Re Poswistajlo family

  • Angela
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
      I am researchin my family surname if possible could anyone help with my
      research
      I live in Australia and would like to hear from anyone that can assist
      me

      Thanks
      Angela Poswistajlo
    • Jim Onyschuk
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
        Hello Angela:

        When doing any name search one must first link that name to a specific
        location. We all start by submitting our name to a search and if someone has
        done that name search and posted it, you will have access to that research.

        I know of one person, with a common Polish name, who has found loads of
        information about his surname and there is a family of Polish nobility, with
        the same surname. Guess what. He is trying to link that family directly to
        his ancestors, so far with no luck. His problem is that his genealogical
        search is based on hopes of what he'll find and not on the reality of his
        family background. I have asked him, "Have you located the birth records of
        your father/mother and their parents?" "Have you worked backwards, solidly
        linking your ancestors through their birth records?" He hasn't and he finds
        it rather enjoyable implying that he is somehow linked to this family of
        fame. Maybe by chance he may find the link--somehow I doubt it.

        Start With Yourself

        Write down what you already know about your family and yourself. Use a
        Pedigree Chart, also called an Ancestral Chart, to write the information you
        already know about yourself and your family. If you do not know exact dates
        and places, estimate them.

        Review what is missing

        Circle or highlight any missing or incomplete information on the Pedigree
        Chart. For example, you are not sure of where your parents got married. This
        directs you to finding their marriage certificate. You will probably find
        lots of incomplete information as you fill out the Pedigree Chart such as,
        "Do you know who your Great-Grandparents were?" There were eight of them.
        Decide on what information is easiest to get, get it and work from there.
        Also crucial is knowing their religion. Were they Greek Catholic, Roman
        Catholic or other.

        What Information do you Already Have?

        Gather all your records. Start with the records you already have in your
        possession and gather them into one place. If you do not have any records,
        ask your relatives if they have any and if they can share them with you.
        Organize them and see what family history information already exists.

        Talk to your Family

        Explain to your family and family friends that you are compiling a family
        history and you need their help. Record any useful information and stories
        they may have. Ask them if they have any birth, marriage, and death
        certificates, letters, pictures or other records that may apply.

        STEPS TO FINDING AN ANCESTOR

        Step One: Locate their birthplace. It is crucial that you know the exact
        place of their birth. Ask a relative for the name of the village/town plus
        the name of a nearby larger town the birth village/town. There may be a
        number of similar named villages, so you have to situate the correct town by
        knowing what other town it is near. If you don’t have a relative who can
        direct you, then there are a number of documents, which can reveal the name
        of the village/town. Your ancestor probably filled out Naturalization papers
        at some point. If you write to the archives in Ukraine, asking for
        information, they will only search a name if they know the exact location
        and their religion.

        You will next have to determine what parish that village belonged to. If it
        was a small village, Greek Catholics may have gone to church in a larger
        nearby village and Roman Catholics to an even different village. So you must
        link the village to the parish (based on the religion). This information
        will be found in a Gazetteer, such as Brian Lenius's "Genealogical Gazetteer
        of Galicia."

        Step Two:

        Search the Family History Library for any microfilms on the village's
        parish. Go to http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
        This is the search page of the Family History Center Catalog. Click on the
        “Place Search” button. On the page it brings up, in the Place window input
        the village parish name. Next press the Search button. It will bring up a
        Search Results page with one or more underlined URLs. Click on the first
        URL. It will bring up a Place Details page. Click on the URL in the Topics
        section. It will bring up a Topic Details page. Click on the URL in the
        Titles section. It will bring up a Titles Detail page. Scroll to the bottom
        of this page and you will find a line, which reads “For a printable version
        of this record click here then click your browser's Print button.” Click the
        here URL and print out the resulting page. It will list the films that are
        available and the type of record (birth, marriage, death) and the years
        covered. Note that the terms for birth, marriage and death might be written
        in Polish. Akta urodzen/birth, malzenstw/marriage, zgonów/death.

        Step Three:

        Go to your nearest Family History Center and order the films. The film
        rentals are very reasonable and you get them for a 30-day period to review
        at the Family History Center. They will call you when the film is in,
        usually in 2-3 weeks. You then book time on their microfilm reader. They
        will place the film in a filing cabinet for you after each viewing (the film
        remains on their premises). You can renew the films for additional 30-day
        periods.

        Step Four:

        Start with the nearest time frame and work backwards in time. If a film
        lists births from 1865 to 1902, start from 1902 and scroll back to 1865.
        Note down the details for each family name you encounter and in particular,
        the house number. This will tell you where each family resided. There may be
        a number of families with the same name in the village. While, they were
        probably related in some way, using the house number keeps your research
        centered on one family at a time.

        Step Five:

        Join a genealogy group. Look for a Ukrainian or Polish genealogy group in
        your locale. If there are none, then join a general group.

        I do list the process for a search at:
        http://www.torugg.org/
        Click on "Researching Your Roots" on the navigation bar on the left side.

        I hope this gets you started.

        Regards,
        Jim Onyschuk
        http://www.onyschuk.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
          Angela wrote:

          > I am researchin my family surname if possible could anyone help with my
          > research
          > I live in Australia and would like to hear from anyone that can assist
          > me
          >
          > Thanks
          > Angela Poswistajlo

          ********

          Ukrainians?

          Determine their place.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
            Laurence Krupnak wrote:

            > Angela wrote:
            > >
            > > I am researchin my family surname if possible could anyone help with my
            > > research
            > > I live in Australia and would like to hear from anyone that can assist
            > > me
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > > Angela Poswistajlo
            >
            > ********