Youngstown, Ohio

  • Joann E. Blakeman
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hi Steve!
      You mentioned living in the Youngstown,Oh area. I do too, what a small world this is! I actually live in Canfield and I would guess your residence to be in Boardman by your telephone number. It seems like around here everyone in the Ukrainian community knows each other. I don't recognize your grandmother's surname but maybe you've heard of my family Kucalaba?
      Kind Regards,
      Joann Blakeman

    • tSteven Helvak
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
        Joann,
        We live on the outskirts of Poland village. Our family once atended Holy
        Trinity. T here were large groups of Ukrainian people on the south
        side,Campbell,and the east side of Y town. was born in Campbell but we
        moved to Struthers when I was very young. recall that after mass people
        would gather in the courtyard at Holy Trinity and talk about the old
        country.
        herre was a Ukainian club on nBright Ave in Campbell. I forgot to
        mention the west side that that included BC and
        Orthodox faiths
        Steve

        > You mentioned living in the Youngstown,Oh area. I do too, what a small
        world this is! I actually live in Canfield and I would guess your residence
        to be in Boardman by your telephone number. It seems like around here
        everyone in the Ukrainian community knows each other. I don't recognize
        your grandmother's surname but maybe you've heard of my family Kucalaba?
        > Kind Regards,
        > Joann Blakeman

      • tSteven Helvak
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
          Joann,
          Forgot to address your question on Kucalaba. don't recall recall the name.
          I don't know if you know about Herby a site that was done twice, think the
          they were done in the late 80's and another gone in 02 the lists people by
          surname and list the villages they were in.
          Steve
          > You mentioned living in the Youngstown,Oh area. I do too, what a small
          world this is! I actually live in Canfield and I would guess your residence
          to be in Boardman by your telephone number. It seems like around here
          everyone in the Ukrainian community knows each other. I don't recognize
          your grandmother's surname but maybe you've heard of my family Kucalaba?
          > Kind Regards,
          > Joann Blakeman

        • Joann E. Blakeman
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
            Steve,
            You are close to us, what a coincidence! My Grandma still goes to Holy Trinity. I went to St. Anne's Byzantine Ukrainian Catholic Church in Austintown as a child.
            You mentioned a website for tracking down villages via surnames. Thanks for your suggestion but I have already located my family in Ukraine. My second cousin in Ukraine made a family tree for me with all the information she knew. The people in the oldest generation she recorded were probably born around 1850. Does anyone know how to trace my family history further in Ukraine? Would microfilms from the Latter Day Saints help me now? Any help would be appreciated!
            Kind Regards,
            Joann
            > You mentioned living in the Youngstown,Oh area. I do too, what a small
            world this is! I actually live in Canfield and I would guess your residence
            to be in Boardman by your telephone number. It seems like around here
            everyone in the Ukrainian community knows each other. I don't recognize
            your grandmother's surname but maybe you've heard of my family Kucalaba?
            > Kind Regards,
            > Joann Blakeman

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • tSteven Helvak
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
              Joann,
              several years ago Dorothy and I went to Poland and also Lwow in the
              Ukraine. My parents were from Galiacia which is near the Ukrainian border,I
              was mistaken that some of my kin were from that area which they were not.
              Conditions in the Ukr. are poor indeed. We have a friend who still sends
              packages to the Ukr.
              A side bar: in my younger days I was involved in the group that started
              Bingo in both churches.
              My parents were born in 1889 an we have found the name of my grandfather
              and mother . I think that they were born in-\time frame as your people.
              don't have any records for Mom and Dad but the family found my uncle
              Andy's baptismal records dated 1924. He was working on US citzenship and
              I don't know if he got his final papers----

              Service.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
                "Joann E. Blakeman" wrote:

                >> My second cousin in Ukraine made a family tree for me with all the information she knew. The people in the oldest generation she recorded were probably born around 1850. Does anyone know how to trace my family history further in Ukraine? Would microfilms from the Latter Day Saints help me now? Any help would be appreciated!
                > Kind Regards,
                > Joann

                ********

                Which community(s) (in Ukraine)?

              • Joann E. Blakeman
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 2, 2004
                  Lavrentiy,
                  My Grandmother's village name was Lyatsko, I am told it is called Solyanovatka now. My Grandfather's village is Lopusznica or Lopushnitsa. Both are close to the town of Dobromyl which is 6 kms east of the Polish border as the crow flies.
                  Thanks,
                  Joann

                  ********

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 2, 2004
                    Steve,
                    Do you know how your family found your Uncle Andy's baptismal records?

