Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re: I'm a new member

    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 1, 2006
      Roman wrote:

      > Closer to heaven!

      Right...and the cemetery was typically located on ground that was even
      higher up the hill.

      > Laurence Krupnak wrote:
      >

      > > Yes, on the hill. For some reason our churches were always located
      > > on the high ground...even in the villages in the Old Country.
    • ms
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 1, 2006
        Couldn't find Marta Kitchka. My thought was that if
        her parents were Vanik, why wasn't she Vanik?
        Meaning, the Marta Vanik on the manifest would be
        Marta Kitchka.

        Waiting for word from Steph, because if Marta's
        parents were Vanik, how did her 'maiden' name become
        Kitzcka? Perhaps here maiden name was Vanik, she
        married Kitzcka and she was 'nee' Kitzcka upon
        marriage to Zolyak.

        Stephanne, have you found it already? Your
        knowledgebase is so wide, I believe the nudge to look
        under 'sounds like' surname may be all you need to
        locate Marta, if she is not Marta Vanik.

        Plus, Lavrentiy, you are an Ellis Island whiz. Don't
        let George Mason throw you off.

        The other scenario is that Marta Kitchka did not come
        into the US through Ellis Island.

        Mary

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 1, 2006
          Hello Mary,

          ms wrote:

          > Couldn't find Marta Kitchka.

          Did you try Kitczka or Kotczka?

          > My thought was that if
          > her parents were Vanik, why wasn't she Vanik?
          > Meaning, the Marta Vanik on the manifest would be
          > Marta Kitchka. Waiting for word from Steph, because if Marta's
          > parents were Vanik, how did her 'maiden' name become
          > Kitzcka? Perhaps here maiden name was Vanik, she
          > married Kitzcka and she was 'nee' Kitzcka upon
          > marriage to Zolyak.

          Yes, Stephanne's presentation was confusing.

          > Stephanne, have you found it already? Your
          > knowledgebase is so wide, I believe the nudge to look
          > under 'sounds like' surname may be all you need to
          > locate Marta, if she is not Marta Vanik.
          >
          > Plus, Lavrentiy, you are an Ellis Island whiz. Don't
          > let George Mason throw you off.

          The clock reached midnight for Cindarella.

          > The other scenario is that Marta Kitchka did not come
          > into the US through Ellis Island.

          Well, you did enough already. If Stephanne needs more help maybe she
          will pay for your service...what's your billing rate?

          > Mary

          > --- Laurence Krupnak <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Mary,
          > >
          > > You are an Ellis Island birddog!!
          > >
          > > Can you help Stephanne find her Kitczka
          > > immigrant? I won't do
          > > because I know it's a lot of work.
          > >
          > > ______
          > >
          > > Lavrentiy
        • ms
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 1, 2006
            Hello Lavrentiy,

            Could be Martha was already married to Steve when she
            immigrated. 1920 Census indicates both immigrated in
            1899 and were Austrian Slovak; both naturalized in
            1901, so procuring naturalization records will have
            answers. All children born in PA.

            I sort of liked Marya Zolak who went to her husband
            Istvan in Pittsburgh with her son Istvan, age 7. Age
            of son Steve and Martha’s son Steven in 1920 census
            was 6 and he was born in PA. However, if anyone is
            looking for this couple, here they are:

            http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?order_num=1718998504&MID=11531442640054779232&order_num=1718998504&ORDER_ID=1500293721&pID=104569060046&

            First Name: Marya Last Name: Zolak Ethnicity:
            Ruthenian, Hungary
            Last Place of Residence: Czigelka, Hungary Date of
            Arrival: Jul 21, 1913 Age at Arrival: 26y Gender:
            F Marital Status: M Ship of Travel: Prinz
            Friedrich Wilhelm Port of Departure: Bremen Manifest
            Line Number: 0027

            http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?MID=11531442640054779232&order_num=1718998504&ORDER_ID=1500293721&pID=605007130007&

            Istvan Zvolak Jun 11, 1901
            First Name: Istvan Last Name: Zvolak Ethnicity:
            Hungary
            Last Place of Residence: Czigelka Date of Arrival:
            Jun 11, 1901
            Age at Arrival: 25y Gender: M Marital Status:
            M Ship of Travel: Grosser Kurfurst
            Port of Departure: Bremen Manifest Line Number: 0007

            Have looked at starts with Mar and starts with K.

            No amount of money could enable me to find this
            person.

            RAOGK as always.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 2, 2006
              Hello Mary,

              Stephanne owes a big THANKS to you.

              ms wrote:

> [...]
              > > become
              > > > Kitzcka? Perhaps here maiden name was Vanik, she
              > > > married Kitzcka and she was 'nee' Kitzcka upon
              > > > marriage to Zolyak.
              > >

              > > Yes, Stephanne's presentation was confusing.
              > >

              > > > Stephanne, have you found it already? Your
              > > > knowledgebase is so wide, I believe the nudge to
              > > look
              > > > under 'sounds like' surname may be all you need to
              > > > locate Marta, if she is not Marta Vanik.
              > > >
              > > > Plus, Lavrentiy, you are an Ellis Island whiz.
              > > Don't
              > > > let George Mason throw you off.
              > >

              > > The clock reached midnight for Cindarella.
              > >

              > > > The other scenario is that Marta Kitchka did not
              > > come
              > > > into the US through Ellis Island.
              > >

              > > Well, you did enough already. If Stephanne needs
              > > more help maybe she
              > > will pay for your service...what's your billing

            • ms
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 2, 2006
                Lavrentiy,

                Not owed. Received.

                Mary

                --- Laurence Krupnak <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                > Hello Mary,
                >
                > Stephanne owes a big THANKS to you.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • adamvaleriepennstate
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 4, 2006
                  You are so right!! And I did send her a BIG THANKS to her personal
                  email address. Thank you also for your suggestion that she might be
                  able to help me. A big thank you to both of you!
                  Stephanne

                  --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Laurence Krupnak
                  <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Mary,
                  >
                  > Stephanne owes a big THANKS to you.

                  > ms wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello Lavrentiy,
                  > >
                  > > Could be Martha was already married to Steve when she
                  > > immigrated. 1920 Census indicates both immigrated in
                  > > 1899 and were Austrian Slovak; both naturalized in
                  > > 1901, so procuring naturalization records will have
                  > > answers. All children born in PA.
                  > >
                  > > I sort of liked Marya Zolak who went to her husband
                  > > Istvan in Pittsburgh with her son Istvan, age 7. Age
                  > > of son Steve and Martha's son Steven in 1920 census
                  > > was 6 and he was born in PA. However, if anyone is
                  > > looking for this couple, here they are:
                  > >
                  > > http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?
                  order_num=1718998504&MID=11531442640054779232&order_num=1718998504&OR
                  DER_ID=1500293721&pID=104569060046&

                  > > First Name: Marya Last Name: Zolak Ethnicity:
                  > > Ruthenian, Hungary
                  > > Last Place of Residence: Czigelka, Hungary Date of
                  > > Arrival: Jul 21, 1913 Age at Arrival: 26y Gender:
                  > > F Marital Status: M Ship of Travel: Prinz
                  > > Friedrich Wilhelm Port of Departure: Bremen Manifest
                  > > Line Number: 0027
                  > >
                  > > http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?
                  MID=11531442640054779232&order_num=1718998504&ORDER_ID=1500293721&pID
                  =605007130007&

                  > > Istvan Zvolak Jun 11, 1901
                  > > First Name: Istvan Last Name: Zvolak Ethnicity:
                  > > Hungary
                  > > Last Place of Residence: Czigelka Date of Arrival:
                  > > Jun 11, 1901
                  > > Age at Arrival: 25y Gender: M Marital Status:
                  > > M Ship of Travel: Grosser Kurfurst
                  > > Port of Departure: Bremen Manifest Line Number: 0007
                  > >
                  > > Have looked at starts with Mar and starts with K.
                  > >
                  > > No amount of money could enable me to find this
                  > > person.
                  > >
                  > > RAOGK as always.
                  > >
                  > > Mary
                  > >
                  > > --- Laurence Krupnak <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                  > > > Did you try Kitczka or Kotczka?

                  > > > because if Marta's
                  > > > become
                  > > >

                  > > > Yes, Stephanne's presentation was confusing.

                  > > > look

                  > > > Don't
                  > > >

                  > > > The clock reached midnight for Cindarella.

                  > > > come
                  > > >

                  > > > Well, you did enough already. If Stephanne needs
                  > > > more help maybe she
                  > > > will pay for your service...what's your billing
                  > > > rate?
                  > >
                  > > > ______
                  > > >
                  > > > Lavrentiy

                • adamvaleriepennstate
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 4, 2006
                    --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, ms
                    <siemionresearcher@...> wrote:
                    >Thanks very much, Mary! I hope to hear from you again. It was
                    enjoyable writing back and forth to you.
                    stephanne