is there a raiting scale or a chart or something like that?

            Inquiring minds want to know.

            Thanks,
            Jason NF6E

            --- In GapAntennas@yahoogroups.com, "n3hkn" <n3hkn@y...> wrote:
            > Have had it for about 3 years. Seems accurate and reasonable in its
            > conclusions. Worth the money to see where your favorite antenna
            > stands in the mix.
            > Dick N3HKN
            >
            > --- In GapAntennas@yahoogroups.com, "Wendell" <ncic_ok@g...> wrote:
            > > Has anyone bought or read this book sold by Champion Radio?
            Wendell

            > > HF VERTICAL PERFORMANCE - TEST METHODS & RESULTS
            > > NØAX and K7LXC are at it again - this time it's HF multiband
            > verticals. Now you can read an unbiased report on how they really
            > performed. Antennas tested include the Cushcraft R8, Butternut
            HF6V,
            > MFJ 1798, Force 12 ZR-3 and V-3, Diamond CP-6, Hustler 6BTV and Gap
            > Titan. It's 64 pages of protocol, data sets and summaries.
            Presented
            > at the 2000 Dayton Hamvention. $17.00
            > > QUANTITY TO ORDER:

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • n3hkn
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2004
              The Titan stacks up against the Hustler and Butternut with some bands
              slightly better and other slightly worse. None of which would be
              noticeable. Where it has a problem is on 80 meters - well known.
              Poor "gain" there. Classic case of a resonate antenna that has
              insufficient aluminium exposed to the signals. The other band is 10
              meters where it falls below the other antennas. No explanation is
              given for the 10m poor performance. Once again the resonance we see
              may be a resonance of a small amount of aluminium. Who knows which of
              the rods is actually in-play at any specific frequency. The Cushcraft
              vertical is also in the mix but it is not an 80 meter antenna. Other
              stuff such as MFJ and Force-12 are also there but not as good for all
              band coverage, being godd on only a few bands.

              $17.00 is not a large amount to spend before investing over $300 so
              that you are informed consumer. Post purchase it is a good investment
              to codify your purchase or help you to decide to move to something
              else.

              I have a Challenger and I see no reason to change. Three radials is
              no burden. My townhouse lot is 25 x 50 ft. If I were to change the
              Hustler 6BTV seems the best bargain. For now the GAP and a 17M attic
              dipole serve me well.

              I have just purchased a new type of radio that uses a PC for a very
              extensive set of DSP functions. The RF section is based on a thing
              called a Tayloe detector which is the basis of a direct conversion
              receiver. These receivers usually suffer from being simple double
              sideband receivers. However, this detector creates phase shifted
              outputs that allow the opposite sideband to be phased out (50db
              down). So you go "direct" from RF (all band) to audio - no double or
              triple conversions $$ needed. The sound is much better than typical
              high audio distortion rigs. Once at audio the signal is extensively
              processed by your PC with a wide variety of DSP functions. I can
              create ANY filter without spending $150 per filter. The filters
              preceed the AGC function so that NO strong signal that is more than a
              few hz from the target has any effect on reception. A 25hz filter
              gives code oscillator sounding CW. Or, a 6khz filter gives nice SW
              listening especially with the sync AM detection. On xmit you can
              tailor the audio to any thing you desire. The bottom line is that
              once your GAP delivers a signal to the shack, this radio does not
              mutilate it or your pocketbook. http://www.flex-radio.com/ .

              Dick N3HKN

              > I second that request Dick, it would be nice to know. Wendell

            • Wendell
              Message 6 of 8 , May 4, 2004
                Thanks Dick, Wendell

                The Titan stacks up against the Hustler and Butternut with some bands
                slightly better and other slightly worse. None of which would be
                noticeable. Where it has a problem is on 80 meters - well known.
                Poor "gain" there. Classic case of a resonate antenna that has
                insufficient aluminium exposed to the signals. The other band is 10
                meters where it falls below the other antennas. No explanation is
                given for the 10m poor performance. Once again the resonance we see
                may be a resonance of a small amount of aluminium. Who knows which of
                the rods is actually in-play at any specific frequency. The Cushcraft
                vertical is also in the mix but it is not an 80 meter antenna. Other
                stuff such as MFJ and Force-12 are also there but not as good for all
                band coverage, being godd on only a few bands.

                $17.00 is not a large amount to spend before investing over $300 so
                that you are informed consumer. Post purchase it is a good investment
                to codify your purchase or help you to decide to move to something
                else.

                I have a Challenger and I see no reason to change. Three radials is
                no burden. My townhouse lot is 25 x 50 ft. If I were to change the
                Hustler 6BTV seems the best bargain. For now the GAP and a 17M attic
                dipole serve me well.

                I have just purchased a new type of radio that uses a PC for a very
                extensive set of DSP functions. The RF section is based on a thing
                called a Tayloe detector which is the basis of a direct conversion
                receiver. These receivers usually suffer from being simple double
                sideband receivers. However, this detector creates phase shifted
                outputs that allow the opposite sideband to be phased out (50db
                down). So you go "direct" from RF (all band) to audio - no double or
                triple conversions $$ needed. The sound is much better than typical
                high audio distortion rigs. Once at audio the signal is extensively
                processed by your PC with a wide variety of DSP functions. I can
                create ANY filter without spending $150 per filter. The filters
                preceed the AGC function so that NO strong signal that is more than a
                few hz from the target has any effect on reception. A 25hz filter
                gives code oscillator sounding CW. Or, a 6khz filter gives nice SW
                listening especially with the sync AM detection. On xmit you can
                tailor the audio to any thing you desire. The bottom line is that
                once your GAP delivers a signal to the shack, this radio does not
                mutilate it or your pocketbook. http://www.flex-radio.com/ .

                Dick N3HKN

                > I second that request Dick, it would be nice to know. Wendell

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Wendell Garrett
                Message 7 of 8 , May 4, 2004
                  Wonder how it would stack up against the Steppir Big IR Vertical? I
                  think I may try that one down the road. Wendell

                • n3hkn
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 5, 2004
                    The answer to that question is easy:

                    The tests were all run against full sized verticals with a proper
                    radial pattern. The report will give you numbers on the the reference
                    full sized verticals. Since the BigIR is a full sized vertical 1/4
                    wave, or 5/8 wave on some, the answer to your question simply lies in
                    the report. Some of the commercial antennas did come close on some
                    bands but none can compete with a full sized vertical on all design
                    bands.

                    Dick

                    --- In GapAntennas@yahoogroups.com, "Wendell Garrett" <ncic_ok@g...>