Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Possible new tool for finding people?

  • Roman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
      Well... Not quite. It allows two Skype users to talk to each other for
      free. Skype is an application that uses the Internet to make a direct
      voice (and video) connection between two users. [The various telephone
      companies are not pleased about this capability. Isn't the Internet great!]

      By the way, I just checked - there are about 3.8 million Skype users
      around the world currently signed in. This means they are simply logged
      in (like Microsoft Messenger) but not necessarily making calls.

      Roman

      KatarzynaWalowa@... wrote:
      > Maybe everyone already knows about this. ???
      >
      > Totay a friend told me about an Internet phone service called Skype. It's a free download ... and allows you to talk (with webcam, if you want!) to anyone anywhere for free. I downloaded it just to see what its capabilities were.
      >
      > Well! What I found out is that many people in Europe use it. I did a quick search of the names that I'm researching, and the results turned up names in the exact towns that my grandparents were born in! I think this could be a great way to contact possible relatives.
      >
      > Cathy

    • Paulette Gilchuk
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
        Wouldn't that be the same as using trillian, MSN or Yahoo with a
        video/voice connection?

        Paulette

        Roman wrote:

        >Well... Not quite. It allows two Skype users to talk to each other for
        >free. Skype is an application that uses the Internet to make a direct
        >voice (and video) connection between two users. [The various telephone
        >companies are not pleased about this capability. Isn't the Internet great!]
        >
        >By the way, I just checked - there are about 3.8 million Skype users
        >around the world currently signed in. This means they are simply logged
        >in (like Microsoft Messenger) but not necessarily making calls.
        >
        >Roman

      • Roman
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
          Yes, I agree. I am not familiar with Trillian though.

          The difference is the voice (and the video). The phone companies would
          like to maintain their customer base and profits. Thus, they try to
          legalize the prohibition of voice over the Internet. And the cable
          companies would prefer video be channeled through their conduits. There
          are also various proposals by ISPs to make us pay for e-mail but with no
          success so far.

          The key word here is "peer-to-peer". If one can handle transactions of
          various types directly between two computers, the middle man is cut out.
          There is substantial pressure in many arenae to limit direct
          peer-to-peer Internet transactions. Think in terms of the movie and
          music industries, banking, news, phones, etc.

          Roman