Zbarazh

  • Richard Coleman
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
      Is there anyone reading this who is researching Zbarazh? I would be
      especially interested in hearing from anyone whose ancestors may have been
      Sephardic and who emigrated to the United States from this region of
      Galicia. You can post to the group and I will answer from the group. Thank
      you.

      Richard Coleman

    • KatarzynaWalowa@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
        Happy New Year, Richard!

        I am researching family from Stryjowka ... which was very close to Zbaraz. My ancestors, however, were Roman Catholic ... and worshipped in the Roman Catholic church in Zbaraz.

        Cathy

        From: "Richard Coleman" <drjekyll@...>
        Is there anyone reading this who is researching Zbarazh? I would be
        especially interested in hearing from anyone whose ancestors may have been
        Sephardic and who emigrated to the United States from this region of
        Galicia. You can post to the group and I will answer from the group. Thank
        you.

        Richard Coleman

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "Galicia_Poland-Ukraine" on the web.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
          Routes to Roots Foundation website identifies the Jewish records that
          are extant for Zharazh:

          http://www.rtrfoundation.org/archdta.html

          Richard Coleman wrote:

          > Is there anyone reading this who is researching Zbarazh? I would be
          > especially interested in hearing from anyone whose ancestors may have been
          > Sephardic and who emigrated to the United States from this region of
          > Galicia. You can post to the group and I will answer from the group. Thank
          > you.
          >

          > Richard Coleman
        • Richard Coleman
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
            Mine were Roman Catholic as well. I did not grow up with any idea that the
            family may have been Jewish generations ago. Mom was baptized in St.
            Elizabeth's Catholic Church in Pen Argyl, and my grandparents are buried in
            the church cemetery. IF the family had been Jewish at one time either it
            had been forgotten or it was never revealed. Thanks for answering my
            e-mail.

            Richard

            _____

            From: "Richard Coleman" <drjekyll@...>
            Is there anyone reading this who is researching Zbarazh? I would be
            especially interested in hearing from anyone whose ancestors may have been
            Sephardic and who emigrated to the United States from this region of
            Galicia. You can post to the group and I will answer from the group. Thank
            you.

            Richard Coleman

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Visit your group "Galicia_Poland-Ukraine" on the web.

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "Galicia_Poland-Ukraine
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Galicia_Poland-Ukraine> " on the web.

            be>

          • Richard Coleman
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
              Thank you for that information. I will be checking it out later today.

              Richard

              _____

              Richard Coleman wrote:

              > Is there anyone reading this who is researching Zbarazh? I would be
              > especially interested in hearing from anyone whose ancestors may have been
              > Sephardic and who emigrated to the United States from this region of
              > Galicia. You can post to the group and I will answer from the group.
              Thank
              > you.
              >

              > Richard Coleman

              Dvd
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Dvd+region+free&w1=Dvd+region+free&w2=A
              ll+regions+dvd+player&w3=Galicia&c=3&s=62&.sig=JXKRs56KItfztUFuUygR1Q>
              region free

              All
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=All+regions+dvd+player&w1=Dvd+region+fr
              ee&w2=All+regions+dvd+player&w3=Galicia&c=3&s=62&.sig=PdLVLFUTXbqXP6GIvoP7TA
              > regions dvd player

              Galicia
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Galicia&w1=Dvd+region+free&w2=All+regio
              ns+dvd+player&w3=Galicia&c=3&s=62&.sig=MlCxj4yICdKAGFe2Mpyxhg>

              _____

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
                Hi Richard!

                Pen Argyl? That's a new location to me. I have found a lot of my family and their neighbors settled in areas of New Jersey (Newark and surrounding areas) and New York (Cohoes and Babylon) ... although I do have one branch in the Scranton, PA area.

                Do you still have any family ties in the Zbarazh area? Have you done any research at the Archives there? When did your family come to the United States?

