Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Frank Tyka Family

  • Darrin Silvester
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2005
      Hello Jim:
      I thank you so much for the quick note and assistence in my search. My
      family came from Janowice in 1904. Franciczek Tyka came in March of that
      year and his wife and family came in September 1904. Her name is Stefania,
      son Thadius (Theodore), and a daughter Ewa (Evelyn). Two nephews arrived in
      December 1909, one's name is Joseph Tyka and the other was Niklaj Palucki.
      They all arrived in Ellis Island and made their way to Wilkesbarre,
      Pennsylvania. My grandmother, a daughter of theirs born in 1910 was Catholic
      as is my mother. My grandmother once told me that her father was quite
      religious and spent much of his time their as he got older and lived in
      Detroit. Hopefully that answers a few of the questions. How might I find a
      Polish family, living in Janowice, Galicia and was of the catholic faith.
      Thanks for any leads you might give me, I really appreciate it.
      Darrin Silvester

      On 9/30/05, Jim Onyschuk <jodanji@...> wrote:

      > Hello Darrin:
      >
      > You must find out the name of the village/town your Grandparents came from
      > and their religion. Galicia was a large province when it was under
      > Austria.
      > In fact, Galicia was the largest province in the Austria Empire at the
      > time.
      >

      > Are there any other papers which may list their village?
      >
      > Once you have the village names, we can check to see which parish they
      > were
      > from and if there are microfilms available which cover the parishes. Next,
      > you would order the films and search through them for the names you are
      > searching.
      >
      > Hopefully the films will cover the time period of your nearest ancestors,
      > or
      > you will need to write to the archives.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Jim Onyschuk

    • Jim Onyschuk
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2005
        Hi Darrin:

        Checking the ShtetlSeeker, there are 23 Janowices listed.

        There are 4 Janowice villages listed in Lenius's Galizian Gazetteer.

        Janowice in the administrative district of Biala has its RC parish at nearby
        Bestwina.

        Janowice in the administrative district of Limanowa has its RC parish at
        nearby Skrzydlna. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.

        Janowice in the administrative district of Tarnow has its RC parish at
        nearby Zakliczyn. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.

        Janowice in the administrative district of Wieliczka has its RC parish at
        nearby Wieliczka. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.

        So you'll need to locate a nearby town to zero in on your Janowice.

        Your getting closer. You may want to check out,
        http://www.torugg.org/Researching%20Your%20Roots/researching_roots_steps.htm
        This page walks you through the search process.

        Regards,
        Jim Onyschuk

        I thank you so much for the quick note and assistence in my search. My
        family came from Janowice in 1904. Franciczek Tyka came in March of that
        year and his wife and family came in September 1904. Her name is Stefania,
        son Thadius (Theodore), and a daughter Ewa (Evelyn). Two nephews arrived in
        December 1909, one's name is Joseph Tyka and the other was Niklaj Palucki.
        They all arrived in Ellis Island and made their way to Wilkesbarre,
        Pennsylvania. My grandmother, a daughter of theirs born in 1910 was Catholic
        as is my mother. My grandmother once told me that her father was quite
        religious and spent much of his time their as he got older and lived in
        Detroit. Hopefully that answers a few of the questions. How might I find a
        Polish family, living in Janowice, Galicia and was of the catholic faith.
        Thanks for any leads you might give me, I really appreciate it.
        Darrin Silvester

        On 9/30/05, Jim Onyschuk <jodanji@...> wrote:

        > Hello Darrin:
        >
        > You must find out the name of the village/town your Grandparents came from
        > and their religion. Galicia was a large province when it was under
        > Austria.
        > In fact, Galicia was the largest province in the Austria Empire at the
        > time.
        >

        > Are there any other papers which may list their village?
        >
        > Once you have the village names, we can check to see which parish they
        > were
        > from and if there are microfilms available which cover the parishes. Next,
        > you would order the films and search through them for the names you are
        > searching.
        >
        > Hopefully the films will cover the time period of your nearest ancestors,
        > or
        > you will need to write to the archives.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Jim Onyschuk

        Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2005
          Hello Darrin,

          Ellis Island immigration records are avialable via the Internet.
          Immigration records provide birthplace. Records for places in Galicia,
          now located in either Poland and Ukraine, are extant.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2005
            Hello Darrin,

            There are five places in Galicia with the name Janowice and one has
            the name Janowce.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
              Jim
              I will begin my search there.
              thanks so much for giving me the proper guidance.
              much thanks
              Darrin

              On 10/1/05, Jim Onyschuk <jodanji@...> wrote:

              > Hi Darrin:
              >
              > Checking the ShtetlSeeker, there are 23 Janowices listed.
              >
              > There are 4 Janowice villages listed in Lenius's Galizian Gazetteer.
              >
              > Janowice in the administrative district of Biala has its RC parish at
              > nearby
              > Bestwina.
              >
              > Janowice in the administrative district of Limanowa has its RC parish at
              > nearby Skrzydlna. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.
              >
              > Janowice in the administrative district of Tarnow has its RC parish at
              > nearby Zakliczyn. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.
              >
              > Janowice in the administrative district of Wieliczka has its RC parish at
              > nearby Wieliczka. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.
              >
              > So you'll need to locate a nearby town to zero in on your Janowice.
              >
              > Your getting closer. You may want to check out,
              >
              > http://www.torugg.org/Researching%20Your%20Roots/researching_roots_steps.htm
              > This page walks you through the search process.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Jim Onyschuk

            • Darrin Silvester
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
                Jim,
                What is the ShtetlSeeker?
                Thanks
                Darrin

                On 10/1/05, Jim Onyschuk <jodanji@...> wrote:

                > Hi Darrin:
                >
                > Checking the ShtetlSeeker, there are 23 Janowices listed.
                >
                > There are 4 Janowice villages listed in Lenius's Galizian Gazetteer.
                >
                > Janowice in the administrative district of Biala has its RC parish at
                > nearby
                > Bestwina.
                >
                > Janowice in the administrative district of Limanowa has its RC parish at
                > nearby Skrzydlna. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.
                >
                > Janowice in the administrative district of Tarnow has its RC parish at
                > nearby Zakliczyn. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.
                >
                > Janowice in the administrative district of Wieliczka has its RC parish at
                > nearby Wieliczka. There are LDS microfilms available for this parish.
                >
                > So you'll need to locate a nearby town to zero in on your Janowice.
                >
                > Your getting closer. You may want to check out,
                >
                > http://www.torugg.org/Researching%20Your%20Roots/researching_roots_steps.htm
                > This page walks you through the search process.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Jim Onyschuk

              • Jim Onyschuk
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
                  Hi Darrin:

                  Here's the ShtetlSeeker site; http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/

                  Click on "Search Towns by Name." Input the town you are looking for. Then on
                  the drop-down menu adjacent "Narrow the search by a specific country?" click
                  on Poland, etc.

                  Here's my personal site:
                  http://www.onyschuk.com/ and the TUGG site: http://www.torugg/

                  The site I gave you last did not come up due to a missing letter at the end
                  of the URL. It should have been html not htm. Here's that site corrected.