Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Taking Off Shoes in Polish Homes

  • Mary-Ann
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 6, 2005
      Wasyl,
      Here is a recipe for "city chicken" (along with others). Hope this brings back pleasant memories.
      http://www.coalregion.com/Recipes/citychicken.htm

      Mary-Ann
      Rockledge, FL
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 6, 2005
        Hi,

        So if its pork and veal, why is it called city chicken ???

        Maryann Clark
        California

        Mary-Ann <bensings@...> wrote:
        Wasyl,
        Here is a recipe for "city chicken" (along with others). Hope this brings back pleasant memories.
        http://www.coalregion.com/Recipes/citychicken.htm

        Mary-Ann
        Rockledge, FL
        Whoops. I must have missed something. I was raised on "city chicken". And I haven't heard that term for 40 years. Does anyone have a recipe? What is the Rusyn term for the dish?
        Wasyl
        Were those meat sticks also used to make "city chicken" - not chicken at all?

        Maryann

        Dvd region free All regions dvd player

      • MA Bensh
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 11, 2005
          Alex - Regarding kitchen and eating habits on varying levels. My family had an Italian friend who had a house with a basement fully equiped for cooking and entertaining too. Also, another friend who was German had grandparents with a basement set up for entertaining as well. This might be more widespread than we realize.

          alex kachmar <alkachmar@...> wrote:Barbara - You've inadvertently solved a mystery which I have wondered about
          all my life.

          I have an aunt who once resided in Chicago and was married to a Polish
          gentleman. Whenever we visited them we noticed that they kept their upstairs
          in showhome condition and did all their cooking, eating, entertaining and
          presumably sleeping in the basement. This was the social center of the
          house. I now understand that it was probably a cultural thing hearkening
          back to the open old country village home. I always thought it was my aunts
          family's peculiarity that they did this but now realize it was a common
          practice.

          On the matter of taking off ones shoes in the home I would theorize that
          this is probably more typical in rural/peasant cultures and smaller
          dwellings since the "upper" classes had larger homes with appropriate
          entrances and means of conveying themselves from point to point in such a
          way that they would not have dirtied their boots or shoes. As a result they
          would not take them off when entering their homes. I would be interested to
          know what the practice was generally in America over the last 200 years and
          if it varied from region to region. I would assume so.

          Anyway its interesting how some of these old habits survive down the
          generations far removed from their origins.

          Alex K

          >From: Barbara Brown Allen <thyword21@...>
          >To: Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Taking Off Shoes in Polish Homes
          >Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:16:21 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
          >
          >All my Chinese friends talke off their shoes before entering the house.
          >There are slippers for
          >every visitor who does not bring his/her own. The idea is that there are
          >shoes for the street
          >and shoes for the home.
          >
          >When I was a teen-ager, we lived in a Polish neighborhood in Detroit. Not
          >only did you take
          >off your shoes, you went into the basement where all the "living" was done.
          >There was always
          >a kitchen down there where everyone congregated. The upstairs living room
          >and dining room were never used. My father was a Scotsman who did not
          >adhere to that
          >custom, so we used the basement for washing &ironing, dad's shop, the
          >pantry, the coal-bin, etc.
          >We lived on the main floor, congregating in the kitchen, with our street
          >shoes on.
          >
          >Barbara
          >looking for Smilski (Chorostkiw) & Kulikowski (Zastinoczke?)

          Dvd region free All regions dvd player

          ---------------------------------

          Melissa

        • alex kachmar
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 11, 2005
            Yes its quite curious. At the time I was given the grand tour of the main
            floor which had all the normal house coimponents ie kitchen, bathroom,
            bedrooms, living room dining room etc but these were only for viewing not
            living.

            lex

          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 12, 2005
              In discussing the passing fashions of living styles, it would be a
              great help to identify the decade in which the activity took place.
              I would expect different tendencies from different decades,
              reflecting the separation from the old country, the economy and
              habits of the residents.

              Ron

              --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, MA Bensh
              <mabensh@y...> wrote:

> [...]
              Detroit. Not
              > >only did you take
              > >off your shoes, you went into the basement where all the "living"
              was done.
              > >There was always
              > >a kitchen down there where everyone congregated. The upstairs
              living room
              > >and dining room were never used. My father was a Scotsman who
              did not
              > >adhere to that
              > >custom, so we used the basement for washing &ironing, dad's shop,
              the
              > >pantry, the coal-bin, etc.
              > >We lived on the main floor, congregating in the kitchen, with our
              street
              > >shoes on.
              > >
              > >Barbara
              > >looking for Smilski (Chorostkiw) & Kulikowski (Zastinoczke?)

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > Melissa

            • Barbara Brown Allen
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 12, 2005
                Hi Alex, and others who are loving this exchange --

                In Detroit's Polish homes, the furniture, including the lampshades, on the mian floor was always covered with clear plastic. And, the fabrics of the couch, chairs, & lampshades were white or other light & soft colors.