                Cathy

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
                  If I have relatives in the Zbarazh area I have not discovered it yet, though
                  I suppose it is a good possibility. My grandfather had 5 siblings who
                  stayed in the old country, according to the information I have. It would be
                  reasonable to assume that I have distant cousins there, though I have yet to
                  be able to afford to look any further than what the free sites are able to
                  give me. I told my sons that when I die I want to be cremated, have most of
                  my ashes scattered over South Easton, Pa., where I grew up, but I want one
                  vial of my ashes interred in Zbarazh according to whatever is the local
                  custom with the inscription, along with my name, of "A grandson of Zbarazh".

                  Pen Argyl is Welsh in origin and the area was a real melting pot. My
                  grandfather worked in the slate quarries and spoke 7 languages. Mom didn't
                  learn English until she went to school. Even after she was an adult and
                  living on her own, he would not speak English to her, even tough he was
                  fluent. Northeastern Pa. has many Eastern Europeans and Italians from long
                  ago.

                  As near as I have been able to determine, grandfather came toward the end of
                  January 1910. I found his name on the Ellis Island site with his complete
                  immigration record. I haven't been able to find anything on my grandmother
                  though. I had one aunt who came through Philly much earlier because her
                  mother died and she must have been sent over here to live with family or
                  friends. Her mother was Anna Bilinska (Bilinskaya?), a noted painter in
                  late 19th century Galicia.

                  The time spent unraveling all of this has been most gratifying to me, even
                  though it has asked as many questions as it has answered.

                  Richard Coleman

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
                    Hi Richard!

                    Yep ... 1910 is about when my family came as well. My grandfather actually went back and forth quite a few times ... and I've been trying to figure out why. I know he wasn't a very wealthy man ... so there must have been something going on "over there" to warrant the frequent trips.

                    Have you checked out the microfilms from the LDS on the Zbaraz Roman Cathohlic church indexes? I found quite a few "Walowy's" there ... of course there are many, many missing years. Yes ... still more questions ... and not enough answers.

                    I am in the process of requesting some genealogical research from the Archives in Ukraine. When the researcher gets back to me ... if you want ... I will be glad to share with you their findings as far as what is available ... and what the cost to obtain it is.

                    Thanks for sharing! If I ever find out anything interesting ... I'll be sure to let you know!

                    Cathy

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                      I don't recall Mom ever saying her father went back and forth between Pen
                      Argyl and Zbarazh, though it could have taken place in the years my
                      grandparents were separated. He was alcoholic and abusive. I know people
                      whom Mom kept in touch with could never understand why they lived so poor,
                      because he had a dangerous job in the slate quarries, a job few men would
                      do, so he not only had a good paying job, but a steady one as well, even
                      during the depression. When he died in 1938, he had $10,000 in the bank
                      under 3 different names. I think that was a princely sum in those days.

                      As I am sure you have found too, there are many discrepancies in the old
                      records. IF I stick to the birth dates in the records, there are more holes
                      than if I ignore the dates and try to make the most sense of the
                      relationships without the dates. I was fortunate to get a list from my
                      mother's 85 year old cousin from Steubenville a few years back that, while
                      it may not be entirely accurate, ahs given me a fine starting point. That
                      is where I learned about Zbarazh. It is a whole lot better on my e-wife's
                      side. I have a genealogy on her maternal grandmother that goes all the way
                      back to when her German ancestors came over in 1796.

                      On her paternal grandmother's side, she may be related to Albert Speer, the
                      Nazi war criminal! Interesting combination, considering that my family may
                      have been Sephardic Jews, wouldn't you say? LOL.

                      I hadn't looked into the microfilm records yet, but this correspondence with
                      you has gotten me interested in working on the genealogy again. Happy
                      hunting!

                      Richard

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                        Good Morning Richard!

                        You are fortunate, indeed, to have your mother's genealogy handed to you! That is my ultimate dream ... that I will find a long lost relative somewhere to help fill in the "holes".

