RE: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re:families im researching Piela and Mierzwa

  • Lindy Kasperski
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2005
      Kris: I am not certain if this is what you were asking for:

      Access to obtain your GM's immigration record can be found at the National
      Archives website (www.collectionscanada.ca
      <http://www.collectionscanada.ca/> ) under "Immigration Records, 1925-1935".
      The link is here:

      http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s3=Piela
      <http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s3=Piela&s4=&s5=&s7=&s6=&
      Sect4=AND&l=20&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect5=FI76PEN&Sect6=HITOFF&d=FI76&p
      =1&u=http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02011802_e.html&r=6&f=G>
      &s4=&s5=&s7=&s6=&Sect4=AND&l=20&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect5=FI76PEN&Sect
      6=HITOFF&d=FI76&p=1&u=http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02011802_e
      .html&r=6&f=G

      For your GF's record is:

      http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s3=Mierzwa
      <http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s3=Mierzwa&s4=&s5=&s7=&s6
      =&Sect4=AND&l=20&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect5=FI76PEN&Sect6=HITOFF&d=FI76
      &p=1&u=http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02011802_e.html&r=1&f=G>
      &s4=&s5=&s7=&s6=&Sect4=AND&l=20&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect5=FI76PEN&Sect
      6=HITOFF&d=FI76&p=1&u=http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02011802_e
      .html&r=1&f=G

      Remember that at this time Galicia had become part of the Republic of
      Poland. The nationality of all immigrants coming from the former Galicia
      was listed as Polish; however there was another column (racial origin) that
      further clarified if the immigrant was Ukrainian, Polish, or other origin.

      This issue of "GenDobry" has information on using this National Archives of
      Canada source:

      http://www.polishroots.org/gendobry/GenDobry_vol3_no11.htm

      Lindy Kasperski

      www.lindykasperski.com <http://www.lindykasperski.com/>

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2005
        Kris,
        Which province in Canada did they settle in.
        Check with that provinces public archives and try and get land records. Also search for birth, marriage, & death certificates.
        If you can also get their naturalization information, which is very helpful. http://www.genealogie.gc.ca/06/0603_e.html

        Have you tried looking at film for the villlages in Galicia ?
        You will find micofilm listing's if you go to under FILE in Galicia -Poland Ukraine mailing list , on the main page. The Consistory of Lwow, Town index then you have to order the film from the Mormon Church.

        Angela

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2005
          Hi Kris:
          My grandparents came from Galicic to Passaic NJ.. If they are Catholic there is a Catholic Polish Church in Passaic.. I was able to get copies of my grandparents marriage AND baptismal info for their firstborn child. My grandparents then left Passaic back to Poland then back apparently to Passaic then to Toronto ONtario then to Kitchener. All by 1920...
          Have you checked the Ellis Island records?? Where did your grandparents work when in Passaic?? Passaic has an amazing library too!!
          Where did your grandparents go in Canada???
          Let me know...

          charlene.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2005
            kris wrote:

            > Recearching my moms parents from Galicia
            > my grandfather Alexander Mierzwa came from Kopki in Galicia to the Canada - late 1920, there is family in the states with that last name - but dont know who they are

            RC parish of Rudnik.

            > my grandmother - Katehrine Piela came from Kamien in Galicia
            > to canada. Her brothers and sister went to Passaic, New Jersey.

            There are three places called Kamien...one is near Kopki. The RC parish
            was Jezowe.

            > is there any way to trace info in those areas
            >
            > kris

          • kris
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 10, 2005
              Charlene
              sorry i did not get back to you sooner - just came accross this message

              my grand parents came directly to Canada from Poland. Its my grandmothers (onmo mothers side) 4 brothers and sisters - that went to New Jersey via Ellis Island. My grandmothers brother helped his sister and opend a chocolate company in NJ called Genevieve (dark chocolate , on the line of Laura Secord)

              when my grandparets came to canada - they came to pier 21 and then took the train out west. They came a different times. I don;t know how they met up with each other. My grandfather was working at the mines in Sudbury. some how my grandmother ended up there.

              I have family in the US - but they are not immediate family.