                My husband's father was a meter-reader for the gas company, and he said that the
                Polish & Ukrainian women's kitchen floors were so clean, you could "eat off of them."
                And these ladies always had some baked treat ready for him. This was 1930-40.

                Barbara

> [...]

                > >and shoes for the home.
                > >
                > >When I was a teen-ager, we lived in a Polish neighborhood in Detroit.
                >Not
                > >only did you take
                > >off your shoes, you went into the basement where all the "living" was
                >done.
                > >There was always
                > >a kitchen down there where everyone congregated. The upstairs living
                >room
                > >and dining room were never used. My father was a Scotsman who did not
                > >adhere to that
                > >custom, so we used the basement for washing &ironing, dad's shop, the
                > >pantry, the coal-bin, etc.
                > >We lived on the main floor, congregating in the kitchen, with our street
                > >shoes on.
                > >
                > >Barbara
                > >looking for Smilski (Chorostkiw) & Kulikowski (Zastinoczke?)

              • MA Bensh
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 12, 2005
                  Here goes for dates/decades:

                  Italian family - 1960s and 70s, not sure of immigration data
                  German family - 1980s, gparents born in Germany, not sure about parents, kids in US

                  Now I can add Greek family to list as they covered their home in plastic too. 1970s and they came straight from Greece in the 70s.

                  <mabensh@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                  Detroit. Not
                  > >only did you take
                  > >off your shoes, you went into the basement where all the "living"
                  was done.
                  > >There was always
                  > >a kitchen down there where everyone congregated. The upstairs
                  living room
                  > >and dining room were never used. My father was a Scotsman who
                  did not
                  > >adhere to that
                  > >custom, so we used the basement for washing &ironing, dad's shop,
                  the
                  > >pantry, the coal-bin, etc.
                  > >We lived on the main floor, congregating in the kitchen, with our
                  street
                  > >shoes on.
                  > >
                  > >Barbara
                  > >looking for Smilski (Chorostkiw) & Kulikowski (Zastinoczke?)

                  ---------------------------------

                  Melissa

                • amiak27
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 12, 2005
                    Thanks. I can add that inthe mid '60s we visited an old Slovak
                    couple in NY state and were taken into the parlor - after our dad
                    informed us of the honor we were accorded andhad us take off our
                    shoes, my introduction to that courtesy. Again, the parlor was
                    never used except on very special occasions. I haven't seen much of
                    that since then and presume I have been hanging out with the wrong
                    crowd. The kitchen was where all the real life took place.

                    <mabensh@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > >only did you take
                    > > >off your shoes, you went into the basement where all
                    the "living"
                    > was done.
                    > > >There was always
                    > > >a kitchen down there where everyone congregated. The upstairs
                    > living room
                    > > >and dining room were never used. My father was a Scotsman who
                    > did not
                    > > >adhere to that
                    > > >custom, so we used the basement for washing &ironing, dad's
                    shop,
                    > the
                    > > >pantry, the coal-bin, etc.
                    > > >We lived on the main floor, congregating in the kitchen, with
                    our
                    > street
                    > > >shoes on.
                    > > >
                    > > >Barbara
                    > > >looking for Smilski (Chorostkiw) & Kulikowski (Zastinoczke?)

                    Service.

                    > ---------------------------------
                    >

                    > Melissa

                  • seraph1818
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 12, 2005
                      Well, I have memories of visiting my Jewish Galician grandparents,
                      aunts, uncles on the Lower East Side of NY in the late 50's and
                      60's. Everything was covered in clear plastic and there was always a
                      bowl of fruit and goodies out to be munched on. This side of my
                      family had arrived in the U.S. in the mid 1920s. I don't recall the
                      relatives on the other side of my family furnishing their places
                      this way. They had arrived from Ukraine and Hungary in the very
                      early 1900s.

                      I think a discussion on the same topic, either here or on another
                      group mentioned that the 'nice' furniture with made to order plastic
                      covers was a sign that the family had made it in the new country.
                      This makes sense to me, as the family's purchase of this shows that
                      they were part of the new fashion trend. We moved away and I always
                      wondered if the plastic covers were ever removed! :-)

                      I don't think the plastic covers can be pinned on any one ethnicity,
                      but more likely just folks trying to show that they were fitting in
                      to a new society.

                      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...>
                      wrote:

> [...]
                      > > smaller
                      > > > dwellings since the "upper" classes had larger homes with
                      > > appropriate
                      > > > entrances and means of conveying themselves from point to
                      point
                      > in
                      > > such a
                      > > > way that they would not have dirtied their boots or shoes. As
                      > > result they
                      > > > would not take them off when entering their homes. I would be
                      > > interested to
                      > > > know what the practice was generally in America over the last
                      > 200
                      > > years and
                      > > > if it varied from region to region. I would assume so.
                      > > >
                      > > > Anyway its interesting how some of these old habits survive
                      down
                      > > the
                      > > > generations far removed from their origins.

                    • Wanda Bradley
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 12, 2005
                        I know people who did this also. I think it was to save the furniture so it did not wear out. Furniture was a big item to buy and it had to last a long time.
                        Wanda

                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 13, 2005
                          There are also SOME people who after receiving a new car would cover the
                          manufacturer's seat fabric or leather with seat covers and then cover
                          the seat covers with plastic!!! It's not an ethnicity trait ...it's
                          just weird people!!!!!!!

                          Then when they exited the car the got an electric shock:

                          Static Electricity:

                          http://www.amasci.com/emotor/zapped.html

                          http://www.satcure-focus.com/design/page7.htm

                          http://www.aces.edu/dept/extcomm/newspaper/nov11b03.html

                          Wanda Bradley wrote:

                          > I know people who did this also. I think it was to save the furniture so it did not wear out. Furniture was a big item to buy and it had to last a long time.
                          > Wanda

                        • Mary-Ann
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 13, 2005
                            I can remember my father buying a new car (probably his first NEW car) and at the time he sold it, it still had the protective covering on the back doors as it had when he bought it. I never considered him WEIRD Laurence. He had a very hard life growing up and I suppose that made him appreciate acquiring possessions more than the average "Joe" (or Larry)?
                            Mary-Ann
                            Rockledge, FL

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 13, 2005
                              Hello Mary-ANN,

                              You misinterpreted my humorous observation. People that use a cheap
                              cover to cover another cheap cover are weird.

                              I even knew people that placed bed sheets or the plastic which
                              covered the cheap seat cover which they placed over the manufacturer's
                              seat....!!!!

                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 13, 2005
                                They had to use bed sheets because the plastic got hot in the summer.

                                Laurence Krupnak wrote:

                                > Hello Mary-ANN,
                                >
                                > You misinterpreted my humorous observation. People that use a cheap
                                > cover to cover another cheap cover are weird.
                                >
                                > I even knew people that placed bed sheets or the plastic which
                                > covered the cheap seat cover which they placed over the manufacturer's
                                > seat....!!!!
                                >
                                > ________
                                >
                                > Lavrentiy
                                >
                                > Mary-Ann wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I can remember my father buying a new car (probably his first NEW car) and at the time he sold it, it still had the protective covering on the back doors as it had when he bought it. I never considered him WEIRD Laurence. He had a very hard life growing up and I suppose that made him appreciate acquiring possessions more than the average "Joe" (or Larry)?
                                > > Mary-Ann
                                > > Rockledge, FL

                              • cmw5551
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 13, 2005
                                  When I was a child, my grandparents had horsehair furniture in the
                                  living room...Boy was that uncomfortable! Sometime in the 1960's they
                                  bought new living room furniture, but we spent time in the kitchen, or
                                  the front room. They lived in an apartment. Well about 25 years
                                  later, we took the plastic off the living room funiture and laughed
                                  because each of the three pieces was a different color!

                                  --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "seraph1818"
                                  <seraph@d...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  > > > In discussing the passing fashions of living styles, it would be
                                  > > > great help to identify the decade in which the activity took
                                  > > place.
                                  > > > I would expect different tendencies from different decades,
                                  > > > reflecting the separation from the old country, the economy and
                                  > > > habits of the residents.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Ron
                                  > > >
                                  > > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, MA Bensh

                                  > > My
                                  > > > family had an Italian friend who had a house with a basement
                                  > fully
                                  > > > equiped for cooking and entertaining too. Also, another friend
                                  > > who
                                  > > > was German had grandparents with a basement set up for
                                  > > entertaining
                                  > > > as well. This might be more widespread than we realize.

                                  > > inadvertently
                                  > > > solved a mystery which I have wondered about

                                • MA Bensh
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 13, 2005
                                    We still have something of that ritual in this day and age - family rooms/dens vs. living rooms. I know plenty of people that only use living rooms on special occassions. Instead, they have family and most activities in the family room. In fact, I had one friend who had sold his small house in Jersey and had one built in NC. When I went to visit he lamented that the living room was a waste as they always entertained in the 'great room' - kitchen and family room.

                                    amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:Thanks. I can add that inthe mid '60s we visited an old Slovak

                                    <mabensh@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > > >only did you take
                                    > > >off your shoes, you went into the basement where all
                                    the "living"
                                    > was done.
                                    > > >There was always
                                    > > >a kitchen down there where everyone congregated. The upstairs
                                    > living room
                                    > > >and dining room were never used. My father was a Scotsman who
                                    > did not
                                    > > >adhere to that
                                    > > >custom, so we used the basement for washing &ironing, dad's
                                    shop,
                                    > the
                                    > > >pantry, the coal-bin, etc.
                                    > > >We lived on the main floor, congregating in the kitchen, with
                                    our
                                    > street
                                    > > >shoes on.
                                    > > >
                                    > > >Barbara
                                    > > >looking for Smilski (Chorostkiw) & Kulikowski (Zastinoczke?)

                                    Service.

                                    > Melissa

                                    Dvd region free All regions dvd player Galicia

                                    Melissa