Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Searching Marek Niemiec Pol>Chicago

  • nswanson@mchsi.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 2, 2005
      Sylvia

      Thanks for the encouragement. I will try the name with the spellings that you
      suggested. I have tried all versions of the name. Would you believe that his
      name was spelled Mence in the 1910 US census - if it wasn't for the names of
      the family listed for this person I would have ignored it.

      Naomi

      > Naomi,
      >
      > Do not give up. My family gave up, and came to the conclusion that he jumped a
      > freighter to the USA/Canada. So one day on the Ellis Island site, I came up with
      > a list of names with 'F', and scrolled down and followed the village list. I
      > found him! And of course, the spelling of his name, I would never have found it
      > in a million years, and as for the village, it was misspelled, but recognizable.
      >
      > With a name such as Niemiec, it could be spelled various of ways. The 'C' could
      > even be 'TS'.
      > Try Nemets.....Nimets'.....Nymets'
      >
      > Sylvia

    • Sylvia & Lorne Carpenter
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 2, 2005
        Naomi,

        Check Ellis Island for Nemanis Marko....immigrated to Chicago in 1899 at age 19, Austrian (ethnicity), place of residence, Dragaulijavas (does not sound familair to me, but could it be Drogobych, Drohobytsch, Drohobycz, Drogobycz?)
        There are 3 Nimets...Nimec listed in the Drohobych phone directory.

        Sylvia
        Thanks for the encouragement. I will try the name with the spellings that you
        suggested. I have tried all versions of the name. Would you believe that his
        name was spelled Mence in the 1910 US census - if it wasn't for the names of
        the family listed for this person I would have ignored it.

        Naomi

        > Naomi,
        >
        > Do not give up. My family gave up, and came to the conclusion that he jumped a
        > freighter to the USA/Canada. So one day on the Ellis Island site, I came up with
        > a list of names with 'F', and scrolled down and followed the village list. I
        > found him! And of course, the spelling of his name, I would never have found it
        > in a million years, and as for the village, it was misspelled, but recognizable.
        >
        > With a name such as Niemiec, it could be spelled various of ways. The 'C' could
        > even be 'TS'.
        > Try Nemets.....Nimets'.....Nymets'
        >
        > Sylvia

      • Mr.Jones
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 2, 2005
          Hello Sylvia i tried emailing the Jewish community in Ivano Frankovsk.I have received no reply.Can you try emailing them in the Ukraine lanuage.Maybe they do not understand English?There website has the email of the Rabbi Moshe Kolesnik.I am looking into the last name Zanger and Habel.Please reply Michael

          Sylvia & Lorne Carpenter <lorsyl@...> wrote:Naomi,

          Check Ellis Island for Nemanis Marko....immigrated to Chicago in 1899 at age 19, Austrian (ethnicity), place of residence, Dragaulijavas (does not sound familair to me, but could it be Drogobych, Drohobytsch, Drohobycz, Drogobycz?)
          There are 3 Nimets...Nimec listed in the Drohobych phone directory.

          Sylvia
          Thanks for the encouragement. I will try the name with the spellings that you
          suggested. I have tried all versions of the name. Would you believe that his
          name was spelled Mence in the 1910 US census - if it wasn't for the names of
          the family listed for this person I would have ignored it.

          Naomi

          > Naomi,
          >
          > Do not give up. My family gave up, and came to the conclusion that he jumped a
          > freighter to the USA/Canada. So one day on the Ellis Island site, I came up with
          > a list of names with 'F', and scrolled down and followed the village list. I
          > found him! And of course, the spelling of his name, I would never have found it
          > in a million years, and as for the village, it was misspelled, but recognizable.
          >
          > With a name such as Niemiec, it could be spelled various of ways. The 'C' could
          > even be 'TS'.
          > Try Nemets.....Nimets'.....Nymets'
          >
          > Sylvia

          Dvd region free All regions dvd player Galicia

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 2, 2005
            I don't know if this was already suggested, but it's possible that they came
            through Philadelphia or Baltimore ports. I found two of my four
            grandparents coming into Baltimore and going up to Pennsylvania in 1905.

            Maryann

          • nswanson@mchsi.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 2, 2005
              Maryann

              I have searched Philadelphia and Baltimore with no luck.

