GAP Gets You Off Of The Ground

  • n3hkn
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
      It is interesting seeing the various claims for performance of a
      variety of vertical antennas. I happened to take a close look at one
      of the multi-band trapped verticals and was struck by the fact that
      the first trap from the bottom was the 10 meter trap. This means that
      the 10 meter "vertical" is only a short 7ft rod setting on the
      ground. The remainder of the antenna sets above it and does nothing
      except to provide capacitive loading (top hat). Thus the first 2ft,
      which does most of the radiating) sets on the ground (insulated from
      it) with a few radials actually representing the ground (other half
      of the dipole) in a poor fashion.

      The GAP, as pointed out in their adverts, gets the point of radiation
      above the ground by several feet and creates its own "other half of
      the dipole" with no reliance on lossy low wire count radial screens.
      I have also seen an article in a recent QST that showed that a
      vertical dipole is far superior to a traditional ground mounted
      vertical.

      I was thinking of trying one of the ground mounted verticals but
      after seeing the obvious, I would not waste my money.

      Dick N3HKN
    • michael
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2004
        Dick :

        Very well put!

        The key point that lead me to buying a GAP years
        ago was as you stated broadband coverage with the lack of traps and
        "broadband toroidal
        matching transformers". The was important to me as 95% of my operating
        is QRP.
        While the performance of any vertical is dependent on ground
        conductivity out to several
        wavelengths, a vertical dipole is less impacted by poor conductivity in
        the near field of the
        antenna than is a vertical monopole which relies on a ground mounted
        radial system.

        I am still a bit amazed at some of the GAP reviews on eHam.
        I find it interesting that folks either love the GAP antennas or can't
        make them work. I have attributed
        the majority of the latter to those folks who can't, don't or won't
        follow instructions.

        IMHO the GAP products offer very good multi-band performance with a
        single run
        of coax. I have had a Challenger up since 1999 and it has survived
        high-winds and
        a number of ice storms with no issues and easily fits in my
        postage-stamp sized
        urban back yard without causing too much grief to my neighbors.

        We plan to build a cottage in a few years and I will have lots of big
        trees for antenna
        supports but you can bet that the first antenna that goes up will be a
        GAP Titan.

        Michael VE3WMB