Re: HELP

  • wojtekbalos
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 3, 2006
      Polish: Khristus Zmartvikstau! Zaiste Zmartvikstau! ???!!!
      > http://aggreen.net/orth_links/c_risen.html

      Polish : corectly is ... Chrystus zmartwychwstal! Prawdziwie
      zmartwychwstal !
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 3, 2006
        Village is Zsasko, which is Hungarian place name of Z~as~kov, Slovakia.

        Mary-Ann wrote:

        > Thank you for responding, Nandor! I'm trying to understand if these people were from Ukraine when it was part of the Hungarian Empire....would they have spoken Ukrainian or Hungarian? Hmm. I uploaded the husband's manifest (Gogna, Ferencz, Line #10) to the files, hoping someone can decipher his village name. (Zonko???)
        > Mary-Ann
        > Rockledge, FL
        > From: Nandor Petrov
        >
        > Hi Group,
        >
        > I speak Hungarian, because I am.
        >
        > The translation is "Christ has risen". Although, it should read, "Feltamadt
        > Krisztus". Is the third letter an "l"? Feltamad means "to rise or
        > resurrect" the letter "t" puts it in the past.
        >
        > I hope this helps,
        >
        > Nandor

      • Mary-Ann
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 3, 2006
          Thank you to all who replied.
          Mary-Ann
          Rockledge, FL

        • Mary-Ann
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 5, 2006
            Thank you, Nandor and Group.

            I have several people on a manifest coming from "Ungordas, Ung." . Any idea where that is? I've tried JewishGen ShtetleSeeker....gave me nothing. I've uploaded the first
            page of the manifest of Elzsebet Verbics (line #26) who is Ferencz Gogna's wife. She is one of those from Ungordas, Ung.
            Mary-Ann
            Rockledge, F

            Nandor Petrov wrote:

            Hello Group and Mary-Ann,
            Just a couple of comments. Who ever made the manifest entries got the
            Hungarian names right. He or she has the proper accent (ekezet) on most of
            the names, as in #8 ...Ja'nos etc. Col. #9, Race is stated as "Magyar",
            that is what we call ourselves. In my lifetime no one ever called me a
            "Magyar" except another Hungarian. It was always, "....Oh, you are
            Hungarian". It is surprising that the manifest didn't state the English
            equivalent of "Hungarian". Another comment regarding the name "Ferencz".
            This form is usually a surname. "Ferenc" with out the "z" is a "given
            name", a first name. At least it is in this form where I came from.

            Nandor

          • Nandor Petrov
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 5, 2006
              Mary-Ann,

              That would be Erzsebet, or Elizabeth to you.

              Nandor

              Nandor Petrov wrote:

              Hello Group and Mary-Ann,
              Just a couple of comments. Who ever made the manifest entries got the
              Hungarian names right. He or she has the proper accent (ekezet) on most
              of
              the names, as in #8 ...Ja'nos etc. Col. #9, Race is stated as "Magyar",
              that is what we call ourselves. In my lifetime no one ever called me a
              "Magyar" except another Hungarian. It was always, "....Oh, you are
              Hungarian". It is surprising that the manifest didn't state the English
              equivalent of "Hungarian". Another comment regarding the name
              "Ferencz".
              This form is usually a surname. "Ferenc" with out the "z" is a "given
              name", a first name. At least it is in this form where I came from.

              Nandor

              Service.

            • Nandor Petrov
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 5, 2006
                Mary-Ann,

                Try this site, click on Ung. It was an old county that we lost in 1918.
                Punishment from the "Soviets" for being on the wrong side. This should give
                you a starting point. Then start looking for a more detailed map of the
                area to locate the towns and villages.

                Nandor

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 5, 2006
                  "Ung." is also the abbreviation for the German "Ungarn" or "Hungary".

