Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Mastowszcryrno Gub Sunatz?

  • Roman
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 2005
      Carol,

      You need to be much more specific when asking us about these things.

      What is "the LDS" site? There is no such thing. The normal thing to do
      here is to copy into your note and provide us with the actual URL of the
      site.

      And even that forces us to do the look-up. Provide the actual URL of the
      result page so one can directly go to it.

      By the way, the town name and the gubernia name are both clearly
      misspelled. And without the original document available to verify these
      names or come up with alternatives, we will find it difficult to answer
      your question.

      The ending of the town is likely -wszczyzno or -wszczyzna. The gubernia
      might well be "Suwalki".

      Roman

      Gipson, Carol (MNPD) wrote:
      > It is an entry in the International Genealogical Index (IGI). If you go to the LDS web site and type in Casimir Komorowski, you will be able to view it. It is his marriage record. That is what it has listed under "Birth"

    • Gipson, Carol (MNPD)
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 2005
        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=ancestorsearchresults.asp

        > It is an entry in the International Genealogical Index (IGI). If you go to the LDS web site and type in Casimir Komorowski, you will be able to view it. It is his marriage record. That is what it has listed under "Birth"

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Gipson, Carol (MNPD)
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 2, 2005
          Roman,

          I apologize for not following apparent protocol. The site I mentioned in my query is what I have heard referred to as the "LDS web site" It is the Family History Library (LDS Church) at: www.familysearch.com I assumed incorrectly that most would know what I meant.

          I did try to send the URL (see previous reply to Laurence Krupnak) by cutting/pasting the address in the bar at the top of my screen, but that does not appear to work. It will not take you back to the actual "result page" just the general web site.

          Being new to European searching I didn't have a clue what these words were supposed to represent. I assume from your response that it is intended to be a town and "gubernia," somewhere in Poland perhaps. Thanks for the information anyway.

          Gipson, Carol (MNPD) wrote:
          > It is an entry in the International Genealogical Index (IGI). If you go to the LDS web site and type in Casimir Komorowski, you will be able to view it. It is his marriage record. That is what it has listed under "Birth"

          Dvd <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Dvd+region+free&w1=Dvd+region+free&w2=All+regions+dvd+player&w3=Galicia&c=3&s=62&.sig=JXKRs56KItfztUFuUygR1Q> region free All <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=All+regions+dvd+player&w1=Dvd+region+free&w2=All+regions+dvd+player&w3=Galicia&c=3&s=62&.sig=PdLVLFUTXbqXP6GIvoP7TA> regions dvd player Galicia <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Galicia&w1=Dvd+region+free&w2=All+regions+dvd+player&w3=Galicia&c=3&s=62&.sig=MlCxj4yICdKAGFe2Mpyxhg>

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 2, 2005
            or Gub is Gut, German word for estate.

            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 2005
              "Gipson, Carol (MNPD)" wrote:

              > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=ancestorsearchresults.asp

              Get this LDS microfilm to confirm the spelling in the IGI:

              http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=filmhitlist&columns=*%2C180%2C0&filmno=1299328

            • Irene Johnson
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 2, 2005
                I don't know if this will help or just add fuel to the fire, but when I sent
                in my own Ukrainian father's name, I had all the correct localities etc.
                right from the certificates of baptism, but someone in the IGI department,
                in their infinite wisdom, thought that they knew better than me, and put in
                some strange locality and country, so that he is recorded in a totally
                different place! They used maps at that time, to try and reference the
                locality, little knowing that their maps were useless. Over time, various
                people have done various things with the IGI, so please do not expect
                correct localities in it for the former Eastern bloc countries. Just use it
                as a general guide, if that. It is best used in British countries, and I
                know of SOME good German extraction, but otherwise, don't count on it for
                accuracy. Go to the original source, if possible. Either contact the person
                who submitted it or look up the original records from which it was
                extracted. By the way, once in the IGI incorrectly, it is there to stay.
                Believe me, I tried to get it corrected and was in the best position to be
                able to do so! The best way to make a correction is to share a GEDCOM on a
                reputable site (with listed sources, of course) or create your own website,
                again with all your documentation listed.