                        In the meantime ... if you are interested ... (or if anyone out there is interested!) I have a few old post cards with pictures of Zbaraz that I could scan into my computer and send to you. I would most likely have to send them to you "off list" ... so let me know if you would like to receive them!

                        :-)

                        Cathy

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                          Richard Coleman wrote:

                          > If I have relatives in the Zbarazh area I have not discovered it yet, though
                          > I suppose it is a good possibility. My grandfather had 5 siblings who
                          > stayed in the old country, according to the information I have. It would be
                          > reasonable to assume that I have distant cousins there, though I have yet to
                          > be able to afford to look any further than what the free sites are able to
                          > give me.

                          Are your people Ukrainians, Poles, Jews, Germans, or other?

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                            Hello Cathy,

                            Photos can be uploaded to the groups photos or files area.
                            Upload to the files area because there members can access an
                            enlargement.

                            --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, KatarzynaWalowa@c...
                            wrote:

                            > Good Morning Richard!
                            >
                            > You are fortunate, indeed, to have your mother's genealogy handed
                            to you! That is my ultimate dream ... that I will find a long lost
                            relative somewhere to help fill in the "holes".

                            > In the meantime ... if you are interested ... (or if anyone out
                            there is interested!) I have a few old post cards with pictures of
                            Zbaraz that I could scan into my computer and send to you. I would
                            most likely have to send them to you "off list" ... so let me know if
                            you would like to receive them!

                            > :-)
                            >
                            > Cathy

                            > From: "Richard Coleman" <drjekyll@h...>
                            > I don't recall Mom ever saying her father went back and forth
                            between Pen
                            > Argyl and Zbarazh, though it could have taken place in the years my
                            > grandparents were separated. He was alcoholic and abusive. I
                            know people
                            > whom Mom kept in touch with could never understand why they lived
                            so poor,
                            > because he had a dangerous job in the slate quarries, a job few men
                            would
                            > do, so he not only had a good paying job, but a steady one as well,
                            even
                            > during the depression. When he died in 1938, he had $10,000 in the
                            bank
                            > under 3 different names. I think that was a princely sum in those
                            days.

                            > As I am sure you have found too, there are many discrepancies in
                            the old
                            > records. IF I stick to the birth dates in the records, there are
                            more holes
                            > than if I ignore the dates and try to make the most sense of the
                            > relationships without the dates. I was fortunate to get a list
                            from my
                            > mother's 85 year old cousin from Steubenville a few years back
                            that, while
                            > it may not be entirely accurate, ahs given me a fine starting
                            point. That
                            > is where I learned about Zbarazh. It is a whole lot better on my e-
                            wife's
                            > side. I have a genealogy on her maternal grandmother that goes all
                            the way
                            > back to when her German ancestors came over in 1796.
                            >
                            > On her paternal grandmother's side, she may be related to Albert
                            Speer, the
                            > Nazi war criminal! Interesting combination, considering that my
                            family may
                            > have been Sephardic Jews, wouldn't you say? LOL.
                            >

                            > I hadn't looked into the microfilm records yet, but this
                            correspondence with
                            > you has gotten me interested in working on the genealogy again.
                            Happy
                            > hunting!
                            >

                            > Richard
                            >

                            > _____

                            Service.

                            > _____
                            >
                            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                            >

                            > * Visit your group "Galicia_Poland-Ukraine
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Galicia_Poland-Ukraine> " on the web.

                            subject=Unsubscri

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                              All I was ever told growing up was that my family was Polish and Roman
                              Catholic. They belonged to St. Elizabeth's R.C. Church in Pen Argyl, Pa. as
                              children, though their baptism papers are most likely at Our Lady of Mount
                              Carmel R.C. Church in Roseto, Pa., which is one town over and supplied their
                              priest in the early days. It has only been since I received some family
                              tree information form my mother' s cousin that I have found out that they
                              were from Zbarazh, Galicia, and may have been Sephardic Jews. I knew that
                              when I was a small child in the early 50s, their was a Ukrainian family
                              living in our neighborhood for a few years. The old grandmother never
                              learned English, and between her Ukrainian and what Mom remembered of the
                              language she grew up with, which she always called Polish, they could
                              understand each other.

