RE: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Frank Tyka Family

  • Jim Onyschuk
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hi Darrin:

      Checking the ShtetlSeeker, there are 23 Janowices listed.

      There are 4 Janowice villages listed in Lenius's Galizian Gazetteer.

      Janowice in the administrative district of Biala has its RC parish at nearby
      Bestwina.

      Janowice in the administrative district of Limanowa has its RC parish at
      nearby Skrzydlna. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.

      Janowice in the administrative district of Tarnow has its RC parish at
      nearby Zakliczyn. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.

      Janowice in the administrative district of Wieliczka has its RC parish at
      nearby Wieliczka. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.

      So you'll need to locate a nearby town to zero in on your Janowice.

      Your getting closer. You may want to check out,
      http://www.torugg.org/Researching%20Your%20Roots/researching_roots_steps.htm
      This page walks you through the search process.

      Regards,
      Jim Onyschuk

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2005
        Hello Darrin,

        Ellis Island immigration records are avialable via the Internet.
        Immigration records provide birthplace. Records for places in Galicia,
        now located in either Poland and Ukraine, are extant.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2005
          Hello Darrin,

          There are five places in Galicia with the name Janowice and one has
          the name Janowce.

          Darrin Silvester wrote:

          > Hello Jim:
          > I thank you so much for the quick note and assistence in my search. My
          > family came from Janowice in 1904. Franciczek Tyka came in March of that
          > year and his wife and family came in September 1904. Her name is Stefania,
          > son Thadius (Theodore), and a daughter Ewa (Evelyn). Two nephews arrived in
          > December 1909, one's name is Joseph Tyka and the other was Niklaj Palucki.
          > They all arrived in Ellis Island and made their way to Wilkesbarre,
          > Pennsylvania. My grandmother, a daughter of theirs born in 1910 was Catholic
          > as is my mother. My grandmother once told me that her father was quite
          > religious and spent much of his time their as he got older and lived in
          > Detroit. Hopefully that answers a few of the questions. How might I find a
          > Polish family, living in Janowice, Galicia and was of the catholic faith.
          > Thanks for any leads you might give me, I really appreciate it.
          > Darrin Silvester
          >
          > On 9/30/05, Jim Onyschuk <jodanji@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Darrin:
          > >
          > > You must find out the name of the village/town your Grandparents came from
          > > and their religion. Galicia was a large province when it was under
          > > Austria.
          > > In fact, Galicia was the largest province in the Austria Empire at the
          > > time.
          > >

          > > Are there any other papers which may list their village?
          > >
          > > Once you have the village names, we can check to see which parish they
          > > were
          > > from and if there are microfilms available which cover the parishes. Next,
          > > you would order the films and search through them for the names you are
          > > searching.
          > >
          > > Hopefully the films will cover the time period of your nearest ancestors,
          > > or
          > > you will need to write to the archives.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Jim Onyschuk

        • Darrin Silvester
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
            Jim
            I will begin my search there.
            thanks so much for giving me the proper guidance.
            much thanks
            Darrin

            On 10/1/05, Jim Onyschuk <jodanji@...> wrote:

            > Hi Darrin:
            >
            > Checking the ShtetlSeeker, there are 23 Janowices listed.
            >
            > There are 4 Janowice villages listed in Lenius's Galizian Gazetteer.
            >
            > Janowice in the administrative district of Biala has its RC parish at
            > nearby
            > Bestwina.
            >
            > Janowice in the administrative district of Limanowa has its RC parish at
            > nearby Skrzydlna. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.
            >
            > Janowice in the administrative district of Tarnow has its RC parish at
            > nearby Zakliczyn. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.
            >
            > Janowice in the administrative district of Wieliczka has its RC parish at
            > nearby Wieliczka. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.
            >
            > So you'll need to locate a nearby town to zero in on your Janowice.
            >
            > Your getting closer. You may want to check out,
            >
            > http://www.torugg.org/Researching%20Your%20Roots/researching_roots_steps.htm
            > This page walks you through the search process.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Jim Onyschuk

          • Darrin Silvester
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
              Jim,
              What is the ShtetlSeeker?
              Thanks
              Darrin

              On 10/1/05, Jim Onyschuk <jodanji@...> wrote:

              > Hi Darrin:
              >
              > Checking the ShtetlSeeker, there are 23 Janowices listed.
              >
              > There are 4 Janowice villages listed in Lenius's Galizian Gazetteer.
              >
              > Janowice in the administrative district of Biala has its RC parish at
              > nearby
              > Bestwina.
              >
              > Janowice in the administrative district of Limanowa has its RC parish at
              > nearby Skrzydlna. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.
              >
              > Janowice in the administrative district of Tarnow has its RC parish at
              > nearby Zakliczyn. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.
              >
              > Janowice in the administrative district of Wieliczka has its RC parish at
              > nearby Wieliczka. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.
              >
              > So you'll need to locate a nearby town to zero in on your Janowice.
              >
              > Your getting closer. You may want to check out,
              >
              > http://www.torugg.org/Researching%20Your%20Roots/researching_roots_steps.htm
              > This page walks you through the search process.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Jim Onyschuk

            • Jim Onyschuk
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
                Hi Darrin:

                Here's the ShtetlSeeker site; http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/

                Click on "Search Towns by Name." Input the town you are looking for. Then on
                the drop-down menu adjacent "Narrow the search by a specific country?" click
                on Poland, etc.

                Here's my personal site:
                http://www.onyschuk.com/ and the TUGG site: http://www.torugg/

                The site I gave you last did not come up due to a missing letter at the end
                of the URL. It should have been html not htm. Here's that site corrected.