                    Service.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 2, 2004
                      Hello Joann,

                      The FHL has some of the registers for both places. I do not
                      know what years are covered:

                      http://lemko.org/genealogy/galicia.html

                      ___________

                      Lavrentiy

                      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Joann E. Blakeman"
                      <joannblakeman@z...> wrote:
                      > Lavrentiy,
                      > My Grandmother's village name was Lyatsko, I am told it is called
                      Solyanovatka now. My Grandfather's village is Lopusznica or
                      Lopushnitsa. Both are close to the town of Dobromyl which is 6 kms
                      east of the Polish border as the crow flies.
                      > Thanks,
                      > Joann

                    • Joann E. Blakeman
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 2, 2004
                        Thanks for all your help Lavrentiy! I will try your suggestions!

                        <joannblakeman@z...> wrote:
                        > Lavrentiy,
                        > My Grandmother's village name was Lyatsko, I am told it is called
                        Solyanovatka now. My Grandfather's village is Lopusznica or
                        Lopushnitsa. Both are close to the town of Dobromyl which is 6 kms
                        east of the Polish border as the crow flies.
                        > Thanks,
                        > Joann

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • denise lazorishak
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 2, 2004
                          Hi. Did you ever hear of Lazorishak? My grt grandfather was in Youngstown for a time. The family lives in Hermitage/Sharon PA area.My father in law lives in Vienna, OH. Denise

                          "Joann E. Blakeman" <joannblakeman@...> wrote:Hi Steve!
                          You mentioned living in the Youngstown,Oh area. I do too, what a small world this is! I actually live in Canfield and I would guess your residence to be in Boardman by your telephone number. It seems like around here everyone in the Ukrainian community knows each other. I don't recognize your grandmother's surname but maybe you've heard of my family Kucalaba?
                          Kind Regards,
                          Joann Blakeman

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 2, 2004
                            "Joann E. Blakeman" wrote in part:

                            > My Grandmother's village name was Lyatsko, I am told it is called Solyanovatka now.

                            ********

                            Liats'ko (L~a~cko in Polish), during the Soviet-era, was changed to
                            Solyanovatka. Most Soviet-era place name changes have been rescinded,
                            especially in Western Ukraine, so perhaps the place is again called
                            Liats'ko.

                          • Joann E. Blakeman
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 3, 2004
                              Hi Denise, No I haven't heard of Lazorishak. You aren't far from me either! Good luck with your research.
                              Joann

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 3, 2004
                                Hello
                                I was wondering if either of you 2 in Youngstown Ohio area might help. I am
                                researching my wifes fathers family. Her grandfather came to Canada at age
                                17 in 1911. He had another brother and an Uncle here already. I have
                                tracked down all the branches and roots of these canadian familys. I believe
                                there was another bunch who came in via New York but with a Canadian
                                destination. They all returned to the "old country". The surname is
                                WITYSHYN/WITYSZYN. The seems to be ONE family of them only in the USA, and
                                that is in Boardstown/Youngstown. I have emailed a few of em but no
                                response. I wounder if anyone knows of them in those parts. They come from
                                Myshkiw or Bilche in district of Borschiv/Zalishchyky about 50miles south ot
                                Ternopil in modern day Ukraine
                                John Laporte
                                Beausejour, MB, Canada
                                Where most everyone is at least half Uk

                                > Hi Denise, No I haven't heard of Lazorishak. You aren't far from me
                                either! Good luck with your research.
                                > Joann

                                Service.

                              • Joann E. Blakeman
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 3, 2004
                                  John,
                                  Looked up the names you requested in our phone book.
                                  Wityshyn:
                                  Donald (330) 726-6727 (this number is located in Boardman)
                                  John M (330) 755-8697 (located in Campbell, maybe Steven Helvak knows this person)
                                  No listings for the spelling of Wityszyn.
                                  Hope that helps!
                                  Kind Regards,
                                  Joann

                                  > Hi Denise, No I haven't heard of Lazorishak. You aren't far from me
                                  either! Good luck with your research.
                                  > Joann

                                  Service.

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                • joe_britney2003
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 11 7:57 PM
                                    Is there anyone out there that would consider doing some minor research
                                    (marriage license, death cert and/or obed) for Youngstown, Ohio, please
                                    contact me off list at jpyeron@... Thanks.