Woonsocket

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31 11:21 AM
      That area is Woonsocket's "Little Ukraine". Any Uke-owned bars
      (taverns) in the area?

      Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Hello,

      > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Galicia_Poland-Ukraine
      > group.
      >
      > File : /St. Michael's Ukrainian Churches.jpg
      > Uploaded by : einamaka <einamaka@...>
      > Description : St. Michael's Ukrainian Churches in Woonsocket, RI
      >
      > You can access this file at the URL:

      > Regards,
      >
      > einamaka <einamaka@...>
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • einamaka
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31 4:16 PM
        THe building and lot directly behind the Catholic Church and across
        from the Orthodox Church is Kubaska Funeral Home. So perhaps it
        is "Little Galicia"! Im not sure if they were Ukrainian or Polish or
        Slovaks... but all my relatives had funerals there, Polish and
        Ukrainian. The RI headquarters for the Ukrainian National Assoc. is
        also located somewhere in that area.

        There are not many bars in that area at all.., but perhaps their
        were corner taverns "back in the day". Its mostly residential,
        churches and schools (there are two more churches buildings (not
        Ukrainian) just down the street from the Uke Catholic Church, one is
        now a photography studio and the other a soup kitchen.

        Cheers!
        Erika

        --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Laurence Krupnak
        <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

        > That area is Woonsocket's "Little Ukraine". Any Uke-owned bars
        > (taverns) in the area?

        > Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,

        > > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Galicia_Poland-
        Ukraine
        > > group.
        > >
        > > File : /St. Michael's Ukrainian Churches.jpg
        > > Uploaded by : einamaka <einamaka@...>
        > > Description : St. Michael's Ukrainian Churches in Woonsocket,
        RI

        20Michael%27s%20Ukrainian%20Churches.jpg

        > > To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit:
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > einamaka <einamaka@...>
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • einamaka
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31 4:23 PM
          oh yes...! and kitty-corner to St. Michael's Catholic church, cut
          off on that satelite jpg is St. Stanislaus Kostka Polish Church...

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
            Hello Erika,

            Thanks for that information.

            When I grew up, my parents initially resided in a small coal
            mining community (the pop. was less than 1,000 people). Then we
            moved to a city (Syracuse). Even in the coal mine communities
            sections existed where "Russians", Irish, Polish, English, Germans,
            Slovaks, etc. resided....around their individual ethnic-oriented
            churches. One African American man resided there. I guess you know
            the terms that were used by then in the 40s and 50s for him. He was a
            nice fellow and I always enjoyed talking to him on my way to and from
            school. He sat on his porch whittling wood and whistling tunes to
            himself.

            --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "einamaka"
            <einamaka@...> wrote:

            > THe building and lot directly behind the Catholic Church and across
            > from the Orthodox Church is Kubaska Funeral Home. So perhaps it
            > is "Little Galicia"! Im not sure if they were Ukrainian or Polish
            or
            > Slovaks... but all my relatives had funerals there, Polish and
            > Ukrainian. The RI headquarters for the Ukrainian National Assoc. is
            > also located somewhere in that area.
            >
            > There are not many bars in that area at all.., but perhaps their
            > were corner taverns "back in the day". Its mostly residential,
            > churches and schools (there are two more churches buildings (not
            > Ukrainian) just down the street from the Uke Catholic Church, one
            is
            > now a photography studio and the other a soup kitchen.
            >
            > Cheers!
            > Erika
            >

            > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Laurence Krupnak
            > <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
            > >

            > > That area is Woonsocket's "Little Ukraine". Any Uke-owned bars
            > > (taverns) in the area?
            > >
            > > ______
            > >
            > > Lavrentiy
            > >

            > > Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello,
            > > >
            > > > This email message is a notification to let you know that
            > > > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the
            Galicia_Poland-
            > Ukraine
            > > > group.
            > > >
            > > > File : /St. Michael's Ukrainian Churches.jpg
            > > > Uploaded by : einamaka <einamaka@>
            > > > Description : St. Michael's Ukrainian Churches in Woonsocket,
            > RI
            > > >
            > > > You can access this file at the URL:
            > 20Michael%27s%20Ukrainian%20Churches.jpg
            > > >
            > > > To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit:
            > > > http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/files
            > > >
            > > > Regards,
            > > >
            > > > einamaka <einamaka@>
            > > >

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • einamaka
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
              that creates a nice picture... =)

              Woonsocket is best known for it French-Canadian population. And
              technically it is a "city" but its not a very large one. Woonsocket
              and Manville are both along the Blackstone River and the Blackstone
              River Valley running through Massachusetts and Rhode Island are know
              for its mills, which attracted the immigrants. The mills set up
              cheap "Flats" near by the mills where my family had resided before
              they could buy home of their own.

              From what I am finding they were weavers in the cotton mills, which
              doesn't suprise me as I found information on the village Okno that
              said the major industry was weaving.

              piece by piece a story forms.. =)

              thanks again!
              Cheers!
              Erika

              --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
              <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

              > Hello Erika,
              >
              > Thanks for that information.
              >
              > When I grew up, my parents initially resided in a small coal
              > mining community (the pop. was less than 1,000 people). Then we
              > moved to a city (Syracuse). Even in the coal mine communities
              > sections existed where "Russians", Irish, Polish, English,
              Germans,
              > Slovaks, etc. resided....around their individual ethnic-oriented
              > churches. One African American man resided there. I guess you
              know
              > the terms that were used by then in the 40s and 50s for him. He
              was a
              > nice fellow and I always enjoyed talking to him on my way to and
              from
              > school. He sat on his porch whittling wood and whistling tunes to
              > himself.

              > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "einamaka"
              > <einamaka@> wrote:
              > >
              > > THe building and lot directly behind the Catholic Church and
              across
              > > from the Orthodox Church is Kubaska Funeral Home. So perhaps it
              > > is "Little Galicia"! Im not sure if they were Ukrainian or
              Polish
              > or
              > > Slovaks... but all my relatives had funerals there, Polish and
              > > Ukrainian. The RI headquarters for the Ukrainian National Assoc.
              is
              > > also located somewhere in that area.
              > >
              > > There are not many bars in that area at all.., but perhaps
              their
              > > were corner taverns "back in the day". Its mostly residential,
              > > churches and schools (there are two more churches buildings (not
              > > Ukrainian) just down the street from the Uke Catholic Church,
              one
              > is
              > > now a photography studio and the other a soup kitchen.
              > >
              > > Cheers!
              > > Erika
              > >

              > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Laurence Krupnak
              > > <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > That area is Woonsocket's "Little Ukraine". Any Uke-owned bars
              > > > (taverns) in the area?
              > > >
              > > > ______
              > > >
              > > > Lavrentiy

              > Galicia_Poland-
              > > Ukraine

              Woonsocket,
              > > RI

              Ukraine/files/St.%

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
                "coal patches", communities built around coal mines had housing
                similar to your "flats". They were called company homes. People
                shopped in company store. So the company paid a small wage and got
                it back though the company homes and company store!!!

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
                  <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                  > "coal patches", communities built around coal mines had housing
                  > similar to your "flats". They were called company homes. People
                  > shopped in company store. So the company paid a small wage and got
                  > it back though the company homes and company store!!!

                  It wouldn't surprise me if the "beer halls" (taverns) in town
                  were also owned by persons who owned/managed the coal mine in town. I
                  think the movie theater was. Maybe the public school and churches
                  were too!!!