              Naomi

            • nswanson@mchsi.com
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 2, 2005
                Sylvia

                He sure looks like he could be the person that I am looking for. He is going
                to Chicago and is about the correct age. I have saved the passenger manifest
                so that I can print it and look at it further. Thanks for the help. The
                spelling is not one that I have thought of. I have said the name Niemiec over
                and over so that I could figure out how someone would write it.

                Naomi

                > Naomi,
                >
                > Check Ellis Island for Nemanis Marko....immigrated to Chicago in 1899 at age 19,
                > Austrian (ethnicity), place of residence, Dragaulijavas (does not sound familair
                > to me, but could it be Drogobych, Drohobytsch, Drohobycz, Drogobycz?)
                > There are 3 Nimets...Nimec listed in the Drohobych phone directory.
                >
                > Sylvia

                > > With a name such as Niemiec, it could be spelled various of ways. The 'C'
                > could
                > > even be 'TS'.
                > > Try Nemets.....Nimets'.....Nymets'
              • Frederick Kobylarz
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                  You may want to check the port of Boston. Sometimes the rail fare from
                  Boston to Chicago is included as part of the ticket.
                  Fred

                • nswanson@mchsi.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                    Fred

                    Yes, I am aware of the Port of Boston as that is where some of my Swedish
                    relatives entered this country. I have looked everywhere that I can think of
                    to locate my grandfather, Marek Niemiec. I still think that the Marko Nemanis
                    that I found is the best candidate to be my grandfather - still checking this
                    person out.

                    Naomi

                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005

                      Don't give up. Searching the the Ancestry.com and Ellis Island
                      often requires a great deal of work and ingenuity.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                        Mike,

                        Provide the rabbi's website.

                        What is the e-mail address?

                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                          Try a Canadian border crossing.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                            If Marko Nemanis is not from Poland - Austria he is not a candidate.

                          • nswanson@mchsi.com
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                              Laurence

                              The passenger manifest says he is from Austria. I am still keeping him on
                              hold. I also will look in the Canadian records as that is how my Swedish
                              grandfather came to the U.S. I am still looking for my Polish grandfather.
                              though.

                              Naomi

                              > If Marko Nemanis is not from Poland - Austria he is not a candidate.

                              > ________
                              >
                              > Lavrentiy

                              > nswanson@... wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Fred
                              > >
                              > > Yes, I am aware of the Port of Boston as that is where some of my Swedish
                              > > relatives entered this country. I have looked everywhere that I can think of
                              > > to locate my grandfather, Marek Niemiec. I still think that the Marko Nemanis
                              > > that I found is the best candidate to be my grandfather - still checking this
                              > > person out.
                              > >
                              > > Naomi
                            • seraph1818
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                I was going to suggest this, too. I did try the Baltimore,
                                Philadelphia and Boston ports last night, but could not find anyone
                                to fit the bill.

                                --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Laurence Krupnak
                                <Lkrupnak@e...> wrote:

                                > Try a Canadian border crossing.
                                >

                                > nswanson@m... wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Maryann
                                > >
                                > > I have searched Philadelphia and Baltimore with no luck.
                                > >
                                > > Naomi
                                > >
                                > > > I don't know if this was already suggested, but it's possible
                                that they came
                                > > > through Philadelphia or Baltimore ports. I found two of my
                                four
                                > > > grandparents coming into Baltimore and going up to
                                Pennsylvania in 1905.

                                > > > Maryann
                                > >

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • seraph1818
                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                  Excellent, catch, Naomi, if it is the right one. I tried all kinds
                                  of possible ways, but couldn't find anything.

                                  --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, nswanson@m... wrote:
                                  > Sylvia
                                  >
                                  > He sure looks like he could be the person that I am looking for.
                                  He is going
                                  > to Chicago and is about the correct age. I have saved the
                                  passenger manifest
                                  > so that I can print it and look at it further. Thanks for the
                                  help. The
                                  > spelling is not one that I have thought of. I have said the name
                                  Niemiec over
                                  > and over so that I could figure out how someone would write it.
                                  >
                                  > Naomi
                                  >

                                  > > Naomi,
                                  > >
                                  > > Check Ellis Island for Nemanis Marko....immigrated to Chicago in
                                  1899 at age 19,
                                  > > Austrian (ethnicity), place of residence, Dragaulijavas (does
                                  not sound familair
                                  > > to me, but could it be Drogobych, Drohobytsch, Drohobycz,
                                  Drogobycz?)
                                  > > There are 3 Nimets...Nimec listed in the Drohobych phone
                                  directory.

