Re: [GapAntennas] FS: GAP Voyager [universal-radio.com]

  • Butch Rollins
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2009
      Name is Butch, been sometimes since I have been on this mail box, thinking as I may have mention sometime ago buying a Titan, think I would rather have another one, but don't want to fool with the radials. I have six foot high chain fence, guess I should mount on wood utility building? Ground is mostly rock, I moved from Delaware to Del Rio, TX. No trees around to put up home brews dipoles, guess i am stuck with vertical, never used one for HF. Thanks for any advise. In the log books as Herschel , NF3F.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2009
        A friend has a GAP Titan mounted on his garage roof. It works just fine
        there. My experience is with a ground mounted Titan. Not so hot.... My
        fault. Too much metal surrounding and in the yard. A metal screened
        porch, wire and chain link fencing as well as numerous metal bird feeder
        and hanging plant supports. I'm going to try the Titan on the roof as
        soon as the weather is more friendly here in N. IL...

        Just my .02 worth...
        73,
        John, W9JGO

        Butch Rollins wrote:

        > Name is Butch, been sometimes since I have been on this mail box,
        > thinking as I may have mention sometime ago buying a Titan, think I
        > would rather have another one, but don't want to fool with the
        > radials. I have six foot high chain fence, guess I should mount on
        > wood utility building? Ground is mostly rock, I moved from Delaware to
        > Del Rio, TX. No trees around to put up home brews dipoles, guess i am
        > stuck with vertical, never used one for HF. Thanks for any advise. In
        > the log books as Herschel , NF3F.
        >
        > .

      • Dave Cole
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2009
          Hi,

          I have a Challenger, love the antenna, however I have to have a tuner for
          40. It is resonant at 6.x MHz, not 7.x MHz... Flat everywhere else... Any
          ideas as to why?

          Thanks,
          Dave
          NK7Z
        • Lido Pasquesi
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
            Try to cut the radials or move the cable from ground.
            I5wnn Lido
            > I have a Challenger, love the antenna, however I have to have a tuner for
            > 40. It is resonant at 6.x MHz, not 7.x MHz... Flat everywhere else...
            > Any
            > ideas as to why?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Dave
            > NK7Z

          • Warren Moxley
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
              I had this same problem. I called Gap. They told me to ground the connector that connects the coax from the radio to the Gap antenna. I did this and it worked. My Gap now is much flatter on 40. It really solved my problem. I have not idea why it worked. I just used a a hose clamp to ground the connector to the antenna pole. Gap says it is the instructions, but I missed it.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
                Thanks to both of you for the info!!!

                I have a Challenger, love the antenna, however I have to have a tuner for
                40.  It is resonant at 6.x MHz, not 7.x MHz...  Flat everywhere else...  Any
                ideas as to why?

                Thanks,
                Dave
                NK7Z

                17:54:00
              • Butch Rollins
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
                  Thanks John for the information... I have a 10x12 shack in the yard which I could mount the antenna, although I think I would rather have the challenger, but still would have to mount it on the radio shack, not sure how I would handle the three radials??? think they're twenty five feet long... Guess I could slope them down like guy wires, not sure if they could also be used as guys? Thanks again for the report 73's/

                  ________________________________

                  Butch Rollins wrote:

                  > Name is Butch, been sometimes since I have been on this mail box,
                  > thinking as I may have mention sometime ago buying a Titan, think I
                  > would rather have another one, but don't want to fool with the
                  > radials. I have six foot high chain fence, guess I should mount on
                  > wood utility building? Ground is mostly rock, I moved from Delaware to
                  > Del Rio, TX. No trees around to put up home brews dipoles, guess i am
                  > stuck with vertical, never used one for HF. Thanks for any advise. In
                  > the log books as Herschel , NF3F.
                  >
                  > .

                • Brian Hall
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2009
                    I have been in a similar situation in the past. My solution at the time was to attach a 10 ft TV antenna mast (Radio Shack sells them) to a vent pipe near the peak of my roof, and install an Alpha Delta DX-EE 40-10 dipole in an inverted-v configuration with the antenna profile in-line with the roof peak. I was very pleased with the performance and appearance (It was somewhat stealthy, so no one complained).

                    I now have a GAP Eagle and I would say the performance is comparable, but not noticably better than the dipole.

                    Remember....any antenna is better than no antenna.

                    73,
                    Brian AC7NA