                Irene Johnson (former FHL cataloger)
                Host of "Relatively Speaking" streaming on www.utaham820.com
                Sundays 4-6 pm mountain standard time
              • Carol Hughes Gipson
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 2, 2005
                  Thanks a lot Irene. I will try your suggestions.
                  Carol

                  --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Irene Johnson"

                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 2, 2005
                    I appreciate your help.

                    --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Laurence Krupnak
                    <Lkrupnak@e...> wrote:

                    > "Gipson, Carol (MNPD)" wrote:
                    >
                    > > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/frameset_search.asp?
                    PAGE=ancestorsearchresults.asp

                    > Get this LDS microfilm to confirm the spelling in the IGI:

                    http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.
                    asp?display=filmhitlist&columns=*%2C180%2C0&filmno=1299328

                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Galicia_Poland-Ukraine> " on the web.

                    subject=Unsubscribe>

                    Terms of Service < http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
                      Hello Irene,

                      What did you submit and what's in the IGI?

                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
                        Hello Carol,

                        There is no protocol!

                        Roman and I are just suggesting, in response to your inquiry, to
                        people that when they want help they should make it as easy as possible
                        for people to help. We are all volunteers...i.e., Yahoo doesn't pay
                        people who respond or provide to help people on their mailing lists.

                        "Gipson, Carol (MNPD)" wrote:

                        > Roman,
                        >
                        > I apologize for not following apparent protocol. The site I mentioned in my query is what I have heard referred to as the "LDS web site" It is the Family History Library (LDS Church) at: www.familysearch.com I assumed incorrectly that most would know what I meant.
                        >
                        > I did try to send the URL (see previous reply to Laurence Krupnak) by cutting/pasting the address in the bar at the top of my screen, but that does not appear to work. It will not take you back to the actual "result page" just the general web site.
                        >
                        > Being new to European searching I didn't have a clue what these words were supposed to represent. I assume from your response that it is intended to be a town and "gubernia," somewhere in Poland perhaps. Thanks for the information anyway.
                        >
                        > Carol

                      • Irene Johnson
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
                          Hello Lavrentiy,

                          I submitted Mistyce, Ukraine, and they put in Myschinez, Warszawskiego,
                          Poland, which did not thrill me, and would give my dad absolute fits.

                          I realize that there are now various spellings for Mistyce, but that is the
                          spelling on the baptismal certificate (and on the now microfilmed records)
                          and at the time of submittal (1978) the IGI department knew very little, if
                          anything, of the Ukraine.

                          I know you have told me before, but take pity on me and tell me again, what
                          is the correct way to list the locality these days? Mistyce, ?????, L'Viv,
                          Ukraine, or just Mistyce, L'Viv, Ukraine?

                          Irene of the failing memory. (Who really is trying to clean up her locality
                          files)
                          PS: For what it's worth, dad was born in L'Viv and baptized in Mistyce.
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
                            Irene Johnson wrote:

                            > I submitted Mistyce, Ukraine, and they put in Myschinez, Warszawskiego,
                            > Poland, which did not thrill me, and would give my dad absolute fits.
                            > I realize that there are now various spellings for Mistyce, but that is the
                            > spelling on the baptismal certificate (and on the now microfilmed records)
                            > and at the time of submittal (1978) the IGI department knew very little, if
                            > anything, of the Ukraine. I know you have told me before, but take pity on me and tell me again, what
                            > is the correct way to list the locality these days? Mistyce, ?????, L'Viv,
                            > Ukraine, or just Mistyce, L'Viv, Ukraine?

                            Current place name is Mystychi, Ukraine

                            Mistyce, Galicia (Austria) (prior to WWI)

                            Mistyce, Poland (between WWI and WWII)

                            Mistichi, Soviet Ukraine (end of WWII to 1991)

                            Mystychi, Ukraine (1991 - )

                            BTW, "Myschinez" appears in the following webpage:

                            http://www.hicleones.com/Buchstabe-M.php

                            > Irene of the failing memory. (Who really is trying to clean up her locality
                            > files)
                            > PS: For what it's worth, dad was born in L'Viv and baptized in Mistyce.

                            Was he a Pole or Ukrainian?