                                  > > Sylvia
                                  >
                                  > > > With a name such as Niemiec, it could be spelled various of
                                  ways. The 'C'
                                  > > could
                                  > > > even be 'TS'.
                                  > > > Try Nemets.....Nimets'.....Nymets'
                                • Mr.Jones
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                    Thankyou, the website is ww.fjc.ru/ivano-frankovsk The Rabbi is Moshe Kolesnik.I am looking for Reisel Zanger born in on or around 1892.Her father was Abraham Zanger and the mother last name before marriage was Habel.I think the town was Nadworna it is now called Nadvirna.Please reply Mike

                                    Laurence Krupnak <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:Mike,

                                    Provide the rabbi's website.

                                    What is the e-mail address?

                                    "Mr.Jones" wrote:

                                    > Hello Sylvia i tried emailing the Jewish community in Ivano Frankovsk.I have received no reply.Can you try emailing them in the Ukraine lanuage.Maybe they do not understand English?There website has the email of the Rabbi Moshe Kolesnik.I am looking into the last name Zanger and Habel.Please reply Michael
                                    >
                                    > Sylvia & Lorne Carpenter <lorsyl@...> wrote:Naomi,
                                    >
                                    > Check Ellis Island for Nemanis Marko....immigrated to Chicago in 1899 at age 19, Austrian (ethnicity), place of residence, Dragaulijavas (does not sound familair to me, but could it be Drogobych, Drohobytsch, Drohobycz, Drogobycz?)
                                    > There are 3 Nimets...Nimec listed in the Drohobych phone directory.
                                    >
                                    > Sylvia

                                    ---------------------------------

                                  • edward potereiko
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 4, 2005
                                      I noticed the prior e-mail at the bottom of this
                                      message, which would make it appear that one can
                                      search databases other than Ellis Island, online.

                                      To the best of my searching abilities I have not been
                                      able to locate my grandmother in the Ellis Island
                                      Database.

                                      How can one search Canadian, Boston, Phila, DC,
                                      online.

                                      Any suggestions ?

                                      Grandmother: Efrosina (Rose) Makuch (Makuh),
                                      came to the USA estimated 1906/1907,
                                      (definitely prior to 1910 as she was in Cohoes NY in
                                      1910, married her husband, Hryhoryj Poterejko, in
                                      Cohoes in 1909).

                                      Her date of birth is believed to be Oct 15, 1881,
                                      though based upon one document, it could be as late as
                                      1892.

                                      Place of birth: Myscowa/Myscova (part of Galicia or
                                      Austria-Hungary)
                                      !TOWN LOCATION: 49d.- 32' N, 21 d. - 30' E (Currently
                                      SE Poland, N of Polany and SW of Dukla)

                                      !POSSIBLE NAME VARIATIONS:
                                      Efrosina Makuch (Makuh)
                                      1. "Rose" ENFROSINIA MAKUCH (Cert of Baptism Mary
                                      Poteriko 22 Mar 1914 St Elias Roman Catholic Church,
                                      Brooklyn, NY)
                                      2. Gfrosina - On Declaration of Intention of husband

                                      3. Ephrosina
                                      4. Enfrosinia
                                      Efrosnia (2)
                                      MAKUCH, Eufrosina (Enfrosina) (3)
                                      MAKUCH, Euphrosina (Enfrosina) (4)

                                      !DATE OF BIRTH VARIATIONS: Age 28 (1910 Fed Census)
                                      supports 15 OCT 1981 to as late as 1892 based upon
                                      husband's petition for naturalization.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 4, 2005
                                        Could this be it?

                                        Makuch Frozia Galizien ledig 1888/1889 New York

                                        > From: edward potereiko <epotereiko9@...>
                                        > Date: 2005/10/04 Tue AM 09:15:57 CDT
                                        > To: Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, seraph@...
                                        > Subject: Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re: Searching Marek Niemiec Pol>Chicago

                                      • Sylvia & Lorne Carpenter
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 4, 2005
                                          Makuch Frozia Galizien ledig 1888/1889 New York.