                              My ex wife's family was German and may have been related to Albert Speer,
                              the Nazi war criminal through my father in law's mother.

                              Richard

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                                After WWII, Poles in Soviet Ukraine were deported (to Poland, some to
                                Siberia). It will be unlikely that you'll find relatives in Zbarazh
                                area today.

                                Germans are no longer in Ukraine.

                                Small number of Jews are in Ukraine today.

                                Sephardic Jews:

                                http://www.jewfaq.org/ashkseph.htm

                                --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Coleman"

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                                  Albert Speer:

                                  http://www.trial-ch.org/trialwatch/profiles/en/facts/p113.html

                                  http://www.writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/Holocaust/speer.html

                                  http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/nuremberg.htm

                                  http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/nuremberg/Speer.html

                                  --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                                    Thanks, Lavrentiy!

                                    I will give it a try!

                                    Cathy
                                    From: "krupniak" <Lkrupnak@...>
                                    Hello Cathy,

                                    wrote:

                                    > Good Morning Richard!
                                    >
                                    > You are fortunate, indeed, to have your mother's genealogy handed
                                    to you! That is my ultimate dream ... that I will find a long lost
                                    relative somewhere to help fill in the "holes".

                                    > In the meantime ... if you are interested ... (or if anyone out
                                    there is interested!) I have a few old post cards with pictures of
                                    Zbaraz that I could scan into my computer and send to you. I would
                                    most likely have to send them to you "off list" ... so let me know if
                                    you would like to receive them!

                                    > :-)
                                    >
                                    > Cathy

                                    > From: "Richard Coleman" <drjekyll@h...>
                                    > I don't recall Mom ever saying her father went back and forth
                                    between Pen
                                    > Argyl and Zbarazh, though it could have taken place in the years my
                                    > grandparents were separated. He was alcoholic and abusive. I
                                    know people
                                    > whom Mom kept in touch with could never understand why they lived
                                    so poor,
                                    > because he had a dangerous job in the slate quarries, a job few men
                                    would
                                    > do, so he not only had a good paying job, but a steady one as well,
                                    even
                                    > during the depression. When he died in 1938, he had $10,000 in the
                                    bank
                                    > under 3 different names. I think that was a princely sum in those
                                    days.

                                    > As I am sure you have found too, there are many discrepancies in
                                    the old
                                    > records. IF I stick to the birth dates in the records, there are
                                    more holes
                                    > than if I ignore the dates and try to make the most sense of the
                                    > relationships without the dates. I was fortunate to get a list
                                    from my
                                    > mother's 85 year old cousin from Steubenville a few years back
                                    that, while
                                    > it may not be entirely accurate, ahs given me a fine starting
                                    point. That
                                    > is where I learned about Zbarazh. It is a whole lot better on my e-
                                    wife's
                                    > side. I have a genealogy on her maternal grandmother that goes all
                                    the way
                                    > back to when her German ancestors came over in 1796.
                                    >
                                    > On her paternal grandmother's side, she may be related to Albert
                                    Speer, the
                                    > Nazi war criminal! Interesting combination, considering that my
                                    family may
                                    > have been Sephardic Jews, wouldn't you say? LOL.
                                    >

                                    > I hadn't looked into the microfilm records yet, but this
                                    correspondence with
                                    > you has gotten me interested in working on the genealogy again.
                                    Happy
                                    > hunting!
                                    >

                                    > Richard
                                    >

                                    > _____

                                  • Sonia van Heerden
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                                      I have brought down to Florida with me the book on Zbarazh which I indicated
                                      I would look through and try to translate the index.

                                      So, within the next few weeks that will be my project, and I can send out
                                      this index on this group.

                                      Sonia