Uscie Zeilone

  • James Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
      Hi, Lavrenty,

      I'm proofing my novel and am questioning the spelling of Uscie Zeilone. (I know the "s" has the diacritical mark.)

      I have a friend who thinks there is also a "j" in the first word: Ujscie.

      And when I asked you about the town, I think you had kind of a dash in the name. (Maybe that was in the place of the diacritical?)

      Anyway, I would appreciate your help. I just want the name of the town (down near Halicz) spelled correctly.

      Thanks!

      Jim

      James Conroyd Martin
      Author of Push Not the River
      www.PushNotTheRiver.com
      Nie ponaglaj rzeki a bestseller
      in Poland and at
      www.PolishHouseofBooks.com

    • Roman
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
        Jim,

        It's fairly straight-forward to do a Google search and get the answer
        you are seeking. One such result is in

        http://www.fallingrain.com/world/UP/0/UstyeZelenoye.html

        By the way, if you specify the language you wish to use, you will get a
        fair number of different answers.

        Roman

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
          Us~cie Zielone in Polish letters:

          http://www.narubiezy.republika.pl/

          (see Buczacz)

          ~ indicates the previous letter gets the appropriate diacritical mark.

          Here

          http://worsten.org/galicio/monasterzyska/weod_monasterzyska.htm

          ignore the Ujs~cie spelling.

          James Martin wrote:

          > Hi, Lavrenty,
          >
          > I'm proofing my novel and am questioning the spelling of Uscie Zeilone. (I know the "s" has the diacritical mark.)
          >
          > I have a friend who thinks there is also a "j" in the first word: Ujscie.
          >
          > And when I asked you about the town, I think you had kind of a dash in the name. (Maybe that was in the place of the diacritical?)
          >
          > Anyway, I would appreciate your help. I just want the name of the town (down near Halicz) spelled correctly.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Jim
          >
          > James Conroyd Martin
          > Author of Push Not the River
          > www.PushNotTheRiver.com
          > Nie ponaglaj rzeki a bestseller
          > in Poland and at
          > www.PolishHouseofBooks.com
        • Lindy Kasperski
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
            Jim:

            Both the Brian Lenius gazetteer (page A-144) and the Sl~ownik Geographiczny
            (Vol.12, page 834) have this spelling: U�cie Zielone or Us~cie Zielone. Note
            the proper spelling for Zielone as well. Maps and some other sources that I
            have access to for the Buczacz district, also use this spelling.

            The Lenius gazetteer indicates 5 Galician villages using Us~cie and 2 others
            using Ujs~cie.

            Lindy Kasperski

            www.lindykasperski.com <http://www.lindykasperski.com/>

            I'm proofing my novel and am questioning the spelling of Uscie Zeilone. (I
            know the "s" has the diacritical mark.)

            I have a friend who thinks there is also a "j" in the first word: Ujscie.

            And when I asked you about the town, I think you had kind of a dash in the
            name. (Maybe that was in the place of the diacritical?)

            Anyway, I would appreciate your help. I just want the name of the town (down
            near Halicz) spelled correctly.

            Thanks!

            Jim

            James Conroyd Martin
            Author of Push Not the River
            www.PushNotTheRiver.com
            Nie ponaglaj rzeki a bestseller
            in Poland and at
            www.PolishHouseofBooks.com

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "Galicia_Poland-Ukraine
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Galicia_Poland-Ukraine> " on the web.

            be>

          • James Martin
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
              Thanks to you, Linda, Lavrenty, and everyone on this!

              Best,

              Jim

              James Conroyd Martin
              Author of Push Not the River