                                          And I think the name is spelled, Makukh (in Ukrainian, Makyx)

                                          There are Makukh and Potereiko listed in the Lviv phone directory.

                                          Sylvia

                                          --- seraph1818 <seraph@...> wrote:

                                          > I was going to suggest this, too. I did try the
                                          > Baltimore,
                                          > Philadelphia and Boston ports last night, but could
                                          > not find anyone
                                          > to fit the bill.
                                          >
                                          > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com,
                                          > Laurence Krupnak
                                          > <Lkrupnak@e...> wrote:
                                          > >

                                          > > Try a Canadian border crossing.
                                          > >

                                          > > nswanson@m... wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Maryann
                                          > > >
                                          > > > I have searched Philadelphia and Baltimore with
                                          > no luck.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Naomi

                                          > but it's possible
                                          > that they came
                                          > found two of my
                                          > four
                                          > up to
                                          > Pennsylvania in 1905.

                                          > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          Yahoo! for Good

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 4, 2005
                                            Edward

                                            You can search Baltimore, Phila, Galveston,Boston on line using ancestry.com
                                            You can request microfilm from the Canadian Archives & Library through
                                            interlibrary loan. Their web site is:

                                            http://www.genealogy.gc.ca/10/100803_e.html

                                            I sent a request for microfilm for the year that my Swedish grandfather
                                            immigrated to this country - the request was made through my local library. I
                                            did give the reference librarian the information that I had gotten off the
                                            Canadian web site.

                                            Hope this helps you.

                                            Naomi

                                            > I noticed the prior e-mail at the bottom of this
                                            > message, which would make it appear that one can
                                            > search databases other than Ellis Island, online.
                                            >
                                            > To the best of my searching abilities I have not been
                                            > able to locate my grandmother in the Ellis Island
                                            > Database.
                                            >
                                            > How can one search Canadian, Boston, Phila, DC,
                                            > online.
                                            >
                                            > Any suggestions ?
                                          • Lindy Kasperski
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 4, 2005
                                              Just to add to the previous message: Canadian records for 1925-1935 are
                                              searchable online at:
                                              http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020118_e.html.

                                              Lindy Kasperski

                                              www.lindykasperski.com <http://www.lindykasperski.com/>

                                              You can search Baltimore, Phila, Galveston,Boston on line using ancestry.com
                                              You can request microfilm from the Canadian Archives & Library through
                                              interlibrary loan. Their web site is:

                                              http://www.genealogy.gc.ca/10/100803_e.html

                                              I sent a request for microfilm for the year that my Swedish grandfather
                                              immigrated to this country - the request was made through my local library.
                                              did give the reference librarian the information that I had gotten off the
                                              Canadian web site.

                                              Hope this helps you.

                                              Naomi

                                              > I noticed the prior e-mail at the bottom of this
                                              > message, which would make it appear that one can
                                              > search databases other than Ellis Island, online.
                                              >
                                              > To the best of my searching abilities I have not been
                                              > able to locate my grandmother in the Ellis Island
                                              > Database.
                                              >
                                              > How can one search Canadian, Boston, Phila, DC,
                                              > online.
                                              >
                                              > Any suggestions ?

                                              Dvd
                                              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Dvd+region+free&w1=Dvd+region+free&w2=A
                                              ll+regions+dvd+player&w3=Galicia&c=3&s=62&.sig=JXKRs56KItfztUFuUygR1Q>
                                              region free

                                              All
                                              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=All+regions+dvd+player&w1=Dvd+region+fr
                                              ee&w2=All+regions+dvd+player&w3=Galicia&c=3&s=62&.sig=PdLVLFUTXbqXP6GIvoP7TA
                                              > regions dvd player

                                              Galicia
                                              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Galicia&w1=Dvd+region+free&w2=All+regio
                                              ns+dvd+player&w3=Galicia&c=3&s=62&.sig=MlCxj4yICdKAGFe2Mpyxhg>

                                              _____

                                              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                              * Visit your group "Galicia_Poland-Ukraine
                                              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Galicia_Poland-Ukraine> " on the web.

                                              be>

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 5, 2005
                                                edward potereiko wrote:

                                                > How can one search Canadian, Boston, Phila, DC,
                                                > online.
                                                >
                                                > Any suggestions ?

                                                *********

                                                Ancestry.com