Roman Catholics in Eastern Galicia (Ukraine Today)

  • Mary Pate
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2004
      I am still searching for my ancestors from eastern Galicia (now in Ukraine). My grandparents came from Hlibow, Roman Catholic parish in Grzymalow. However, I have not been able to find church records of some of the "great, etc" grandparents there.

      Does any one know of other Roman Catholic parishes in 19th century close to the one in Grzymalow?

      I did find LDS records for a Bogdanowka, Skalat, Roman Catholic Church. Is this close to Grzymalow?

      Any help appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Mary

      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2004
        Mary,

        To find the former RC churches that were near Hlibow you'll need
        to:

        1. Determine the names of all the towns near Hlibow. This can be
        done with Shtetlseeker's locrad.htm utility:

        http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/locrad.htm

        2. Then for each town found with locrad.htm determine if a RC parish
        was there. This can be done with Lenius' Genealogical Gazetteer of
        Galicia.

        There was a RC church in Skalat.

        Mary Pate wrote:

        > I am still searching for my ancestors from eastern Galicia (now in Ukraine). My grandparents came from Hlibow, Roman Catholic parish in Grzymalow. However, I have not been able to find church records of some of the "great, etc" grandparents there.
        >
        > Does any one know of other Roman Catholic parishes in 19th century close to the one in Grzymalow?
        >
        > I did find LDS records for a Bogdanowka, Skalat, Roman Catholic Church. Is this close to Grzymalow?
        >
        > Any help appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mary
      • Mary Pate
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2004
          Thank you, Laurence. I do have Lenius' Genealogical Gazeteer. Just didn't
          think of that.

          Thanks again,