                          • Irene Johnson
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
                              Dad was definitely Ukrainian, even though the family lived close to the
                              Polish border. The family records in Mistyce go back to the beginning of
                              records in the town which is ca. 1799. All relatives so far in neighboring
                              villages also go back to the beginning of records there. Of course, before
                              that, who knows. When the 5 or 6 visiting Ukrainian Archivists came to SLC
                              about 5 years ago and in the course of their tour had a look at my files,
                              they indicated that one of my names was Romanian, and twit that I am, I did
                              not note which one and have since forgotten - on my grandmother's lines - so
                              obviously somewhere there was some migration.

                              By the way, I have nothing against a Polish heritage, just against the
                              change in the recording of the place name. I have since acquired quite a few
                              Polish relatives and that tickles me no end. I am so tired of bigotry.

                              Thanks for the clarification and may all have a blessed Christmas season.
                              Irene Johnson
                            • Irene Johnson
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
                                Hello again Lavrentiy:

                                The web page http://www.hicleones.com/Buchstabe-M.php
                                gives yet another spelling, namely: Mistycze and I think "Heavens Above"
                                gives more again so I have about decided to stick with the spelling in the
                                church registers and provide a note in the locality part of my program
                                (Legacy) giving all the alternative spellings and their time periods. I
                                think that as anyone who wants to check my sources would go to the films of
                                the church records, that would probably be the best (for me, anyway).

                                What is everyone else doing to standardize their spelling of localities -
                                not surnames, just localities?

                                (By the way, Mat's reference to the list of places for the L'viv Consistory
                                films is on their way into the LDS catalog.)

                                Irene Johnson - former FHL cataloger
                                (my broadcast tomorrow is with Paula Stuart-Warren who is going to talk
                                about gifts to and from family historians! Yay!!! I will make a list.)

                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
                                  Irene Johnson wrote:

                                  > Dad was definitely Ukrainian, even though the family lived close to the
                                  > Polish border. The family records in Mistyce go back to the beginning of
                                  > records in the town which is ca. 1799. All relatives so far in neighboring
                                  > villages also go back to the beginning of records there. Of course, before
                                  > that, who knows. When the 5 or 6 visiting Ukrainian Archivists came to SLC
                                  > about 5 years ago and in the course of their tour had a look at my files,
                                  > they indicated that one of my names was Romanian, and twit that I am, I did
                                  > not note which one and have since forgotten - on my grandmother's lines - so
                                  > obviously somewhere there was some migration.

                                  Provide your maternal line names and we'll figure it out.

                                  > By the way, I have nothing against a Polish heritage, just against the
                                  > change in the recording of the place name.

                                  Most often town names were not changed, only the spelling changed (e.g.,
                                  L'viv became Lwow).

                                  Here is an example of change in name:

                                  Uke town of Zhovkva was changed by Poles (Jan Sobieski) in 1600s to
                                  Zolkiew. Soviets didn't like Zhovkva or Zolkiew so they, in 1951,
                                  changed it to Nesterov, after Pavel Nesterov, who was a Soviet mining
                                  engineer. Why after Pavel Nesterov? - north of Zhovkva area some mining
                                  is performed (in Belz area). The Soviet Union "acquired" the Belz area
                                  from Poland in 1951. They gave to Poland land west of the San River
                                  south of Sanok in exchange.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
                                    Irene Johnson wrote:

                                    > Hello again Lavrentiy:
                                    >
                                    > The web page http://www.hicleones.com/Buchstabe-M.php
                                    > gives yet another spelling, namely: Mistycze

                                    Mistycze is a different place.

                                    > and I think "Heavens Above"
                                    > gives more again so I have about decided to stick with the spelling in the
                                    > church registers and provide a note in the locality part of my program
                                    > (Legacy) giving all the alternative spellings and their time periods. I
                                    > think that as anyone who wants to check my sources would go to the films of
                                    > the church records, that would probably be the best (for me, anyway).
                                    >
                                    > What is everyone else doing to standardize their spelling of localities -
                                    > not surnames, just localities?
                                    >
                                    > (By the way, Mat's reference to the list of places for the L'viv Consistory
                                    > films is on their way into the LDS catalog.)

                                    That will make Matt happy (can his server handle the load) ;-).

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
                                      And, "Myschinez" is a different place.

