3210RE: [GapAntennas] Re: Hello and help mounting a 40m Mono-GAP

  • Michael Kramer
    Jul 24, 2014
      From what I was told, the counterpoise wires do not have to be 120 degrees apart - minimally there should be a 3' length between the ends of the wires.  And they should not cross the coax.  On my 20M I have this setup and it seems to be working - in a short period of time (3 Weeks) I have worked 20+ countries and through some serious pile ups.  I am actually very impressed by the antenna.  It is sitting next to a tree trunk and its height is going through its branches to hide it from the world.

      On my 17M, I do not have the luxury of the 3' distance but it has not seemed to have dampened my getting out.  Again, numerous DX contacts all with excellent siganl reports.  I will be re-doing the counterpoises on the 17M and will see if it makes a difference or not.

      To: GapAntennas@yahoogroups.com
      From: GapAntennas@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 06:46:11 -0700
      Subject: RE: [GapAntennas] Re: Hello and help mounting a 40m Mono-GAP

      MAK

      You read my mind.
      I was going to ask the group about the coax since GAP specifies that it is 1/2 wavelength.
      That is good info.at is is only for phasing.

      Another question concerns the positioning of the coax and the counterpoise wires.
      Can the coax be close to one of the counterpoise wires or do they need to be separated?

      For example:
      1 counterpoise goes east
      1 counterpoise goes west
      1 counterpoise goes north

      Does the coax have to go south so that it does not interfere with the fields from the counterpoises?

      The whole idea of ground mounting the antenna is just flying in the face of 40+ years of
      hearing "Higher is better".

      73, Rich

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic