Re: Birch, Beech & Linden Trees

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 52 , Jan 2, 2006
      Héthárs, Sáros-Felsö Tarcya, (Lipjani, Siebenlinden) now Lipany, SR,
      RCath KASSA (Kosice) = 1135; GkCath: Déscö = 29; Luth Kisszeben, 12;
      Slovak Congraegation; lzr: HéTHARS = 238

      That is from "Genealogical Gazetteer of the Kingdom of Hungary"
      compiled by Jordan Auslander.

      If the accents do not come out clearly, try switching your screen
      display font to "Central European".

      Ron

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "seraph1818"
      <seraph@d...> wrote:

      > I do believe that you have answered a question for me, unknowingly.
      >
      > I have relatives on one side of my family from Bukowsko, and knew
      of
      > the meaning of "buk".
      >
      > On the other side of my family, I have relatives who lived in
      > Hungary, now Slovakia. The town seemed to go through several name
      > changes. At one point is was called Hethars and at another point
      it
      > went by the German name of Sieben Linden. The coat of arms has 7
      > linden(lime) trees on it. I knew this, but it wasn't until your
      > post below that I figured out why it had its present name of
      > Lipany! I didn't realize that "lip" would be a form of the word
      for
      > linden tree. Maybe "lyp/lipa" is, not just a Ukrainian prefix?
      > Now, I know the new name for the town isn't just some random thing.
      >
      > As a total aside, Lipa can be a first name. My great uncle was
      named
      > Lipa, which has nothing to do w/ linden trees at all. At least not
      > to my knowledge (grin)
      >
      > Debbie
      > California
      >
      > Happy New Year All!
      >

      > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Laurence Krupnak
      > <Lkrupnak@e...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Paulette,
      > >

      > > Buk is beech (tree).
      > >
      > > Lypa (lipa if you prefer) is linden (lime tree).
      > >
      > > The above are Ukrainian language terms.
      > >
      > > ______
      > >
      > > Lavrentiy
      > >

      > > Paulette Gilchuk wrote:
      > > >
      > > > So is that were Bukovina comes from? I know it is tranlated
      > as "The Land
      > > > of Beech Trees"
      > > >
      > > > Or are these a different tree? What about Linden Trees?
      > > >
      > > > The Chodove people took their Linden trees with them from
      > Bohemia to
      > > > Brody District. They planted them in their new places to
      > remember the old.
      > > >
      > > > They also transported their "signalling" bell and posted it in
      > their new
      > > > town on a birch tree. The bell was in Komorowka for over 100
      > years and
      > > > is now in a museum in Lviv...
      > > > (more info into the bells and tree planting can be found on the
      > > > www.chodovepeople.com website using the Memorials link in the
      > menu)
      > > >
      > > > Paulette

      > Ukrainians and

      > District of

      > German
      > serveral of the

      > of Jim's
      Brody.

      Message 52 of 52 , Jan 5, 2006
        "seraph1818" wrote:

        > First of all, some say that simply by drinking a little extra wine
        > until one feels sleepy (not disgustingly drunk!) fulfills this.
        Hey,
        > if you're sleeping, you don't know anything!

        *********

        BTW, Vladimir did not accept Islam because it prohibits the
        consumption of alcohol.

        From: http://chi.gospelcom.net/DAILYF/2002/06/daily-06-05-2002.shtml

        Before his conversion, say the old legends, Vladimir examined the
        great faiths of his age. He immediately rejected Judaism, saying that
        if they had so offended God that he would not allow them to return to
        their land, they were unfit to teach him. Islamic teachings on sex
        appealed to his playboy nature, but their restrictions on wine and
        swine disgusted him. Vladimir did not care for the Germans who
        brought the Latin faith his way. But an Orthodox teacher, who pointed
        to fulfilled scripture charmed him. He sent diplomats to observe the
        various faiths. When the agents who returned from Constantinople
        claimed that they had been almost transported to heaven during an
        Orthodox service in Hagia Sophia (Holy Wisdom), the most splendid
        church of the age, Vladimir opted for Orthodoxy.