                                      Laurence Krupnak wrote:

                                      > Irene Johnson wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hello again Lavrentiy:
                                      > >
                                      > > The web page http://www.hicleones.com/Buchstabe-M.php
                                      > > gives yet another spelling, namely: Mistycze
                                      >
                                      > Mistycze is a different place.
                                      >
                                      > > and I think "Heavens Above"
                                      > > gives more again so I have about decided to stick with the spelling in the
                                      > > church registers and provide a note in the locality part of my program
                                      > > (Legacy) giving all the alternative spellings and their time periods. I
                                      > > think that as anyone who wants to check my sources would go to the films of
                                      > > the church records, that would probably be the best (for me, anyway).
                                      > >
                                      > > What is everyone else doing to standardize their spelling of localities -
                                      > > not surnames, just localities?
                                      > >
                                      > > (By the way, Mat's reference to the list of places for the L'viv Consistory
                                      > > films is on their way into the LDS catalog.)
                                      >
                                      > That will make Matt happy (can his server handle the load) ;-).
                                      >

                                      > > Irene Johnson - former FHL cataloger
                                      > > (my broadcast tomorrow is with Paula Stuart-Warren who is going to talk
                                      > > about gifts to and from family historians! Yay!!! I will make a list.)

                                      > > Current place name is Mystychi, Ukraine
                                      > >
                                      > > .
                                      > > .
                                      > > .
                                      > >
                                      > > Mistyce, Galicia (Austria) (prior to WWI)
                                      > >
                                      > > Mistyce, Poland (between WWI and WWII)
                                      > >
                                      > > Mistichi, Soviet Ukraine (end of WWII to 1991)
                                      > >
                                      > > Mystychi, Ukraine (1991 - )
                                      > >
                                      > > BTW, "Myschinez" appears in the following webpage:
                                      > >
                                      > > http://www.hicleones.com/Buchstabe-M.php
                                      > >

                                      > > > Irene of the failing memory. (Who really is trying to clean up her
                                      > > locality
                                      > > > files)
                                      > > > PS: For what it's worth, dad was born in L'Viv and baptized in Mistyce.
                                      > >
                                      > > Was he a Pole or Ukrainian?
                                      > >
                                      > > ______
                                      > >
                                      > > Lavrentiy
                                      > >
                                      > > .

                                    • Irene Johnson
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
                                        AARGH!

                                        Irene

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
                                          I apologize. Heavens Above has Mistychi spelled correctly. A question then,
                                          can I use the neighboring town spellings as spelled and assume that they are
                                          correct? (In the modern version?)

                                          Irene Johnson

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
                                            An interesting question in its own right. How do I know that a location
                                            (actually any proper noun) has been spelled correctly? I believe the
                                            only answer is - you can never know for sure unless you place certain
                                            conditions on your spelling requirements.

                                            And these conditions are, at a minimum, both time and language and then
                                            additionally, an authoritative source (that published the name without
                                            typographic errors).

                                            Each authoritative reference, be it a dictionary, encyclopedia or atlas,
                                            will be written in a certain language in a certain time period. So all
                                            we can say is that a place was given a name within those parameters.

                                            That simply leads me to use a favorite (I don't use the word "correct")
                                            spelling and language theme in my documents and then, should the
                                            occasion arise, list variants on that favorite. It's the only way to
                                            maintain some amount of rationality.

                                            Cheers,

                                            Roman

                                            Irene Johnson wrote:
                                            > I apologize. Heavens Above has Mistychi spelled correctly. A question then,
                                            > can I use the neighboring town spellings as spelled and assume that they are
                                            > correct? (In the modern version?)
                                            >
                                            > Irene Johnson

                                          • Irene Johnson
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
                                              "That simply leads me to use a favorite (I don't use the word "correct")
                                              spelling and language theme in my documents and then, should the occasion
                                              arise, list variants on that favorite. It's the only way to maintain some
                                              amount of rationality." - said Roman.

                                              I would use the word consistency where you have used rationality, Roman, but
                                              it amounts to the same thing in the end, and I agree with using a "favorite"
                                              spelling and language theme. I have ended up doing the same with the names
                                              of people as well, as I have found variations in the records that can be
                                              confusing. Abbreviations and nicknames are used interchangeably for given
                                              names, and family names (surnames) are not always as stable as one would
                                              like.

