Re: banns?

  • bjlenius
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
      The Book of Banns (Liber Bannorum) can be a real "Brick wall breaker".

      When I lecture on Parish Records, I always talk about Banns and their
      importance particularly for one of Irene's reasons below.

      As Irene pointed out, Banns were read in BOTH parishes (bride-to-be and
      groom-to-be). How many times have you had found a birth for someone but
      no death and no marriage record? It happens all the time. In many
      cases this will be mean that the person was married in another parish
      other than the one you are researching at the time. The process then
      involves "guessing" at which parish to check for the marriage and
      probably searching the closest parishes and working a ever widening
      circle, etc. It is hit and miss. But if there are Banns, the problem
      is usually solved instantly because the Banns were not only READ in
      each parish but were RECORDED in the Parish Book of Banns in BOTH
      parishes.

      I have also personally found Banns indispensable when there was no
      Marriage records available for the time period I needed, but there was
      a Book of Banns and a Marriage Index Book for the right time period. So
      the combination of the two can be used to confirm the marriage.
      Normally the Marriage Index has a name and a date, not necessarily a
      spouse or parents, etc. So it is not enough by itself. The Bann, as has
      been pointed out, normally does not (but sometimes does) have the
      marriage date recorded. So it requires dome confirming fact that the
      marriage actually took place and the Marriage Index can provide that.

      Brian

      --- "Irene Johnson" <ienj43@x...> wrote:
      <clip>... AND the banns had to be read in the home parishes of both the
      bride and the groom, if they were from different parishes. ...<clip>
    • Andre Switala
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
        thanks to everyone who helped me with my question. Indeed it seems to be
        a good source for genealogical research.

        Andre
      • bjlenius
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
          Hi Andre,

          Just wondering about your surname. One of the many surnames from our
          German Catholic colonies in Galicia is Switalo. It always seemed to me
          unlike a German surname. Anything you can tell me about yours?

          Tnx,
          Brian

          --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Andre Switala
          <andre@...> wrote:

          > thanks to everyone who helped me with my question. Indeed it seems to
          be
          > a good source for genealogical research.
          >
          > Andre

        • Andre Switala
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
            Hello Brian,

            for this (even though it will be long) I think it is best to send you
            parts of an email that I received from William Hoffmann many years ago.

            >> This name Switala comes from a Slavic root meaning "light, dawn,
            daybreak," which appears in Russian _svet_, Ukrainian _svit_, Polish
            _swit_, etc. In Polish names the suffix -ala added to a root X usually
            means "one always doing X, one always exhibiting the quality or
            characteristic of X." So Switala meant literally "one associated with
            dawn, light; one always shining; one who typifies brightness." There is
            no connection with any German word, except perhaps a remote one with
            words coming from the same original Indo-European root. <<

            And

            >> In Polish the first letter, the S, has an accent over it which
            gives it a sound similar to German SCH (although Polish SZ sounds more
            like SCH, the Polish accented S has a soft, hissing sound perceptibly
            different from SZ or German SCH). In that name the L is not the standard
            L but rather an L with a slash through it, which sounds like the English
            letter W. Even in Polish this name has been spelled various ways,
            including Switala, Switalla, etc.

            In records it is quite common to see names spelled inconsistently, even
            without complications due to the influence of different languages. Only
            happened in the last century or so have people begun to emphasize
            spelling a name the same way consistently, and only during that time
            that literacy has become so widespread that it became possible to
            standardize spellings. Whether one studies American records or English
            or French or German, one need only go back a few decades and
            one begins to see names spelled many different ways. So all those forms
            you cite are simply variations in spelling of Switala, which is the
            standard Polish spelling of the name. <<

            Among other spellings I have seen and that I think might be related to
            the Switala name are Schwitalla (mainly in Silesia), Schwiethal,
            Schwital (which I saw in old Berlin address books) and also more exotic
            ones as Szwitala, Schwitulla, Swytala etc.

            It seems to me, that most of the Switala's lived in the Posen area
            (Wielkopolskie) and Silesia (with the different spellings as well).
            Since those parts belonged for a long time to Preussen, the German
            language might have been adopted and thus they might have identified
            themselves as German.

            In fact, the reason why I subscribed to this mailing list is, that I
            found a brother of my grandfather who got married in Galicia. His name
            was Waclaw (Venceslaus) Switala and he got married to Marya Pasierbek in
            Antoniowka near Kochawina in 1917 (they lived in Jajkowce). The marriage
            record states, that at that time he was in the German Army and on
            vacation/leave during that time. In the birth records around that time I
            found one daughter that was born in 1919, with the name Jozefa Switala.
            The records continue until the 1940s in the microfilm I currently have,
            but no other birth was found there. So I think he might have moved
            afterwards.

            Could you please let me know where those German colonies where, that had
            that name? I am always interested in finding new Switala's around the
            world, so I would appreciate any information you could give me on that.

            Thanks in advance.

            Andre

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
              Hello Brian,

              The surname Svitala/Switala would be/is present among Ukrainians and
              Poles, respectively. The root of the surname is svitaty
              (Ukrainian)/s~witac~ (Polish) which means, among other things, to dawn.

              bjlenius wrote:

              > Hi Andre,
              >
              > Just wondering about your surname. One of the many surnames from our
              > German Catholic colonies in Galicia is Switalo. It always seemed to me
              > unlike a German surname. Anything you can tell me about yours?
              >
              > Tnx,
              > Brian
              >
              > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Andre Switala
              > <andre@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > thanks to everyone who helped me with my question. Indeed it seems to
              > be
              > > a good source for genealogical research.
              > >
              > > Andre
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Brian J. Lenius
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
                Thanks Andre (and Laurence).

                I am well aware of the mispellings or simply variations among
                surnames and Switalo/Switala is one that seems (even among the
                records I know of) to have had more variations even than most
                surnames. I think the German letter "S" with the "Sh" sound is close
                enough to the Polish "S" when it has the diactical mark. So there
                probably is not much difference there (all in the ear), although the
                Polish "elw" as I call it (letter "l" with stroke through it) is most
                often simply pronounced as the letter "l" in German. Maybe if I am
                off base, Fred would clarify for us.

                Yes, I am very well aware of William F. Hoffman's (Fred's) wonderful
                book on Surnames and the one on First Names as well. They are
                constant companions for me and among the few that are at my side for
                ease of daily use.

                However, my message did not have as much to do with the meaning or
                root of the name as it did with where the occurences of individuals
                or original geographic areas are located. So Andre, your message is
                informative in that way.

                I will forward the names of the colonies in Galizien to you when I am
                back in my library and also some of the occurences that I know of in
                Canada.

                <andre@...> wrote:

                > Hello Brian,

                <clip>

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
                  Hello Brian,

                  You wrote in part:

                  > However, my message did not have as much to do with the meaning or
                  > root of the name as it did with where the occurences of individuals
                  > or original geographic areas are located. So Andre, your message is
                  > informative in that way.

                  Since it is not a toponymic-type surname, that surname, whether
                  among Poles or Ukrainians, would be present throughout Poland and
                  Ukraine.