                  Irene Johnson
                • Mary-Ann
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 5, 2006
                    Nandor,
                    Ahhh....I believe I see that Ungvar is the Hungarian name for Uzghorod Ukraine! I see what looks to be a river called Ung and some towns beginning with Ung. I remember finding my grandparents' villages (Patakos/Packanovo and Horlyo/Khudlovo) East of there. Ok..now I know about where I'm searching..I just have to find a more detailed map I suppose. Thank you for your help!
                    Mary-Ann
                    Rockledge, FL

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 6, 2006
                      Irene,
                      Since this person left from a German port, I suppose the agent used the German abbreviation for Hungary. Thank you, your response is appreciated.
                      Mary-Ann
                      Rockledge, FL

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 6, 2006
                        Mary-Ann,

                        "Horlyo" is a village in the "Ungvar" district. Ungvar is the county seat
                        for the village.
                        So, perhaps Ung. is not a German abbreviation. To me, it just didn't fit.
                        If you want to contact me off the list, perhaps I can help.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 6, 2006
                          I'm glad you are doing so well and am enjoying following your progress. We
                          all keep learning something new on this list!

                          Irene Johnson
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 7, 2006
                            Ungordas is Hungarian place name for Volkovo. Volkovo is located in
                            Zakarpatska oblast, Ukraine.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 7, 2006
                              Hello Nandor,

                              Nandor Petrov wrote:

                              > Mary-Ann,
                              >
                              > Try this site, click on Ung.

                              where's the website?

                              > It was an old county that we lost in 1918.
                              > Punishment from the "Soviets" for being on the wrong side.

                              After WWI (1919) Ung megye was given to Czechoslovakia.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 7, 2006
                                Correction:

                                Volkovo was Soviet-era place name.

                                The Ukrainian place name is Vovkove.

                                The Rusyn name is Vovkovyi.

                                Shtetlseeker does not have Volkovo.

                                Here are maps that have Volkovo and Ungordas:

                                http://www.infoukes.com/ua-maps/oblasts/oblast01/b04.jpg

                                http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/ung.jpg

                                Volkovo is southeast of Uzhgorod (Uzhhorod) (Ungvar in Hungarian).

                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 7, 2006
                                  Hello Nandor and Maryann,

                                  The following map has Ungordas:

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 7, 2006
                                    Following map has Ungordas:

                                    http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/ung.jpg

                                    Current (Ukrainian) name is Vovkove. Shtetlseeker does not have it.

                                    _________

                                    Lavrentiy

                                    Mary-Ann wrote:

                                    > Nandor,
                                    > Ahhh....I believe I see that Ungvar is the Hungarian name for Uzghorod Ukraine! I see what looks to be a river called Ung and some towns beginning with Ung. I remember finding my grandparents' villages (Patakos/Packanovo and Horlyo/Khudlovo) East of there. Ok..now I know about where I'm searching..I just have to find a more detailed map I suppose. Thank you for your help!
                                    > Mary-Ann
                                    > Rockledge, FL
                                  • Nandor Petrov
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 7, 2006
                                      Hello,

                                      As per your request, here it is. I am enclosing another one also:

                                      http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g104.shtml

                                      Service.

                                    • Nandor Petrov
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 7, 2006
                                        Hello again,

                                        OOOOOOOPS, here is the second site:

                                        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/ung.jpg

                                        Sorry, glasses fogged up!

                                        Nandor
                                        > It was an old county that we lost in 1918.
                                        > Punishment from the "Soviets" for being on the wrong side.

                                        After WWI (1919) Ung megye was given to Czechoslovakia.

                                        > This should give
                                        > you a starting point. Then start looking for a more detailed map of the
                                        > area to locate the towns and villages.

                                        > Nandor

                                        Service.

                                      • Mary-Ann
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 7, 2006
                                          Lavrentiy:
                                          Thank you so much for the maps. I believe I found Volkovo on your map. If my Cyrillic transports to you successfully, it looks like "Волково", correct?
                                          Mary-Ann
                                          Rockledge, FL

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 7, 2006
                                            Hello Mary-Ann,