                                              Thanks for your comments (especially as your thoughts agree with mine :-) )

                                              Irene Johnson
                                            • Irene Johnson
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
                                                "Most often town names were not changed, only the spelling changed (e.g.,
                                                L'viv became Lwow)."

                                                Lavrentiy, I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the
                                                people in the IGI Department changing town names. THAT disturbed me!

                                                Irene Johnson
                                              • Irene Johnson
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
                                                  > When the 5 or 6 visiting Ukrainian Archivists came to SLC
                                                  > about 5 years ago and in the course of their tour had a look at my files,
                                                  > they indicated that one of my names was Romanian, and twit that I am, I
                                                  did
                                                  > not note which one and have since forgotten - on my grandmother's lines -
                                                  so
                                                  > obviously somewhere there was some migration.

                                                  > Provide your maternal line names and we'll figure it out.

                                                  OK, here they are:
                                                  Domerecki
                                                  Szmorhun
                                                  Saganowski
                                                  Galinski
                                                  Boncio
                                                  Wertelecki
                                                  Zlydnik
                                                  Leskow
                                                  Twasko
                                                  Kucewicz
                                                  Dmiterkow
                                                  Andrusyszyn-Leskow
                                                  Czeryba
                                                  Strzelinski
                                                  Jarosz

                                                  The above all go back to the 1750-1780 time period and are mostly from
                                                  Wolczyszczowice (now Volchishchovitsa), just 2.4 km from Mistychi.
                                                  Irene Johnson
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 4, 2005
                                                    Hello Irene,

                                                    Which family name did Ukes say was a Romanian family name?

                                                    Irene Johnson wrote:

                                                    > > When the 5 or 6 visiting Ukrainian Archivists came to SLC
                                                    > > about 5 years ago and in the course of their tour had a look at my files,
                                                    > > they indicated that one of my names was Romanian, and twit that I am, I
                                                    > did
                                                    > > not note which one and have since forgotten - on my grandmother's lines -
                                                    > so
                                                    > > obviously somewhere there was some migration.
                                                    >
                                                    > > Provide your maternal line names and we'll figure it out.
                                                    >
                                                    > OK, here they are:
                                                    > Domerecki
                                                    > Szmorhun
                                                    > Saganowski
                                                    > Galinski
                                                    > Boncio
                                                    > Wertelecki
                                                    > Zlydnik
                                                    > Leskow
                                                    > Twasko
                                                    > Kucewicz
                                                    > Dmiterkow
                                                    > Andrusyszyn-Leskow
                                                    > Czeryba
                                                    > Strzelinski
                                                    > Jarosz
                                                    >
                                                    > The above all go back to the 1750-1780 time period and are mostly from
                                                    > Wolczyszczowice (now Volchishchovitsa), just 2.4 km from Mistychi.
                                                    > Irene Johnson
                                                  • Irene Johnson
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Dec 4, 2005
                                                      That's the problem, I can't remember! Just in case I'm wrong, here are all
                                                      the direct names on my dad's side as well:
                                                      Nowyckyj
                                                      Nakoneczny
                                                      Grygel
                                                      Ostalski
                                                      Olearnik
                                                      Jaszczyszyn
                                                      Bryczko
                                                      Iwaneczko
                                                      Zamryi
                                                      Semon
                                                      Proc

                                                      I have many, many other names of collateral lines, but they (the archivists)
                                                      only saw the pedigree lines, or direct ancestors. So your guess is as good
                                                      as anyones, or certainly better than mine! All of these names are taken from
                                                      the church records of Mistyce, Sanniki, Dydiatice, Wolostokow, Stojance, and
                                                      Wolczyszczowice (all old spelling) so if anyone asks if I have records of
                                                      anyone with the same surname but NOT from those parishes, I'm sorry, but no,
                                                      I don't.

                                                      Irene Johnson

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Dec 4, 2005
                                                        Irene Johnson wrote:

                                                        > That's the problem, I can't remember!

                                                        I see no Romanian family names.

                                                        > Just in case I'm wrong, here are all
                                                        > the direct names on my dad's side as well:
                                                        > Nowyckyj
                                                        > Nakoneczny
                                                        > Grygel
                                                        > Ostalski