FW: Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] New Year's Day Tradition

  • Angela Birt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2006
      This is what my sister just sent me. Would this be close to an English
      transation ?

      >Sowing, and planting of many grains, for prosperity, for health for this
      new year may your grains, grow more properity this year than last year. "

      I would also like to get your Ukrainian version if possible.
      apt_birt@...
      Angela

      From: El Nest <OrelStepovy@...>
      To: Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] New Year's Day Tradition
      Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:03:16 -0600

      Lolly,
      I have the entire verses [as I did them +/- 60 years ago] for both of
      the house-to-house carolling on Christmas Eve and throughout the 3-day
      celebrations of Christmas that followed, and, the New Year's Day "Seeding"
      ritual by kids. I can write them out in Cyrillic and mail to you, as I am
      not so certain that my transliterations of the verses would be sufficiently
      accurate. Would you like to try my transliteration [this assumes, perhaps
      erroneously on my part, that you are unable to read Cyrillic].
      Someone was wondering whether this "Seeding" ritual was restricted to
      the rural areas of the prairies, or was it followed, as well, in the towns,
      etc. As I recall, the ritual was predominant in the rural farming areas [but
      not restricted by any rules from being practised in town/city homes] simply
      because it applied crops seeded, grown and harvested - in rural areas, on
      farms ...the verse stated: "Siyu vam zhyto, pshynyt'tsu, i vsilyaku
      pashnytstu, na nynishnyj den
      ', na novyj rik..." (On this day, for the New Year, I seed for you rye,
      wheat, and all kinds of fine things...}.
      ED

    • Angela Birt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
        Thankyou Ed
        much appreciated
        Angela

        From: El Nest <OrelStepovy@...>
        To: Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:21:31 -0600

        Hello all,
        Being unable to send on-line in Cyrillic, I have attempted to
        send the "sayings" in Ukrainian written in English, and if this should fail,
        I would have to hand-write them out in Cyrillic, scan and attach to my
        e-mail [as soon as I am able to coax my Epson 3-in-1 scanner, printer and
        photocopier to do my bidding again]. You must remember to sound each "a' as
        "ah"; each "e" as in "petty"; each "i" as "ee"; each "o" as it's used in
        "color"; each "u" as "you"; and each "y" as the "i" is pronounced in "if, it
        and pit". So, hang on; and here we go!

        1. The "GREETING/WISHES" spoken following the singing of the Carol:
        Znynichnym praznykom rizdva sviatoho, vinchuju vas symy sviatamy
        schastiam i zdorovliam, i pomozhy vam Bozhe si sviata schaslyvo
        vidsviatkuvaty, i schaslyvo Novoho Roku dochykaty; a vid Novoho Roky do
        Bohojavlenia; a vid Bohojavlenia do Voskresenia; i tak do sto rik doki vam
        Hospod' Boh naznachyv vik. Narodzhenyj Syn Bozheyj nekhai blahoslovyt
        ' vash dim i tsilu vashu rodynu na m'nohi lita. KHRYSTOS RODYVSIA!!

        2. The "GREETING/WISHES' spoken as the wheat is being "sown" in the home:
        Siju vam zhyto, pshenytsu, i vsiliaku pashnytsu.Vnynichnyj den', na
        novyj rik, daj Bozhe shchob vy shchaslyvo Bohojavlenia dochykaly; a vid
        Bohojavlenia do Voskresenia; i tak do sto rik doki vam Hospod' Boh naznachyv
        vik. Narodzhenyj Syn Bozheyj nekhaj blahoslovyt' vash dim i tsilu vashu
        rodynu na m'nohi lita. KHRYSTOS RODYVSIA!!

        A rough translation of #2 is: "I am sowing [for] you rye, wheat, and a
        variety of grains and corn. On this day, the New Year, may God grant that
        you safely reach The Epiphany; and from The Epiphany to see the Rising of
        Christ [Easter]; and so on for a hundred years until you reach your
        God-appointed age. The newborn Son of God, may He bless your home and all of
        your family for many years. CHRIST IS BORN!!

        Lolly, Angela, Barb, and all the rest of you interested in these
        traditions,... I hope I have to s
        ome degree served you. Questions? Further translation [however cruddy]?
        Would try my best to help you.

        ED

        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Lolly Kozak wrote as